Photo

HELP TOPIC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,197 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:56 AM Edited by Ben, 24 June 2006 - 01:34 AM.

Need help? Well, this is the place to ask. Ignore most of the posts made throughout this topic as they are no longer relevant (because they're from old versions) - if you want to look for answers, you're best off starting with posts from 2006 only. And if you're using an old version, drop by the Download topic and get yourself the latest version (which is v6, or you can get v5b).

This topic is for people who have questions and/or require assistance with regards to installing the official version of LC - any problems with unofficial mods go in the Unofficial Mods topic, or you can drop a PM off to the author of the mod.

We will only be helping people who experience problems with v5b or v6 only - no other versions! (Note - this is as of June 24th, 2006).

Please read the first post of the FAQ topic before asking for help here - you'll find that there are many solutions to common problems there...

You can also post requesting for general assistance with LC, but try to keep general questions in the FAQ topic, and stuff that's wrong with LC in the BUGS topic.

Cheers, and good luck with getting any problems fixed wink.gif.

-------------------------------------------------------

NOTE - Yeah, I know there's lots of pages in this topic and it's hard to find relevant stuff, but most problems can be fixed by simply asking. After the public release of v7 I'll be making a new HELP topic with some more detailed installation instructions, and I'll be documenting solutions to common problems in the first post.

-Ben tounge.gif

PHM
  • PHM

Eh, you're talkin' to me?

• Members

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:04 PM

OK, I got some problems with the installer.
Game crashes @ Loadscreen.
Used a fresh version of VC, started with the launcher.
What did I do wrong?

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

What position did the rose loading bar reached?

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (PHM @ May 16 2004, 15:04)
What did I do wrong?

I got exactly the same problem.

But now, when i use the installer to open it it says "cannot open GTA Liberty City" or something.

killer.ip
  • killer.ip

GTA:LC Moderator

• Members

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

Although I doubt it's a problem with the installer you could have a shot at manually installing the files over a fresh install of VC.

Pretty simple, just delete the following folders from your VC install first:

/data
/icons
/models
/text
/txd

NOT /audio

In their place add the contents of the /source folder from the installer package, making sure you follow the Yes prompt when you overwrite files in the /audio folder.

Just make sure you run the game from the launcher too. wink.gif

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:02 PM

The installer basically does the following (in this order):

Deletes the data, models, text and txd folders
Deletes the audio files that will get replaced (not all)
Creates new folders
Copies in the main files, such as launcher
Copies in the subdirectories
Copies in the subdirectories of the subdirectories (such as data/gta3maps)
Copies in the audio
Copies the readme
Creates shortcuts

Which is in effect the same as manually installing... only longer.

If you install it over a modded version... the chances are there wont be any problems with it, because most files are deleted, then replaced.

The problem most likely lies in the launcher... if you could get a hold of the instructions for editing a gta-vc.exe manually, that may prove to be the solution.

Also, im not sure but having the gta-vc.exe version 1.1 may help, as the memory addresses and hex values or whatever needs to be edited by the launcher do differ between the versions, and I for one have always installed it over a 1.1 install because i simply copies my existing VC installation directory.

Hope you can get it fixed.
Smithers2.

RTD
  • RTD

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:19 PM

i get a strange message when i try to open the installer....

component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly reigistered: a file is missing or invalid

any ideas guys?

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:22 PM Edited by Smithers2, 16 May 2004 - 07:24 PM.

LINKAGE: Common Dialog 32 Control in the Visual Basic 6 Runtimes

It should install that file for you.

And for anyone whos interested:
Its needed for the Open Dialog at the beginning to locate the install you wish to replace.

That should solve it
Smithers2.

RTD
  • RTD

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Smithers2 @ May 16 2004, 19:22)
LINKAGE: Common Dialog 32 Control in the Visual Basic 6 Runtimes

It should install that file for you.

And for anyone whos interested:
Its needed for the Open Dialog at the beginning to locate the install you wish to replace.

That should solve it
Smithers2.

nope, still have the same message after installing that, i reinstalled that even though i already had it installed cos the message on the better release topic says that it requires it.

any other ideas ?

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:59 PM

Ok... backup plan. (I wish microsoft could distribute the files that people actually need in these packages, almost every program in VB needs this one.)

Common Dialog 32 Control Files

You should be able to just put it in the same folder as the installer, but if you wanna do the job properly then use this at run:

regsvr32 [FILENAME]

Put the file into the System32 folder in windows before running that command.

RTD
  • RTD

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

brilliant. problem solved!

biggrin.gif

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Hell No.. @ May 16 2004, 11:16)
QUOTE (PHM @ May 16 2004, 15:04)
What did I do wrong?

I got exactly the same problem.

But now, when i use the installer to open it it says "cannot open GTA Liberty City" or something.

Open gta-lc.ini and add the following line to the [Exe] section of the file:
CODE
ShowConfig=1

Now run the launcher and it should display the dialog that prompts you to enter the path to the exe. Type (or browse) the path to gta-vc.exe. Now press "Advanced" and check that the values for Buildings and Dummys are 9000 and 3000 respectively. If not, modify them and Apply the changes. Press "Launch" and see if that helps.

Stinger5
  • Stinger5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:51 PM

I also have a problem. My game runs without any sounds whatsoever. i read this in the launcher readme: "If even one of the wave paths points to a non-existing file, all sounds in the game dissapear." But I doin't know how to fix this. Please help!

killer.ip
  • killer.ip

GTA:LC Moderator

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:03 AM

It sounds as though the game files have copied across okay, otherwise you'd be getting a lockup at some point during loading. If you've got the extracted installer files kicking around try copying the contents of /source/audio (6 files) directly into the audio folder found in your LC installation directory.

Stinger5
  • Stinger5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:12 AM

There wasn't a /source/audio folder in the .rar installation folder I downloaded so I'll assume I downloaded a bad file. But it is 63.3 MB. I'm gonna try another download link and see if that file contains an audio folder.

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:17 AM

It should have probably been put in the readme, but I just realized it now. in order for sound to work you should have checked to install audio on disk when installing the game otherwise, it would try to load the new files from the cd and they are obviously not there.

You can make the game not use any of Liberty City sounds by invoking the config dialog in the launcher as in described in the post above. Go to advanced options and sort the list of wave table and wave paths by Modified flag. Select each modified entry and restore it to original value then apply the changes. The game should now have all the sounds, but you will not hear any sounds that come with LC release (these include Marty Chonks mission assignment and doors opening at safehouses).

EDIT:
There wasn't a /source/audio folder in the .rar installation folder I downloaded so I'll assume I downloaded a bad file. But it is 63.3 MB. I'm gonna try another download link and see if that file contains an audio folder.

Oh, that's why you didn't have sound. Probably the downlaod didn't finish correctly. Try redownloading the installer and then it shoudl work.

Stinger5
  • Stinger5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:24 AM

When installing the original game I did check the box to have the audio (radio stations) saved to my computer. I jsut downloaded another LC installer .rar file and it has a /source/audio file inside. I overwrote the audio files as killer.ip suggested in his psot and now I have sound! I'd like to thank you two for your help and the GTA: LC mod team for a great product!

MN316
  • MN316

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:42 AM Edited by MN316, 17 May 2004 - 02:49 AM.

I did a clean reinstall but my game still crashed. If you look at this pic thats where my loading bar gets to when it crashes
Link to pic
The number at the bottom is fraps so dont worry about that. I know I am going to new game for sure and the setup seems to run with no problems, any one have any suggestions

edit-

Never mind! I went to the installer folder then went to soruce folder and replaced all the files my self and it worked! It seems some of the data files didnt over write sneaky2.gif oh well, nice work LC team! rah.gif

azzza
  • azzza

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:52 AM

i couldn't find any mission shperes to start the gta3 missions that are in the vice city version. On the other hand if i want to code for GTAVC: LC would i have to stay with vice city codeing or can i use both?

[note:] gotta say this is one kick ass mod.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (azzza @ May 16 2004, 22:52)
if i want to code for GTAVC: LC would i have to stay with vice city codeing or can i use both?

Seeing as how you're notorious for not being able to code at all, I'm not sure it matters. But to answer your question, this is only GTA3 in appearance. The game is still VC.

There are no mission spheres. The only missions that exist are the offroads and Marty Chonks's The Crook. These missions did not have markers in GTA3.

azzza
  • azzza

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (Demarest @ May 17 2004, 15:11)
QUOTE (azzza @ May 16 2004, 22:52)
if i want to code for GTAVC: LC would i have to stay with vice city codeing or can i use both?

Seeing as how you're notorious for not being able to code at all, I'm not sure it matters. But to answer your question, this is only GTA3 in appearance. The game is still VC.

There are no mission spheres. The only missions that exist are the offroads and Marty Chonks's The Crook. These missions did not have markers in GTA3.

forgot to read the readme other then that an greate mod indeed.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:26 AM Edited by GT-1, 17 May 2004 - 10:31 AM.

Mmm 4 hrs now an guess what a problem, looks like im gonna have to d/l the file again yep real nice ehh. The .RAR file I got was 64, 072kb exactly but the others seem to be 62mb.
! Q:\program files\Rockstar Games\GTA-LC Installer.rar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
Im guessing that I have to unzip the archive to do anything, as it wont lemme even get the the readme or anything.

I guess that this mod was based around having a fast connection. confused.gif
So it looks like my file is f00k*d up nice n good.

It might have been when I changed from d/l from one source to another but this has never been a problem before.

Looks like the bugs, glitches, incompletes and pictures will have to wait.

Im pretty piss*d off atm, unless there is something that can be done but I dont think so, also I aint read this topic.

devil.gif GT-1 devil.gif

I jus thought of this but its probs wont work but im gonna d/l the new version of WinRAR. Maybe it could help.

Dave
  • Dave

Woof

• Feroci Racing

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:04 AM Edited by dayvemc, 17 May 2004 - 11:56 AM.

I followed the steps for the radio station conversion, but I still get the Vice radio stations, as they are on the CD. What have I done wrong?

EDIT: No worries, I've sorted it out now.
biggrin.gif

Lynk
  • Lynk

somebodysomewhere.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:16 PM

I Downloaded, but I cant install confused.gif

I run the setup for the installer, select my gtavc.exe file and then I get these errors :

user posted image

I Click Ok, and then get this :

user posted image

I have the visual basic runtimes installed and my VC was freshly installed when I was downloading the Mod.

Thanks in advance if you can help smile.gif

~Lynk

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

hmmmm........

The second error is because of the first one... i just programmed it to pickup on a windows error.

Make sure all the files are present in the source folder...

Failing that, manually copy the files.

PM me if you need more help with that.

Lynk
  • Lynk

somebodysomewhere.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Smithers2 @ May 17 2004, 14:48)
Make sure all the files are present in the source folder...

Failing that, manually copy the files.

I dont quite understand what you mean by source folder, Is that where the game is installed?

I Run the installler from my desktop and I have also placed one in the folder where the game is installed and still no luck.

How do I get to the files so I can install manually if that is the only way I can get round this ?

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:45 PM

The source folder is the folder where the files get installed FROM.

The directories for the installer should be like this (and this is how they are in the RAR... if you used something to extrace the files that doesnt support directories in the archive, it would explain it) anyways:

Installer/
.....Setup.exe
.....Source/
..........data/
..........models/
..........etc etc...

So if the source folder aint there... then the files wont get copies, the files arnt embedded in the exe like some installers.

If you want to manually install it, the copy the files from the source/ folder accross into the games folder, its not as tidy, and leaves un-needed files, but if it works for you, might be worth a try.

Hope you get it working.
Smithers.

Rufus
  • Rufus

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:48 PM

user posted image

As soon as I click the installer thats what I get. Somebody said something about it being the file I downloaded, but I got it from the original link.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:55 PM

From the first post in the official release thread:
QUOTE (Demarest)
It requires the VB6 runtimes available here.

Rufus
  • Rufus

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:57 PM

If thats directed at me, I have already installed them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users