MONEY SYSTEM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

What a mess. Programming for Nomad v5 has shown me that something I thought would be a thorn is in fact a complete briar patch!

Money. VC was deisgned to take place in the past, so a lot of the money was rolled back. That's not a problem on the surface. You look at the way insane stunts are calculated, the bonuses for hidden packages, the cost of spraying, etc... It all leads up to one simple solution: cut all money to 1/10th of what it was in GTA3. If EVERYTHING is reduced by the same factor, then it's GTA3 authentic, right?

Well it's not so simple. First of all, keep in mind that HP money and Pay N Spray cost are HARD CODED. Many things are. Like money dropped by peds and the like. The environment is too hard-coded to have enough freedom over the money situation. The obvious solution is to cut everything to a 10th, but we can't.

Why not? Because the cost of pickups for sale is ALSO hard coded. That's not cool. And there's NO way to easily work around it for several reasons. One being that armor only costs $10 even though on the walls in VC, it's more like $200 notify.gif Plus the rocket launcher costs a lot less and gives you 3 times as many rockets.

I can do the AmmuNations and Phil's place in a "frozen while you choose" method like VC's shops use, BUT that will be a fair share of coding and will NOT be GTA3 authentic. In a way, this is a lot like the cutscene dilemna. We simply do not have a choice.

So I'm asking what everybody thinks. If I had it my way, you could shop through a menu-styled system like VC's AmmuNations. This would allow me to control the cost, ammo, etc to make it in line with GTA3's schematics. The only downside is it won't be GTA3 authentic in terms of looks and execution. I'm willing to forego that as it appears necessary if we're going to get any uniformity out of shopping.

So I'm looking for a green light to do the AmmuNations, Phil's and SSV's supply shop in this manner. I'm also looking for a green light on making it official that LC's cash system be 1/10th of GTA3's. If it is blanket across the board like the engine is already designed, it will still be authentic. It just means I'll have to code the missions with 1/10th the reward; not that big of a deal. Let me know your thoughts before I get too deep into it.

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

I think the Vice shopping system (let's say VSS for short) is better, because you have a better overview then in GTA3.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:19 PM

I like your method of thinking demarest. I feel GTA VC money was to easy to come by so I vote for the simulated 1/10th method. Your example looks to be more like 1/20th though tounge.gif

You realise you can't have a 100% perfect port and if you did it would be better popping in GTA3 unless your comp is like mine and prefers VC!

killer.ip
  • killer.ip

GTA:LC Moderator

• Members

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:40 PM

Go for it man, by all accounts this has been thought through and you've worked out the way it should be played... if it's going to be a mess going down the GTA3 road then I'm prepared to accept the functionality VC's method presents. smile.gif

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (DeRCT13 @ Mar 24 2004, 16:45)
I think the Vice shopping system (let's say VSS for short) is better, because you have a better overview then in GTA3.

I agree

RaverBoy
  • RaverBoy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:55 PM

Perhaps by modifying the exe? You are remaking Vice into another product by R*, so by modifying it to be like its predecessor might be questionable.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:12 AM

But no one knows how yet.

I like the 1/10 method. In GTA3, money was a joke. I can get 7 million dollars by doing only missions.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (MarkPagliaro @ Mar 24 2004, 14:19)
Your example looks to be more like 1/20th though tounge.gif

Only if you're talking about VC's own interpretation of Body Armor cost. I get 1/10th from the way the Pay N Spray and hidden packages are hard coded tounge.gif

Make no mistake, LC will still have ridiculous money just as GTA3 did. It's just a matter of HOW we do it. Since it appears that I have the majority's blessing to take it into my own hands, then I'll try to make the team proud smile.gif

Thanks to killer.ip for acknowledging all the time I've already put into considering this whole thing. I try, but I still want the public's input since that is the nature of this mod colgate.gif Not to mention that I just HATE that I have to do it differently from GTA3. But as Mark pointed out, we're just doing the best we can in the limited environment we had. I just hate doing it because I'm all over this forum spouting "GTA3 authentic!" and then have to trun around and cross the line myself. Makes me feel dirty tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users