GTA Long Night Demo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic
UnseenThreat
  • UnseenThreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2004 - 03:45 PM

I think someone should make a walkthrough to this demo... lol. i have no damn clue what to do after you get to the military base... i just finally get ganged up on by the zombie people and then i cant move. what's that jewel thing theyre talking about? anyways, this is an awesome mod and i hope you release the full version sometime soon.

MONSTER SQUAD
  • MONSTER SQUAD

MONSTER SQUAD: Evil Genius, Arch Nemisis, Super-Villain, Nogoodn

• Members

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:40 PM

LONG NIGHT WALKTHROUGH

Before starting, remember that you are going to have to keep moving in a dead run throughout this entire game, because the zombies will quickly overcome you if you dont. These zombies run fast and there are a LOT of them. They will usually bite and rip you apart, but in some cases if you are cornered, there can be so many of them packed tightly around you that you just cant move to get away..or jump over them...and you will be too close to even use your weapons to much effect.
------------
DAWN OF THE DEAD

Starting, you will be behind the counter in the coffee shop at the mall and be armed with a shotgun. You don't need weapons to make it through...in fact if you stop to shoot one zombie, it is easy to be overcome by 10 more zombies...so put the shotgun away and go empty handed because you can run faster and sometimes sprint if you need to if you are empty handed.

ESCAPING THE MALL

Run around the counter and out the front door of the the coffee shop. As soon as you exit the door, all the lights in the mall will go out. You need to ette emergency lights on to see a little, so exiting the coffee shop run to the left toward the glowing pink/purple pick-up. Just run through it, dont bother to stop, the emergency lights will come on. Now there is a golfcart near by, but ignore it (and other in-mall vehicles) because it is slow moving and easy to be pulled out of. All the usual exits from the mall will be blocked. After turning on the emergency lights run into the Gash clothing store (if you make the corner sharp enough zombies will have a hard time following) and get the armor pick-up down the asile to the left around the corner. Keep moving, you will have noticed a TIMER is running and so are the zombies. Now go around to the other side of the Gash store and run up the in-store escalator to the 2nd level. Behind the counter is a machine gun to grab, so grab it then go to empty hand and keep running out the 2nd Floor door of Gash and down the escalator to the first floor of the mall. Now you will notice a biker gang is fighting the zombies too. For the most part the bikers wont bother you because they are a bit busy, but still dont trust them.

SEEING THE LIGHT

Now you could run into Ammunation or the Hardware store because there are more weapons to be had there, but dont do it. I've been trapped there by sheer numbers of zombies before. Instead, you will be running ALL THE WAY to the other (North?) end of the mall to turn on the main mall lights. The switch to turn them on will be another glowing pink/purple pick-up located in pretty much the same place as the emergency power switch was except at the OPPOSITE END of the mall (Near the sweepstakes car on the platform). Once this is turned on, the light level in the mall will be up to normal. Enjoy it while you can, it's a long dark night.

LET'S GET DRUNK!

Next, run to the jewelry store. Behind the counter are weapons and whisky! The whisky will give you 125 health, but will also give you that wacky drunk vision like you have in the VC mission where the Boomshine exploded and you had to drive Phil to the hospital. Sure, it's a bit annoying, but you will thank me for it later because you can actually SEE BETTER after drinking the whisky and this is a dark game. Also keep in mind, if you are wounded you can come back and get more whisky...and if need be you can also go back to the Gash store at any time for more armor. Let's move. Jump over the counter and get the hell out of here.

ROCKIN WITH THE UNDEAD

Now run across to the mid-mall escallators near the food court and head upstairs to the music store. There is another health pick-up in the music store, but more importantly there are candy vending machines. Run through the pink glowing pick-up next to the candy vending machine, then run through the other glowing pick-up next to the CD / Bookrack. This should have turned off the timer for you, unless it is just a glitch in my version of the game.

FRESH AIR

Ready to leave the mall? Good. Follow me. But first we're going to pick up a rocket launcher on the 2nd floor above near where the 2nd light switch was on the 1st floor. After you pick that up, backtrack, the only exit from the mall is the 2nd floor exit between the rocket launcher and the music store that leads to the multi story carpark...

NO TURNING BACK

Did I mention that now you have left the mall, you cant go back in it? Who would want to return to that festering hellhole anyway?

WAIT FOR THE BLACKOUT

Once outside you will notice it is VERY VERY VERY dark out. That is because assumingly there is a major power blackout in the city, caused by this emergency zombie situation no doubt. Now aren't you glad you drank the whisky? Because if you did you can probably see 3-4 times better than if you didn't drink it. In the carpark ignore the Infernus parked in front of you, as well as the motorcycles to your right. You need a car that is not as fragile as an Infernus and bikes are too easy to crash or be knocked off of by zombies.

Although parked on the next level up is a Haitian Voodoo, I suggest going one level down and getting Romero's Hearse instead. Why? Because it can take a lot of damage AND because George ROMERO was the name of the film director that made NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, and DAY OF THE DEAD which are three movies this game is based on. Plus hearses are cool, so what more reason to you need? Also, there won't be anymore cars to be easily gotten between here and where you are going.

THE CURSE OF THE HEARSE

Get in the Undead Sled (Hearse), turn to the right, and drive down the exit ramp. Now be careful, because zombies on foot are probably running at you as soon as you are down on the next level. The exit from the car park that you want to take is the northwest one, because the other one is mostly blocked by a bus.

KILL CITY U.S.A.

By now you should have gotten a on-screen prompt telling you to get to the military base "...if there still IS a Military" for help. So drive there already! Keep in mind none of the Pay 'N' Sprays will be open in this emergency and the streets will be empty except for maybe the occasional VERY BUSY emergency vehicle. Frankly speaking, if you end up on foot for whatever reason you are screwed, because you will have to go all the way back to the mall parking lot for another car (another Hearse or whatever will have appeared there). Anyway, avoid the crowds of hungry zombies because even though you can run them over, it messes up your car and if enough of them overpower your car you cant drive through them and they will pull you out of the car and eat you. Anyway, get to the military base.

ZOMBIE ARMY

Once at the base the following will happen...

1. If you are on foot (Lord help you) you are screwed. You will approach the gates and be told you can't open the gate and enter until you have a red jewel, a crank and some other crap. Don't take this litterally, it is just a wry reference to the Resident Evil game. But as things are you will not be able to jump over the gates, you will be quickly overrun by zombies, or you will be snuffed by soldiers with flame throwers and machine guns.

2. Dont get out of the car, floor the go pedal and smash right through the gates to get inside. I know, now the zombies can get in too, but it is your only way in. Once inside the base, get out of the car and run back to the gates. There will now be an onscreen prompt "...SECURITY BREACH!..." thing.

CUT TO: Now you will suddenly become a guard up on the tower just north of the gate. You will be fireproof I believe, you will have 150 health / 125 armor, and although you are now another person you are stiill drunk from the whisky your first character drank at the mall.. You will get an onscreen prompt to "get down there and shoot the intruders" or some such nonsense. Do whatever you feel like though, because you have only one task left to do...

SEND MORE COPS, SEND MORE PARAMEDICS

Across on the opposite side of the military compound gates, behind the other gate tower is a building with a glowing pink pick-up next to it on the ground. Run through the pick-up to send for help. You will get a on-screen prompt saying "REINFORCEMENTS FROM RACCOON CITY" (another Resident Evil reference) are on the way. Now climb the stairs and get on top corner of the building to wait for the rescue helicopter.

NO ESCAPE

Cut Scene: The helicopter arrives. Sometimes it lands there on the roof next to you, sometimes it crashes. But this is where my game usually makes the "CLUNK OF DOOM" sound and freezes up. The one time I didn't get the clunk the heli just disappears and I have 100 health again and am just standing there being zombie bait. I tried jumping off the roof and calling for more help, another helicopter came and the same thing kept happening over and over again. If anyone was able to get farther, let me know, but I have a feeling that because this is just a DEMO of the game, this is where it ends.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
R.I.P.

Sad news. I've been told by a couple people that Hellfish, the creator of this mod, has recently been hit by a car and killed. So apparently all we will ever have of this great game mod is the demo, because the full version was never completed. That is also why we havent heard from him in here for awhile. Because a working verson of this mod demo is no longer available for download, it has become a rarity. I had assumed that there were other people working on the Hellfish mod team, but haven't been able to locate any proof of this. My deepest sympathies go to his friends and family.

What I will try to do however, if possible, to keep this mod demo alive is to make it a part of the next upgraded version release of the GTA:UNDEAD mod, which I will assume is alright unless I hear otherwise from members of his team, friends, or family.

UnseenThreat
  • UnseenThreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:39 PM

@ MONSTERSQUAD: Thanks for that walkthrough... it's a big help. I hope what you heard about hellfish isn't true... thats horrible if it is. let's hope he comes on and proves us wrong. but anyways, i can't wait to try your mod out, and even though i suck at modding anything, if you want i'll try to help out w/ it.

smokinjoe
  • smokinjoe

angry kid

• Members

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:53 PM

holy sh*t, that's terrible... he did a great job on this mod - i feel bad that i didnt get to know him at all... did anyone here know him well?

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (MONSTER SQUAD @ Jun 18 2004, 14:40)

R.I.P.

Sad news. I've been told by a couple people that Hellfish, the creator of this mod, has recently been hit by a car and killed. So apparently all we will ever have of this great game mod is the demo, because the full version was never completed. That is also why we havent heard from him in here for awhile. Because a working verson of this mod demo is no longer available for download, it has become a rarity. I had assumed that there were other people working on the Hellfish mod team, but haven't been able to locate any proof of this. My deepest sympathies go to his friends and family.

What I will try to do however, if possible, to keep this mod demo alive is to make it a part of the next upgraded version release of the GTA:UNDEAD mod, which I will assume is alright unless I hear otherwise from members of his team, friends, or family.

WTF?!
Is that true?
Man, life can be a total bitch at times.
Hellfish I hope this is just a rumor/or whatever, if not my regards, Hope you mafe it to heaven.

DJ_Professor_K
  • DJ_Professor_K

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:21 PM

if thats really true, then rest in peace my friend, and thx 4 all of your hard work, making us fun mods 4 our enjoyment

u will never forget u, becose, the ones that make things i like, i never forget them, and u made a great mod (ok demo) (and 2 everyone that helped him 2)

ok, now this isnt a bad way of ......... ok, cant anyone pick up his work and continue his mod? ok that would be stealing, but make a mod, on a mod, that isnt stealling, it would be like desert combact extended (desert combact is a mod for battlefield v1942, and a "comunity", modified the desert combact mod, so it would have more things...), so, how about it? make more missions, and remove that darn clock?

ok thats all

cya

Carl Johnson
  • Carl Johnson

|-!San-Andreas!-|

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:14 PM

cryani.gif NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is dead I saw in a newspaper! sad.gif!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UnseenThreat
  • UnseenThreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:38 AM

sh*t, man. sad.gif that really, really sux. the gta world has lost a great modder and my go to condolences to his friends and family, who lost even more than that.

hellfish
  • hellfish

Long Night Creator

• Members

Posted 20 June 2004 - 06:09 AM Edited by hellfish, 20 June 2004 - 09:12 PM.

There are two people who make up the Fighting Hellfish, and both of us are still alive, working on the mod.

Monster-Squad, I'm glad you enjoyed the mod, and I'm sorry you had so much trouble finding a working version, but the mod should have downloads on several sites. The problem was a release that was followed immediately by an updated release because we originally posted a buggy main.scm. The download actually needs a 0.1 version scm to work properly (assuming everything works the way we meant it). But I know the code is probably buggy anyways, as neither of us make a living hunched over missionbuilder. Sorry guys. It should be addressed in the update.

As for releasing a version of Long Night along with elements of GTA:Undead, combining with other mods isn't something we really want to do. I have no illusions about being able to stop you from releasing a combined version of the mods, but if you're asking, then I'm afraid the answer's no. A lot of time and hard work went into this project, and we believe it should be a stand-alone. If anybody feels the need for your band to kill our zombies, nobody's stopping them from downloading both and making the swap on their own computer. We just ask you don't release such a thing.

That was a lenghty, and much needed walkthrough but there's a few things that were left out:

If you go into the office of the coffee shop when the game first starts, there will be 6000 dollars which can be used for buying health (from the soda stand next to the Sandking) on the desk. You can also get a glimpse of just who the hero is if you check out the photo here with a sniper scope.

After you get drunk, you can turn off the effect by walking up to the coffee machine behind the counter of the coffee bar. There's not a marker, but it should work none the less.

I would also recommend grabbing the chainsaw from the hardware store, as it's the best weapon in the game and makes getting out when surrounded by zombies a breeze. Just let her rip as you walk. (For more fun I reccomend walking backwards while using the chainsaw, and watch the zombies walk right into it.)

If you can manage to get on top of the soda stand near the Sandking you will get an M4, as well as a pair of running shoes (infinite sprint) which makes things much nicer when your car gets totaled.

The timer is disabled by reading the "Zombie Survival Guide" in the record store, but only after you have turned the lights back on. You can also read an issue of GTO and pick up some better fighting skills while you are here.

After exiting the mall from the second floor exit, grab one of the PCJ's on your right and use the Packer as a ramp to make it on to the mall roof. From here head to the very top and you will find a VCN Maverick, and things are a lot easier with a helicopter.

At the base gate, you can just use a chainsaw to tear the gate down. After you become a soldier, you can call for reinforcements, which drop in on a Hunter. After the Hunter arrives, you become the reinforcements. You can do this as many times as you like, or you can not do it all. To start your next mission jump over the left fence from one of the left towers, and make your way to the Dunebuggy on the Helipad. You'll have to find a ramp to get out of this section of the base, but from here you need to get to the Lighthouse and make your way to the balcony. Ignore the blips that show up on the lifeguard huts, as they are the other guy's rude idea of a joke. The key is actually on one of the lifeguard huts that doesn't have a radar blip.

All this follows the game the way it is intended to work, at least.

As for the progress of the mod, we are still working on it and plan to release a new version of it when it is ready. We have a video of some of our progress...I'll see about posting it somewhere in the next few days.

We haven't been checking the forums because we've been juggling several different projects. One thing we've been considering is releasing a series of Long Night videos (think Red vs. Blue, but good) followed by a few missions following the survivors from the videos as they make their way through the zombie apacolypse.

So, until then, enjoy blasting the endless hordes of the Long Night demo. As a personal favorite, I recommend checking out the driving range on the golf course. Blasting down zombies with a mini-gun as they come running up those stairs is a blast.

Carl Johnson
  • Carl Johnson

|-!San-Andreas!-|

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:04 PM

Woah wtf....then who made the newspaper....

Anyway can someone make a vid of it from start to end because my games
screwed up.

Thnx in advance!

MONSTER SQUAD
  • MONSTER SQUAD

• Members

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:32 PM Edited by MONSTER SQUAD, 20 June 2004 - 09:39 PM.

Hellfish!

To paraphrase Escape From New York "Snake Plisskin...I heard you were dead", and I heard it from several trusted sources in the mod community, which is very annoying. Good you hear you are still alive and kicking!

As for the release of Long Night, your wish is my command. I was just going to bust some code and include it as an extra added mission to keep the mod alive and out there, it was too good to lose. But understood, as a stand alone it is great.

Looking forward to more from you, because it's so good to see likeminded modders out there. Let's work together on something, eh? Contact be at [email protected]

Also, feel free to use my walkthrough (with your added bits of course). Might be good to include it with the mod in a notepad in future releases.

All best,

Tecate
  • Tecate

Long Night Creator

• Members

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (MONSTER SQUAD @ Jun 20 2004, 21:32)

Also, feel free to use my walkthrough (with your added bits of course). Might be good to include it with the mod in a notepad in future releases.

We actually discussed including a walk through. Ultimately, we decided the mod ought to be experienced authentically by the player, rather than have them go down a checklist of 'what to do next' and leaving them with a bored feeling. The communities have been good with coming to the aides of others [how to turn off timer/how to get out of the mall, so on and so forth] that get stuck.

Also, it's readily available for download on a variety of sites. Just type GTA LONG NIGHT into google.

As soon as we get a team of migrant programmers in from Korea, expect big results and updates.

BarraGT
  • BarraGT

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:50 AM

Oh, that's crazy work! Awesome job!

MadeInThe80s
  • MadeInThe80s

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:31 AM

Does this game have peds making zombie like noises? It could definately be a creepy mod if that was added in, just like inane mumbling and groans.

Spidey.
  • Spidey.

Secret Wars

• Members

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

I played this mod... And man it was one good mod.... After i learned how to shut off the time it got kind of boring because all you could do was blast away zombies..not that theres anything wrong with kill zombies.

But man, if vehicles were availible places that would be nice.
-OGF

MONSTER SQUAD
  • MONSTER SQUAD

• Members

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:45 PM Edited by MONSTER SQUAD, 24 June 2004 - 12:30 AM.

QUOTE (hellfish @ Jun 20 2004, 06:09)
To start your next mission jump over the left fence from one of the left towers, and make your way to the Dunebuggy on the Helipad.

Ah, finally found the dunebuggy, but it took forever. I was looking over where the army heli is usually parked, not in the area that is all closed off.

Good stuff through and through. I like the added touch of the boat grounded on the beach too.

Still a 9/10 with plenty of cookie.gif 's

Couldn't find the Scarface reference though, unless you mean the almost subliminal flash of Brian DePalma. Most people wouldn't recognise him, but he has been one of my top favorite directors ever since PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE, which could very well be my favorite movie.

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Dud dats not gas, dats a chikn.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:16 PM Edited by Mealing, 29 June 2004 - 10:13 AM.

glad to hear that you're still working on the mod ^_^

I'm gonna have to download it again though.

*edit*
Few problems, some zombies showed up.. some still had human skins and also click here to see where the "CLUNK OF DOOM" happened tounge.gif

MONSTER SQUAD
  • MONSTER SQUAD

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (Mealing @ Jun 28 2004, 14:16)
click here to see where the "CLUNK OF DOOM" happened tounge.gif

For some reason the Clunk Of Doom usually comes when the Helicopter is dropping off reinforcements. It's always iffy right there, but if I make it past, the rest of the game is all good.

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:56 AM

Also, 1 thing i have noticed that there's a lot of zombie and as far as i know the VC engine can only handle 36 (i think) people on the screen at once..
Chances are that i'm wrong because i know bugger all about modding GTA but i'd be happy with someone could correct me.

Redkiller
  • Redkiller

German Pride

• Members

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

confused.gif I'm having an issue with this mod. As soon as the timer gets down to about 9:54, the game freezes. dontgetit.gif

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

• Members

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:20 AM

i got pretty far on it, when i requested backup from the little star thingy i became a guy with no armour but more weapons by the looks of things.. i managed to get to the beach where another timer started sad.gif so i used the last 10 minutes to do what hellfish suggested at the driving range on leaflinks ^_^

jusfreeman2003
  • jusfreeman2003

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:30 PM

goodjob cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Vengence
  • Vengence

retired account

• Members

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

I'm loving it! Excellent mod cookie.gif

Zachstar
  • Zachstar

Fusi0n Rul3s!

• Members

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:36 AM

Hey if you are interested im writing a script for a voice bit that will be the only radio station during the emergency. An emergency broadcast from the base.

Im adding alot to it so it can be cut and edited as you wish.

So interested?

If so I can have the bit recoreded on my dads studio in a few days time.

hellfish
  • hellfish

Long Night Creator

• Members

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.

Zachstar
  • Zachstar

Fusi0n Rul3s!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:01 AM

confused.gif alright

Lol yall are really determined to do this yourselves

Oh man and I had the script completely written too confused.gif

THREEX7SIXTY9
  • THREEX7SIXTY9

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:32 AM Edited by THREEX7SIXTY9, 04 August 2004 - 03:28 AM.

after all of that i definitly have got to try this out ,
so if possible, can sum-1 ,mainly the creator post a link to the best working version of this killer mod , thank you in advance ,

hellfish
  • hellfish

Long Night Creator

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:37 AM

Zach, we are for the most part forcing ourselves to be self-sufficient, but the radio station edits are something we are even sure we can do, much less what we are going to do with them. Current planning is to make one station only.

As for a current build of the game check out GTA Long Night v0.1
Though it says it is V0.2 it actually appears to be 0.1. You should be able to download a patch at the gamer's alliance. I'll try to get the actual link soon.
Let me know what you think of it.

dumtard
  • dumtard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:32 AM

could you make all the newest up to date patches, extras, sounds,etc. into one full gta long night demo v0.3? PLEEEEASE because my computer that has a bug in the internet has gta vc and img tool so i cant just put the mods on cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif .so if you,hellfish, could do that it would be great colgate.gif
sigh.gif

THe Naminator
  • THe Naminator

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:57 AM

Yo hellfish I really liked your mod ad the walkthrough (which I needed badly). Do u guys have a website? Also Is the new version comin out soon because i want more missions!? rah.gif rahkstar2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users