Photo

[REL|Tool] RW Analyze

72 replies to this topic
jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:14 PM

I'm catching on now. Just so you you know why I was confused, the pre-lighting that I ws using was the "pre-lighting" checkbox, not the "vertex color prelighting" checkbox. (see pic)

http://www.mods4us.n...2/pics/max1.gif

And when I open the resulting DFF with RW Analyze and go to the "stuct" section under "geometry" then this is what I see:

http://www.mods4us.n.../rwanalyze1.gif

Now I realize that the simple pre-light actually turns on vertex pre-light on full bright white for every single vertex (schroll down - color info). So now that I'm a bit more in the loop, here's my revised request: could you give us the ability to alter those entries? Like allow us to change the yes's to no's (and vise-versa) and even the ability to add, take away, and change the color info for each vertex? Hope it's not too much of a PITA. Thanks.

And getting rid of extras like normals, extensions, material effects (espectial alphas which are of no use in GTA since alphas are controlled by the TXD), and all other data that is useless to GTA, if you could make it so RW Anylize strips it all off then that would be stupendous.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

But... wait. Aren't normals how Vice figures out how to do back-of-face culling?

That is all.

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:59 AM Edited by jcab42, 09 August 2004 - 04:30 AM.

are you talking about 2-sided faces? You know illspirit has a nice tut on his webpage that shows you how to get two sided faces in VC, and I can say from experience that it doesn't matter whether you have the normals checked or not.

I just made a 2-sided face fix for an LC (landSW) fence and to test the theory I made a DFF with normals checked and another without normals. So far my testing indicates no difference. Here's the two files and the location of the fence if anyone wants to help me test it:

indsub_gate03(WithNormals).zip
indsub_gate03(WithoutNormals).zip

http://www.kosteleck...craig/jcab5.jpg

edit: oh wait, back-of-face culling is when you don't see back of a 1-sided face? Guess it would help if I knew all the terminology. Well as Steve said in the following post, normals don't matter for 1-sided faces either.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Opius)
But... wait. Aren't normals how Vice figures out how to do back-of-face culling?

Apparently not, since NONE of VC's model files except peds and vehicles have normals! Backface culling is quite simple, you don't need normals for that. A triangle has 3 vertices, and the order in which these 3 vertices (or their indices) are listed defines what is it's front.

QUOTE (jcab42)
could you give us the ability to alter those entries? Like allow us to change the yes's to no's (and vise-versa) and even the ability to add, take away, and change the color info for each vertex? Hope it's not too much of a PITA. Thanks.

You could change all that using a hex editor (double click on the section), if you know what you're doing.
The flags (yes and nos) just tell the parsing program what is contained in that section. If you set prelit to no, you also have to remove all the vertex colors; if you set normals to no, you have to remove the normals, or it will crash.
And believe me, you don't want to edit the vertex color of hundreds of vertices manually, especially since you don't know which vertex is which...

QUOTE (jcab42)
And getting rid of extras like normals, extensions, material effects (espectial alphas which are of no use in GTA since alphas are controlled by the TXD), and all other data that is useless to GTA, if you could make it so RW Anylize strips it all off then that would be stupendous.

Getting rid of normals - yes. But try deleting those (even empty) extensions and stuff - you will see VC crashes without them. The engine is not very tolerant. If you find something that can be deleted without problems, let me know.

QUOTE (jcab42)
are you talking about 2-sided faces? You know illspirit has a nice tut on his webpage that shows you how to get two sided faces in VC, and I can say from experience that it doesn't matter whether you have the normals checked or not.

To get 2-sided faces you either set a flag for that material (like explained in Illy's tut) or you select the faces, copy them, and flip them around. Of course the latter one eats up more space and performance, but you'll need it e.g. for characters, since there the 2-sided flag doesn't work.

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:14 PM

I've done alot of testing, and now I know what is causing my buggy DFF's. It's the reflection texture. Somehow if you add the reflections yourself it works fine, but sometimes Zmod spontaniously adds chrome.bmp as the reflection texture, and that causes all kinds of problems. I don't know what the difference is. The problems include not openable in Zmod, texture loss in Zmod, texture loss in moomapper, and the more buggy dff's you have, the quicker you can hit the gta3.img crash. Fortuanatly the fix is super easy. All you have to do is uncheck the reflection texture in either Zmod or 3ds Max. No need to feed it through RW Analyze, although RW Analyze is very handy for identifying buggy DFF's: the buggy parts will show up as red dot entries.

Steve: I still would love to at least have the ability to turn pre-light on and turn on all vertices to full 255's, just like 3ds Max does with the pre-light checkbox. Not such a great use of vertex pre-light, but at least it saves people from having to feed the DFF trough Zmod and Max to turn it on. Besides, zlot of modders out there don't have Max. You could make it a simple "pre-light" command instead of making every vertex editable.

Also, and this is more important to me, I would love it if you could figure out a way to upgrade 3.3 files to 3.4 as I think I found a use for it. I did try the function in it's current state and as I'm sure you already know, it looks alot like the 3.4 DFF's looked in kcow's old mapper, faces all out of place.

Other than that I've been finding this program to be totally awesome. When I get some free time I'll have to write a tut on how to use RW Analyze to bring unopenable DFF's back from the dead.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:59 AM

My apologies for being so late jcab,
Also, and this is more important to me, I would love it if you could figure out a way to upgrade 3.3 files to 3.4 as I think I found a use for it. I did try the function in it's current state and as I'm sure you already know, it looks alot like the 3.4 DFF's looked in kcow's old mapper, faces all out of place.

What use would that be?

The reflections change format several times, it differs for sure between 3.0 (max 3), 3.3, 3.4 (zmodeler export) and 3.6-3.7 (max 5, 6). Vice will recognize reflections from 3.0 and 3.3-3.4, but not 3.6-3.7 RWA, will not properly resave the reflections for 3.0. Check that, it is properly saving it, but there some funky stuff happening with reflections in that version anyway, the header size for the reflection maps is f*cked or something. steve can explain it better than i can.

Other news, and the actual reason im posting here - i dont think you can use reflection maps on characters / actors / players. Why would i anyway? I wanted to make a robot or cyborg-like creature, that had shiny metal limbs. I added the reflection map to the dff as perfectly as i can tell, and gta still wont use it. ive gotten white characters, but thats it.

Also, there might be other uses for vertex illumination, if they *could* become editable - they work on cars, so you could add prelighting to vehicles, in a non-textured way. Ive done this via exporting from max 6 (see the max r3 dff exporter topic, and do some searches, for max 6 dff availability) and i do beleive it may have a practical application.

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:40 AM

It's not so important to me any more but the reason I wanted to be able to upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 is because 3.4 handles transparencies better. I was trying to figure out a way to fix the GTA:LC Easy Credit Auto glitch without having to create a second revision model. As it is now you either get culling from the breakable glass or culling from the non-breakable glass. I could have made the non-breakable glass a new model but that would be yet a second revision for a conversion mod that's already loaded with 'em. I was hoping to find a solution that could possible eliminate all revision models. Of course the append feature would have to work right too.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:11 PM

dunno if you got my pm steve, so i'll post these here, since they dont really have any other place anyway..

RwLight Struct Definition (type id 0x12), 24 bytes:
float radius/attenuation
float (0-1.0) light color red
float (0-1.0) light color green
float (0-1.0) light color blue
float(?) spotlight falloff (dont know how its calculated)
word always "3"
word light type, 02 is Skylight, 03 is Directional light, 80(hex) is an Omni light, 81(hex) is Spotlight

0253F2FC (SA RefMat) Definition;
float (0-1.0) reflection map image intensity red (the refmap this refers to, is defined in the material its a part of)
float (0-1.0) refmap intensity green
float (0-1.0) refmap intensity blue
float (0-1.0) refmap intensity alpha
float refmap image multiplier. set to 100, and the refmap is at full power WITH the spec
dword always 00

0253F2F6 (SA SpecMat) Definition;
float (o-1.0) specular reflection level
string "vehiclespecdot64" - i dont know if this can be changed, in every material that uses it, its the same though.
dword string terminator, always 00
dword unknown, always 00

and alter your re_secs.ini, miscellaneous section to this, so they dont read as "unknown"
0253F2F6=SA SpecMat
0253F2FA=SA Appended COL
0253F2FC=SA RefMat

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

Yep, I got them, thanks a lot. Will update ASAP.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:09 AM

w00t! gta:sa 2dfx lights are stored per model now. heres the pertinent info-

CODE
section type: 0x0253f2f8 (GTA Light)
size: 68(hex) bytes total for the first light, counting the 4 bytes at the begining as the count. each additional light is 64h.

int lightcount
float x pos (position relative to parent!)
float y pos
float z pos
dword unknown
dword unknown
byte color r
byte color g
byte color b
byte unknown always C8 (200d)
dword unknown
float light radius (area it actually illuminates)
dword unknown
float corona 1 image size
float corona 2 image size
string corona image 1 name

unknown data

string corona image 2 name
int light type ? (flashing, night, day, etc - exact parameters unknown atm)
dword unknown

updated rw_secs.ini
CODE
# Miscellaneous: ----------------------
F21E=ZModeler Lock
0253F2F6=SA SpecMat
0253F2F8=GTA Light
0253F2F9=GTA Unknown
0253F2FA=SA Appended COL
0253F2FC=SA RefMat
0253F2FD=BinMesh Ext
0253F2FE=Frame

still don't know what GTA Unknown (0x0253f2f9) is exactly, but it appears to have one dword entry for every face on the corresponding geomtry, preceded a by an unkown int for the first 4 bytes of the section.

BinMesh Ext (0x0253f2fd) seems to just be a 00 integer. it adds 4 bytes to the size, but thats it as far as i know atm.

GTA lights can be found in some map objects, most of the Helicopters, the baggage car. theres probably a lot more, but those are the only ones i've checked so far.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:22 AM Edited by steve-m, 17 June 2006 - 02:26 PM.

Just been looking at the 2dfx section (0x0253F2F8) and found some interesting stuff.

The section starts with a 4 byte int, which is the number of 2dfx entries. Each entry begins like this:
CODE
12b - 3*float - Position Vector (xyz)
4b  - int     - Entry Type
4b  - int     - Data Size

"Entry Type" defines the type of the 2dfx entry, and "Data Size" the number of bytes that follow the first 20, until the next entry starts.

Entry Type 0 - Light (80 bytes)
CODE
4b  - 4*byte - RGBX, where X = 200d
4b  - float  - draw distance
4b  - float  - outer range
4b  - float  - size
4b  - float  - inner range
4b  - 4*byte - parameters (unknown)
1b  - ?      - padding???
24b - string - corona texture name
24b - string - shadow texture name
3b  - ?      - padding???
4b  - float  - unknown

Entry Type 1 - Particle Effects (24 bytes)
CODE
24b - string - particle effect name (entry in effects.fxp)

Entry Type 7 - Street Signs (88 bytes)
CODE
20b - 5*float - various unknown coordinates
2b  - word    - number of lines used
64  - string  - sign text, 16 byte per line
2b  - ?       - padding

The lines can start with arrows, such as '<', '^' and '>'; also '_' is used instead of a whitespace. Example from c*nteroads_58.dff:
CODE
^_Martin_Bridge_
^_B/Berry_Acres_
<_Panopticon____

- - - - -

My own updates to RW_Secs.ini:
CODE
# Miscellaneous: ----------------------
F21E=ZModeler Lock

# R*^ Custom Defs: --------------------
0253F2F0=Unknown 1 [R*]
0253F2F1=Unknown 2 [R*]
0253F2F2=Unknown 3 [R*]
0253F2F3=Unknown 4 [R*]
0253F2F4=Unknown 5 [R*]
0253F2F5=Unknown 6 [R*]
0253F2F6=Specular Material [R*]
0253F2F7=Unknown 8 [R*]
0253F2F8=2dfx [R*]
0253F2F9=Night Vertex Colors [R*]
0253F2FA=Collision Model [R*]
0253F2FB=Unknown 12 [R*]
0253F2FC=Reflection Material [R*]
0253F2FD=Mesh Extension [R*]
0253F2FE=Frame [R*]
0253F2FF=Unknown 16 [R*]

Dunno if any of the unknowns are used.
0253F2F9 are the vertex colors used by SA at night, this is implemented in my Map Viewer since version 0.5 alpha 3. The first value seems to be a float, not sure about that yet.
0253F2FD looks like an extra mesh, with lots of different data, still have to look into that.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:25 PM

Entry Type 7 - Street Signs (88 bytes)
CODE
20b - 5*float - various unknown coordinates
2b  - word    - number of lines used
64  - string  - sign text, 16 byte per line
2b  - ?      - padding

ho ho ho! the light 2dfx work on vehicles, maybe the signs can be adapted too (delivery trucks?)
i looked at a few DFF's for the 2dfx text (that i just quoted) and didnt find any. what files specificly have you run across that have it?

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:23 AM

I'm not sure, I couldn't even get the texts to work on static map objects, no matter what I tried. Dunno if it's somehow hardcoded to project only on the default signs. It's quite hard to test, since all of them are placed via binipl files.

Also, do you have more information about the 2dfx light, such as what parameter defines whether they are only on at night, or whole day? I copied the data of a streetlamp, but need it to be on the whole day. And any idea why the texture names are shifted one byte?

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:33 PM

Although this may be incorrect, the first unknown parameter in the lighting list is always 7 for traffic lights, and normally 0 for other objects.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

I am unpinning this to help resolve the clutter in this forum. It is listed here (a topic left pinned), so we shouldn't have trouble finding it again.

<3D

BMWPower
  • BMWPower

SiX-In-Line Rulz!

• Members

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Can i unlock dff with this tool?

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

Yes, though no-one is going to tell you how... thats just edging towards mod theft, which we don't support.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Mar 21 2006, 18:04)
Yes, though no-one is going to tell you how... thats just edging towards mod theft, which we don't support.

I don't think so, because this tool indentificate Zmodeller Lock.

oCain
  • oCain

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

Bla!
I was wonderin about the 'cigar.dff', 'cause there is an ParticleFX included.
So, it's an 2DFX section, too. But much shorter...

int = Fx-Count
3*Float = Coords
int = Number (1)
int = Number (24)
String = Fx-Name

...i've tryed to re-export the cigar.dff with KAMS and include the 'SmokeFX-Section' into it.
But now it's ain't showin' up inGame.
There actually more difference between my dff and the original one, some Flags etc.
But the main thing is the 'Facetype'...
-Original='Triangle Strip'
-Export='TriangleList'
...I don't know, if this does any matter.
Is there anyone out there, who knows more about this thing or maybe did it successfully?

Thanx'n'Peace!

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

well, what isn't showing up ingame, the particle fx, or the cigar model itself? Facetype doesn't matter, its just a different way of storing the geometry data but it still works.

If the model isn't showing up, i'm not sure what would cause that right off hand. If its the particle effect that isn't showing up, its because Kam's export script doesn't export SA 2dfx sections at the moment.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:31 PM

Added it to my post above. Maybe I should write something to scan all files for more of those 2dfx types some day. Or is there a list somewhere else already?

xmen
  • xmen

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

hi buddies some peoples telling that you can add lights by RW Analyze but i dont how to do that. so some one tell about it , im new in RW Analyze cool.gif

oCain
  • oCain

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Jun 17 2006, 13:58)

well, what isn't showing up ingame, the particle fx, or the cigar model itself? Facetype doesn't matter, its just a different way of storing the geometry data but it still works.

If the model isn't showing up, i'm not sure what would cause that right off hand. If its the particle effect that isn't showing up, its because Kam's export script doesn't export SA 2dfx sections at the moment.

Oh...the model isn't showing up and the particle FX, too.
I've export it without any Dummy, Light or something like that and include the 2DFX-Section with the RW-Analyzer/Hex-Editor...maybe I did something wrong, so I will try it again...tomorrow.
Thanx!

dustcrazy
  • dustcrazy

Just simply, the crazy one.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

Ingore me if I'm wrong, but on VC theres a billboard type text above clothes that say what they are.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

Did anyone ever start on a SA 2dfx editor (for lights, signs and such)?

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:33 AM

Apparently not...

Anyway, I've let a tool do some research for me to find the missing 2dfx types. It seems the game only uses 0, 1, 3, 7, 8 and 9.

Type 3, 56 bytes, example: blck_jack.dff
Has to do with black jack cards, contains the object(?) name "PEDCARD".

Type 8, 4 bytes, example: kb_bandit_u.dff
Position & index of slot machine wheels (scripted objects?).

Type 9, 12 bytes, example: carter-column02.dff
No idea. Used quite often and in large ammounts per file (stadium_sfse.dff uses 192 of them!).
Maybe simple lights that use the default corona/shadow textures?

(all examples are files from gta_int.img)

The full list can be found here: 2dfx.txt
Lists ammount and types of 2dfx entries in correct order per file. Only gta3.img and gta_int.img; those in player.img don't use the 2dfx section.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (steve-m @ Aug 11 2006, 20:33)
The full list can be found here: 2dfx.txt
Lists ammount and types of 2dfx entries in correct order per file. Only gta3.img and gta_int.img; those in player.img don't use the 2dfx section.

very handy list, but what type of text formatting did you use? its only readable in firefox, not notepad tounge.gif

I know you asked that same question in Paradox's street sign topic - imo, you should incorporate 2dfx stuff into rwanalyze, as opposed to a standalone program. regardless, there definetily needs to be some way to get this stuff onto objects, short of the current cumbersome methods.

As for lights, i think we have most of it down, with the exception of the light type, and i've got a bit of insight into that, which i'll post once i confirm it.

Chris_topher
  • Chris_topher

CHRITOPHER

• Members

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

WTH???!!?!??!?! I CANT DOWNLOAD IT?? ph34r.gif Please give any alternate link..

Ryder35
  • Ryder35

sheisse

• Members

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:50 PM Edited by ryder 35, 11 October 2006 - 01:52 PM.

so cool that prog i unlock all dff with that biggrin.gif SA to just fine the text line

steve-m.com you can download the program

see ya suicidal.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (Chris_topher @ Oct 11 2006, 12:06)
WTH???!!?!??!?! I CANT DOWNLOAD IT?? ph34r.gif Please give any alternate link..

http://www.steve-m.c...=21&act=details

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users