Photo

[REL|Beta] DFF Import/Export script for Blender

152 replies to this topic
DAALYMAN
  • DAALYMAN

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 October 2004 - 04:36 AM

well after a long time messing around with blender i'm able to get a model in the game without crashing.
but i need to learn the bone weight thing and thats hard as hell to do.
for now i'm trying to retexture a model and no matter what i do there always seems to be a part of the textures that are screwed up.
and when i go back and check the model in blender i can see the faces all over the place. like they are returing back to ther original place.
i read some of the post here and will try some of the suggestion.
i'm down to my witts end on this one.
one i use the original model and change it but my textures are all wrong, so i go with a model that i have changed in zmode but then i have to mess with the bone weight stuff and that messes it all up.
what to do what to do?
i'll keep pluging away at it until i get it right.

cmc_jacob
  • cmc_jacob

qwerty

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:41 AM

Hi.. I cant get a custom player model ingame no matter what I do, it always always always crashes my game before I can even get a glimpse of anything

I load the skeleton, I import the model, I parent the model to the skeleton and make sure everything goes right in the Pose mode, I parent the mesh to the root, i export it with its bone patch file, i replace it with player.dff ingame and boom.
crashes.

i dont think my blender is doing the layers properly. I see everything on layer1, all other layers are blank.

plz help

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:00 AM Edited by Bebop, 07 December 2004 - 10:52 PM.

Im geting the same error that DAALYMAN with the UV faces, Im new at blender but i did everything that the tutorial said and the only two models i made have this problem. And by some reason i get the dummies at the first layer. suicidal.gif

sonix
  • sonix

Stoned Monkey.

• Members

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:25 AM

Hollower, have you any plans for a Blender 2.36 version? Perhaps with UV bug fixes?

Props for the script regardless man, top stuff when it works.

Sonix.

Borislav
  • Borislav

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:00 AM Edited by Borislav, 21 January 2005 - 10:40 AM.

As I've got from the written above, I can solve that problem with Blender and thise plugin, verdad? Well, I'll try 'em out...

Want my buildings to be LIT !

Hollower
  • Hollower

theomachist

• Members

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:44 AM

Sonix:
I do *plan* to get around to updating it. I haven't been keeping up to date with Blender so I need to learn whatever API changes they've made. I've learned more on Python programming, and really this first script is too messy to expand upon so I'm looking at a total rewrite. I have some parts already written but I've been lazy about sitting down to design the structure, studying other scripts to see how they handle the vertex UV issue, etc. It's time consuming.

In short: I do *plan* to do these things, but I can't give a time estimate. Tell me this, does the current version of Blender break compatability? I'm still on 2.34.

Borislav:
Yes, it can export vertex colors as light. It is covered in the tutorial...not in detail but a decent overview I think most people can follow. Unfortunately, there is the limit of 16 materials Pyromaniac mentioned.

Tutorial here... http://hollower.game...t/gta/tutorial/

Borislav
  • Borislav

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:30 AM

Hollower, thanks, I got it. Two days ago began to study Blender. As it was told - it's something strange and useless at the first look, but when reading docs and studying it, it makes me ecstatic about itself... It's very cool prog.

I've tried to import/export a native VC building, and the script didn't mess the vertex color as the ZM made.

As for 16 mats limit it is not so bad - it's nesessary just to make brains working to find how to reduse materials count in the object.

Anyway, thanks man, good work! smile.gif

sonix
  • sonix

Stoned Monkey.

• Members

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (Hollower @ Jan 21 2005, 02:44)
Sonix:
In short: I do *plan* to do these things, but I can't give a time estimate. Tell me this, does the current version of Blender break compatability? I'm still on 2.34.

That's cool news mate, when ever you have the time as I still have the script and versions of Blender it will run in.

I'm now running 2.36 which has been coded to run all the old scripts that you could only run in 2.23, so perhaps the new version will run the script ok. Need to test this over the weekend and post back the results.

Cheers,

Sonix.

gt67
  • gt67

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Hollower @ Jan 21 2005, 02:44)

Hi,

I'm using Blender 2.36 (the latest) under Linux with your script and it works like a charm !!!
Just a thing, I have tried to load TARGA images just by replacing .bmp with .tga into your script since I see you use a Blender function to load the image and it apparently works. What is the problem with tga images ?

Hollower
  • Hollower

theomachist

• Members

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (gt67 @ Jan 28 2005, 03:33)
Just a thing, I have tried to load TARGA images just by replacing .bmp with .tga into your script since I see you use a Blender function to load the image and it apparently works. What is the problem with tga images ?

Basically, I couldn't figure out how to easily support the alpha channel. DFF alpha maps need to have a unique name. All I can get is the filename. TGA alpha channels either don't have a name or Blender offers no way to get it. In the future I can do like Zmod and just add 'a' to the end of the name. But that can 'break' existing game models...you import then export and all the original alpha names get lost.

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Hollower @ Jan 28 2005, 20:13)
Basically, I couldn't figure out how to easily support the alpha channel. DFF alpha maps need to have a unique name. All I can get is the filename. TGA alpha channels either don't have a name or Blender offers no way to get it. In the future I can do like Zmod and just add 'a' to the end of the name. But that can 'break' existing game models...you import then export and all the original alpha names get lost.

I must be missing something, 'cause when it comes to map models the alpha channel name is irrelevent. The alpha name can be mismatched, redundent, or even blank. Further more the DFF is also irrelevent. The only thing that matters that that it's enabled in the TXD.

sonix
  • sonix

Stoned Monkey.

• Members

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (Hollower @ Jan 29 2005, 02:13)
QUOTE (gt67 @ Jan 28 2005, 03:33)

I haven't had a problem with my modified version of the script, which loads .tgas instead of the .bmps. Alpha's show up fine.

Re-2.36 Script runs fine, on import however everything is loaded onto layer 1 instead of the seperate layers you had them on. Damaged parts seperate to undamaged, empties and LOD meshes were on seperate layers but no more.

Export works ok, although I haven't tested an export from 2.36 in game.

Sonix.

tommy87
  • tommy87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

I've experienced some problems with the script, such that it seems to export fine, but then it does not show up in the game, despite replacing files correctly. What I found today was that while exporting works (see Img.1), importing back into blender gives me an error (see Img.2). This happens regardless of which Blender version I use, 2.32, 2.33, or 2.36; it's always the same story.

In the screenshots you can see the hierarchy depicted by 2.36's outliner, which as far as I know is also correct. This problems is not limited to this model, but happened to me with other models as well.

user posted image
Img.1

user posted image
Img.2
  • All meshes are exclusively triangles
  • UV textures assigned correctly or not assigned at all
  • Materials assigned correctly (I've had a problem with this, but whenever they weren't assigned correctly, the script crashed)

Is it just me or is the script broken? Strangely, it seems to work for other people.... dontgetit.gif

Cheers,

Tom

Hollower
  • Hollower

theomachist

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for the details. I'd say the importer is "fragile" in that it expects the file data to come in a specific order, but I didn't run in to too many problems like you did. I'll see if I can reproduce these bugs on my end. Most testing I did during development involved importing stock game models, modifying them, and then re-exporting, re-importing, checking with RwAnalyze, etc. Doing models from scratch was too time-consuming to do extensive testing with anything but buildings so it's possible I missed some problems there. A new version (99% rewritten with better knowledge of Python) is in the works but not ready for release yet. It should be easier to use, with menu integration and no more GUI, some bug-fixes, but still kind of fragile.

caixote
  • caixote

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:00 PM

i needing a good dff filter for zmodeler cuz mine isnt working,i dunno wats happening,som 1 help me... die.gif

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:28 AM

There are very many online tutorials and videos even. Very nice program, to an extent. I'm guessing that this is a gtaIII/VC exporter? not enough to make me download Blender2.37. A map exporter for SA would certainly sway me.

And someone mentioned that blender is "indeed capable"

Blender was premier at one time, and is very powerful. It's not free like other free software. It's free like "price" because of financial problems they've had. Get it while you can. smile.gif

GTA_gangstar
  • GTA_gangstar

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:28 PM

where do i put the script, what folder?

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:12 AM

Hollower, will you do a SA version for this script? Im really looking forward for it.

Hollower
  • Hollower

theomachist

• Members

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:53 PM

I'm very much behind the times. I haven't touched anything GTA-related in months. But the good news is I got bored with other games and finally got myself a copy of SA a few days ago. I'll research the file format changes and after I play through the game I'll see what I can do.

sisqo1dru
  • sisqo1dru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:53 AM Edited by sisqo1dru, 08 October 2005 - 09:13 AM.

Guys how can i register ZModeler?I need a code,but how i get it?Lots of 10x Sisqo

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:13 PM

This is a thread about blender and hollower script is not about zmodeler confused.gif

thepcdude
  • thepcdude

thepcdude

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

die.gif Blender

Nobody sorta gets that blender is horrible. It saves in a wierd .ble format and is just plain stupid. Use REAL software, jeez. Alias Maya PLE. Its for free and is real pro software. There's Alias MotionBuilder PLE which animates the models. And to top it off, it saves in famous .fbx biggrin.gif So, really, don't use blender. angry.gif

Pahricida
  • Pahricida

pimpin' the beats

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:18 AM

nm .... solved

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (thepcdude @ Feb 2 2006, 23:06)
die.gif Blender

Nobody sorta gets that blender is horrible. It saves in a wierd .ble format and is just plain stupid. Use REAL software, jeez. Alias Maya PLE. Its for free and is real pro software. There's Alias MotionBuilder PLE which animates the models. And to top it off, it saves in famous .fbx biggrin.gif So, really, don't use blender. angry.gif

Are you talking about blender?
Maybe you are too dumb to understand Blender, pity for you man.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

I am unpinning this to help resolve the clutter in this forum. It is listed here (a topic left pinned), so we shouldn't have trouble finding it again.

<3D

DMBadCat
  • DMBadCat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:13 AM

It'd be cool if you could update this script for San Andreas-
I can't create anything for SA :\

Not with GMax and KAMS import/export scripts,
Not with Zmodeler 1.07
And not with the old import export script you wrote for blender :\

None of these free editing tools will open or edit the grand theft auto san andreas models correctly! (notice I said correctly, Gmax will open a FEW gta: SA models [I think] but won't export correctly)

blah.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:49 AM

the gmax scripts should be able to import everything from the original Sa game. If its trying to import a model that was created by someone else, yea, its probably going to fail. Zmod 1.07 is proven to be Sa-INcompatible, no suprise there.

but won't export correctly)

..there are other people exporting models that work ingame, using Gmax. make sure your doing everything correctly, and post in Kam's topic if you need help.

Strazdas
  • Strazdas

Woot?

• Members

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

well i instaleld mod and i didnt liekd it, i replaced the moded with with fiels from my backup(its dff files) and now i stil lgot the mod, bushes spawning on road ect
so is there anyway to remove it(i tried renstall gta)

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

goood one! Bumping a f*ckin' year old topic.... anyways, this isn't a mod, it's a modelling script...

Strazdas
  • Strazdas

Woot?

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

erm sorry for bumping, i just foudn redirect on google

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users