• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic
Outback
  • Outback

GTA:LC Team

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:54 PM

Well, at least we know how to put the chopper back in the sky smile.gif

Regular Vice City still has train and train2.dat. What do these files do? And can't the train paths be coded through the SCM?

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:01 PM

well , we also could try doing it the way Majera road course does , we set up some checkpoints along the track and can get the train drive trough them , and its controlled by main.scm . maybe it can be done sigh.gif

artigamer
  • artigamer

ArtiGamer

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:09 PM

I can get the train in LC for you. I only need some one who is good at making cars. Our louzy gta-wo team doesent have eny one who can make cars. (damn why am I on that team suicidal.gif )

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:21 AM

Here's an idea to throw out there in case we end up having to seperate the train model and the ability to ride on it. The train model would move along to track, albiet with no coll. Then have teleport points at each station to every other station, on timers for when the train arives there. When you step on the teleport, you're taken to the chosen station, along with the proper time progression.

I for one found the train ride itself quite boring, anyway.

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:30 AM

the train path should be controlled by main.scm then , because it leans on side in curves if we leave it on the current path.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:41 PM

I'm with you on the boringness, Outback. It would also cut down on the coding.

As for controlling the generic train driving about through code, let's try other ways first. The code would be exceedingly bloated for no good reason. At this stage, I'm trying to save the code as much as possible because there are limitations to size and a LOT of stuff is needing to be simulated as it is.

artigamer
  • artigamer

ArtiGamer

• Members

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE ([4D]Outback @ Mar 2 2004, 02:21)
Here's an idea to throw out there in case we end up having to seperate the train model and the ability to ride on it. The train model would move along to track, albiet with no coll. Then have teleport points at each station to every other station, on timers for when the train arives there. When you step on the teleport, you're taken to the chosen station, along with the proper time progression.

I for one found the train ride itself quite boring, anyway.

My idea was somethin like that 2. But i wanted 2 put the taxi code in the train model.

{cfy}fisch
  • {cfy}fisch

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

You know how if you stand on top of ped cars they carry you along, can you make the train a proper vehicle with paths? I dont know how paths work but could you not put 'invisible' traffic lights where each station is, so it stops for an amount of time to let you get off and then goes on again? Instead of getting in the train like you would with a normal car Fido could just stand in the door thing and get pushed along by it?

Either that, or: on codenamevice there's this New Vice City 2004 mod. With certain missions, after the cutscene Tommy automatically gets into a taxi which drives you to wherever you're required to go. Can you change this to be a train instead of a taxi?

I'm no modder, these are just my thoughts on how this could be done.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 March 2004 - 06:32 AM

just to get you know.. i made a a fully functional path file editor:
http://www.gtaforums...pic=127572&st=0

have fun messing around with it!

... and the heli in gta-vc is solid.

if you can make airtrain solid you can change it to be train..

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Delfi @ Mar 8 2004, 01:32)
just to get you know.. i made a a fully functional path file editor:
http://www.gtaforums...pic=127572&st=0

have fun messing around with it!

... and the heli in gta-vc is solid.

if you can make airtrain solid you can change it to be train..

Until you start getting chased by a train when you hit 3 stars.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:14 PM Edited by MarkPagliaro, 09 March 2004 - 12:24 PM.

The only reason why the polmav follows the tracks is GTA:WO or shall I say Pinecreek-skidz set the flight data for the patrolling helicopter which was explained above. The original Vice City has a handling setting for a train but all other related items where taken out of VC like the track.dat files. We have to avoid using any of the existing flight.dat files as all are needed for other ports.

Airtrain (GTA:III) to Airtrain (GTA:LC)
Dodo (GTA:III) to Dodo (GTA:LC)
Chopper (not used in paths for GTA:III) needed for Chase copter in (GTA:LC)
We should however empty out the flight2.dat file so the chopper doesn't fly around liberty as it didn't do so in III

Using the chopper is not exactly pratically either as I believe there is only 2 choppers where as the train is 4*2 cars per train = 8 paths.

It looks as though we will have to simulate the train aswell.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2004 - 02:56 PM

If simulating the train is necessary, then I think it would be best if we did NOT have one randomly roaming about, but instead make one appear once the player stands in the pink circle to summon it. Not authentic, but possibly the easiest implimentation.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:25 PM

I think the train should be the last thing to simulate. If we have tons of code space left we should go all out if we have limited code space we should dumb it down.

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:31 AM

i just uploaded the cleared flight2.dat , no more heli on train tracks
http://www.hot.ee/ka...ain_Remover.rar

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:51 AM

Just use the original from GTA3

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

Actually GTA3 didn't have a chopper path.
Flight1.dat Airtrain Model Paths (Converted by Kipo/Killer.IP/Myself)
Flight2.dat Chopper Model Paths (Cleared by Karneil)
Flight3.dat Dodo Model (Has yet to be converted)

Forgive me if I am wrong, I may have switched flight2.dat and flight3.dat as this is from memory.

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:00 PM Edited by [4D]Outback, 10 March 2004 - 08:02 PM.

There's nothing to "convert" for Flight3. The one from GTA3 works perfectly fine.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:33 PM

You are right it must have not been included in GTA:WO 's release as the dodo flies through buildings. I fogot all it is just co-ords so I'll just c&p the file.
However we need to take off the banner and possible convert the gta dodo if it is any different (dead dodo). Anywhose this topic is now off topic so all further discussion should be in the paths thread.

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:19 AM

dead dodo isn't any different. just need to update the banner textures, whereever they may be.

killer.ip
  • killer.ip

GTA:LC Moderator

• Members

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

That banner texture's newspaper01_64.bmp in particle.txd, the trade off is that it's also used in generating the newspaper 'litter' kicking around the city... guess that show's R* being as efficient as usual. dozingoff.gif

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

I was going to use the spath.dat file to simulate the train however this file isn't constant it is only called upon by the main.scm. I do not have enough main scm knowledge to call upon it constanly.

(Apprently it is Cortez Yacht)

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:28 PM

Paths being able to be called by the SCM is a good thing, isn't it?

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:37 PM

in the train case it would be but I need for it to be called so I can test (to see if the train goes around the track)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users