52 replies to this topic
Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:32 PM

To
Demarest
Converting the Dodo into LC is going to be a challenge. If it can be done, it will take modding of many different files to support. I think it needs its own thread. 

I would propse the same for the Train that appears in both the subway and the l-tracks. Liberty just wouldn't be Liberty without the subway train. I have an Idea on how to simulate the train however it requires main scm modding. Since we cannot simulate the sliding doors I think the front and back door should be the means of enter/exit.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:38 PM Edited by ModelingMan, 16 February 2004 - 08:36 PM.

QUOTE (MarkPagliaro Posted on Feb 16 2004 @ 19:32)
Since we cannot simulate the sliding doors...
The sliding doors would be hard coded probably, but I don't recall any sliding doors in VC, so that probably wouldn't work as you said.

.:EDIT:.
MarkPagliaro showed me his plan for the train:
user posted image

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:02 AM Edited by MarkPagliaro, 17 February 2004 - 02:29 AM.

I now believe it is possible to simulate the trains with sliding doors via the yacht method. Allthough this might use up alot of valuable coding space. If we made the train out of 3 objects. (Body, Doors Right, Doors Left) and had them set to a path we could have a functional train. Unofficially I would love to have acces to a train with peds inside. So we can kill peds whilst we travel from portland to ssv.

4 trains X 2 cars per train X 3 objects per train = 24 objects set on paths.

Train Handling is still in VC too.

Monitor57
  • Monitor57

LC - II Designer

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:20 AM

there are sldiding doors in vc, remember the rooftop mission for the film studion when you had to jump from roof top to rooftop?

the lift that takes you into the upper floor of the 1st building has sliding doors biggrin.gif

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:28 AM

The doors for the lift are controlled by the main.scm, but hes got a point, dependant on the way that Dem has planned for doing it, if the collision file allows a chunk of the train to be cut out, then i assume its possible, but NOT easy to use the same method. Maybe thats something I could look into.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2004 - 11:20 AM

Just know that there are going to be many things that were hard coded in GTA3 that will need to be manually simulated in VC's engine such as IE Garages, the crusher, and the bullion pickups. This means the code is going to be inflated in comparison to the original script in GTA3. While I believe we're going to remain well within the limits of the SCM's length, I COULD be wrong. It's reason enough to keep it down to as few simulated items as possible and keep them as short as possible.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 11:39 AM

It wouldn't look good, but it would be easy enough to implement.

Why not have a loop where if the player is pressing the 'enter vehicle' button AND is within X units of the train, he is just teleported inside?

Saves trying to screw around with the doors, but again, wouldn't look good.

Geqxon
  • Geqxon

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Feb 17 2004, 12:20)
Just know that there are going to be many things that were hard coded in GTA3 that will need to be manually simulated in VC's engine such as IE Garages, the crusher, and the bullion pickups. This means the code is going to be inflated in comparison to the original script in GTA3. While I believe we're going to remain well within the limits of the SCM's length, I COULD be wrong. It's reason enough to keep it down to as few simulated items as possible and keep them as short as possible.

The IE garages are in vice too! (hint: sunshine auto's).
And the train?

Look what I found in default.ide:
CODE

180,  airtrain,  airtrain,  plane, AIRTRAIN, AEROPL,   null, ignore,  10, 7, 0,  257

The crusher will be a pain in the ass, but what if we make it a garage and move the car trough a path inside, and just forget the magnet?

And what are bullion pickups?

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Geqxon @ Feb 17 2004, 10:58)
QUOTE (Demarest @ Feb 17 2004, 12:20)

And the train?

Look what I found in default.ide:
CODE

180,  airtrain,  airtrain,  plane, AIRTRAIN, AEROPL,   null, ignore,  10, 7, 0,  257

The crusher will be a pain in the ass, but what if we make it a garage and move the car trough a path inside, and just forget the magnet?

Airtrain is the plane and not the subway/L-train just to let you know.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Geqxon @ Feb 17 2004, 09:58)
And the train?

The garages in VC were hard-coded for 6 vehicle IDs each. In GTA3, there were 2 16 car garages and one 7 vehicle crane. Believe me, they're not interchangeable.

The crusher I think I could work out just fine. My only issue would be in manipulating models, but I know Barton could help me with whatever snags I encounter as such things don't intimidate him.

The bullions were the pickups in Bullion Run that would automatcially add a tremendous amount of weight to a car and be removed in the garage for that mission. Again, I already have ideas on how to simulate this thanks to brokenfish's crucial discovery.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:40 PM

Do you think that some of GTA3's hard-coded stuff might be left over in Vice City?

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:47 PM Edited by MarkPagliaro, 17 February 2004 - 05:20 PM.

The trains stuff is taken out of the exe. I know because I compared the two. GTAIII's exe's referes to track.dat and track2.dat as well as the info to enter/exit the train as these are labeled however VC's does not and since you can not just cut and paste we have to simulate these features.

( I am positive c&p'ing data in the exe will cause freezing)

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Feb 17 2004, 10:40)
Do you think that some of GTA3's hard-coded stuff might be left over in Vice City?

Not for a moment. If this project has taught me anything, it's how different the VC engine really is. I can't believe that some people argue that the next GTA will be GTA4 because VC's engine is no different!

Teancum
  • Teancum

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:47 PM

Well, it may suck, but if nothing else, just have the train parked somewhere on the tracks with sparks emitting from it. Whala! A broken train.

It's not that I wouldn't love to have the train, but it such a small thing compared to missions, car paths, gangs and peds.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:00 AM

Sitting there broken was not how it was in GTA3. It doesn't matter how large and small it is. Now that we have our own forum, it gets its own thread. That way it doesn't interfere with the other discussions and vice versa. So size of the issue is now irrelevant as it's something we need to discuss and are discussing it smile.gif

Geqxon
  • Geqxon

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:51 PM

What if we forget the whole in and out system, and just make a car model drive the tracks trough a mission script?

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:05 PM

I'm not sure how much the script is needed for just moving it considering the Polmav moves along it in 2 places as it is. However, if the code is going to allow a person to (de)board, then yes, the code would probably have to control most of it which could quickly make it much larger than we're capable of supporting.

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:17 AM Edited by karlneil, 27 February 2004 - 07:20 AM.

i have an idea how to get the train working easily , we should take the train model from gta3 and then convert it to a car and have it move on train tracks and to give effect of multiple train cars there should be two to three cars driving on a rail and do get fido travel by train you would have to go on a train platform and if the train comes there should be the pink circle inside the train and if fido boards , the screen would fade black and then show a cutscene of train travelling.and if you arrive on the second station the screen would fade again and then it shows fido in the other station.

its just an idea wink.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 February 2004 - 12:19 PM

The indication of Fido travelling would be the easy part (sort of). It's getting the train to behave on its own in Fido's absence that would be hard IMO.

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:02 PM

well the train would move on pre set path when fido s not on the train and maybe it would be possible to but the pink marker in the station and when fido walks in the marker the train would come to the station sarcasm.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:26 PM

I get it. Two different things happening at the same time. That's a great idea. They could even co-exist if we got the normal train to run along the outer track. Good thinking. smile.gif

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:00 PM

ok good to hear im any use biggrin.gif

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:17 PM

Technically the Polmav riding the tracks is classified as a vehicle in the default.ide (known as chopper.dff). I have been looking through the flight paths to see if I can find anything that references that vehicle. I haven't found anything. I have replaced the dff file with the train but then you get train at 3 starts flying after you lol. And the train still flies like a helicopter around the track.

Note the train has to be solid and able to kill fido if fido were on the tracks.

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 February 2004 - 04:06 PM Edited by karlneil, 27 February 2004 - 04:11 PM.

would it be possible to replace the heli with a vehicle that would sit on the extra car slot or replace some car that vice has but gta3 not . i think this should put the train moving normal , not banking in corners like the heli does.

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:55 AM

so? anyone tried getting the train working?
i tried but it still acts as a heli , if someone could get the heli off the track then maybe it would be possible to make a new path , i think it should be done by mission.scm , but please brainstorm here and help us get it working sigh.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:30 AM

Mark, is that to say that as it sits, you cannot edit one without editing the other? That really sucks. I hope we can find what's putting it there because VC's engine wouldn't have support for a railcar because it didn't have one, yet it's there, following the path. One of the transferred files has to be at the helm. Instead of searching for chopper.dff, have you tried searching for 165, it's ID#?

kipo
  • kipo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 01:43 PM Edited by kipo, 01 March 2004 - 01:58 PM.

the path for that chopper is defined in data/paths, it is either flight2.dat or flight3.dat (flight.dat is the one for the airtrain), if you open one of those with an editor (notepad), there are only coords in there and the first number indicates the number of lines in the file. I'll find out now which of those files is the one for the chopper and post it on the edit.

EDIT: it is flight3.dat, so flight2.dat must be for the dodo.

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 03:05 PM

now we know what file controls it , now what to do get the heli moving like a train? dozingoff.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:17 PM

That's why it is the Police Mav: it's supposed to be the one circling the city. That's terrible because it means we probably won't be able to separate the 2 unless we hack the EXE confused.gif

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

yeah then it looks like we cant get it working unless we edit the exe and i dont think rockstar would like that confused.gif , but we could try smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users