• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:48 PM

As I'm probably the most experience handling setter outside of R* I'm willing to offer my knowledge to this mod. smile.gif

Anyone that has had a look at the handling.CFG for GTA3 and Vice can see that they have slightly different formats. Additionally, anyone who has driven cars in both games will have realised that the cars actually respond differently in Vice compared to GTA3. It's hard to explain but Vice seems to have a greater weight shifting effect compared to GTA3. I beleive this is due to the Vice addition to the physics engine which makes driving on two wheels artificially easier.
The flags system is radically different and enables boat handling to be done manually for Vice, whereas in GTA3 the special boat data was hardcoded.
In Vice you will probably have noticed that the suspension movement actually follows an arc which has its pivot at the centre of the car. In GTA3 suspension movement was straight up and down. This creates another big difference in the way vehicles respond, although probably not for the reasons you might think. In GTA3 and Vice, the wheels are only solid at a single, minute point directly below the wheel dummy - the distance from the wheel dummy is set in default.IDE as the wheel size. This means that there is no physics to calculate the effect of the tyre not being flat against the road, so angle between tyre and road doesn't change the actual grip level.
However, when a car leans over suspension which arcs will maintain the distance between the centre of the car relative to the ground and the wheel. If the supension only moves vertically, then this relative distance is reduced and the car becomes more unstable, reaching higher degrees of body roll with the exact same settings.

Because of this, converting handling from one engine to the other is far from straightfoward, so I am offering to do it for this project, everything from the Manana to the Rhino to the Dodo. I will, of course, want to work closely with other members of the project so they can criticise what I'm doing to ensure I do it well! tounge.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:59 PM

Another blessing from GTA veteran Cerbera.. As stated in paths, I very much so welcome your assistance. Currently, CraigKostelecky, Knux, and crazydude have been the cars leaders, though I'm not sure how much time they've spent on handling. My only stipulation--and I know we are in disagreement on this point--is that we are aiming for GTA3 authenticity. Based on the level of your understanding on the subject, I believe this to be well within your capabilities even if it is contrary to your views on how these vehicles should handle based on their real life counterparts. Forgive any erroneous presumptions I have made wink.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:27 PM

Oh, I do intend on transferring them to behave as they did in GTA3, I made sure to read the pinned topics before I started postin. wink.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Feb 13 2004, 11:27)
Oh, I do intend on transferring them to behave as they did in GTA3, I made sure to read the pinned topics before I started postin. wink.gif

I would expect no less from you smile.gif If only all visitors were as respectful and responsible inlove.gif And since I know you're good for it, I'm going to go ahead and list you as an official contributor in the team thread.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:17 AM Edited by CraigKostelecky, 15 February 2004 - 08:47 AM.

My conversion of the handling.cfg file was pretty straightforward. There's one extra value in each car in Vice City (right before the hex codes for no roof, big wheels, etc) and I set each one of these to zero.

The files that I updated are here. If you feel there's anything that should be changed, then by all means go ahead. I'm sure that you know a lot more about this than I do. But if you start with my files, then at least you're not starting from scratch.

Much like Kipo's opinions in the path thread, I'll gladly put aside a little chance for "fame" for better results of the mod. I only did this because nobody else was (at the time) and I felt I could do it fairly (not perfectly) accurately. And I'll be available for any questions you may have about the work I've done so far.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:34 PM

I thank you for your respect and your work. Please continue to do so. I find your input to be consistently helpful smile.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (CraigKostelecky @ Feb 15 2004, 08:17)
My conversion of the handling.cfg file was pretty straightforward. There's one extra value in each car in Vice City (right before the hex codes for no roof, big wheels, etc) and I set each one of these to zero.

The files that I updated are here. If you feel there's anything that should be changed, then by all means go ahead. I'm sure that you know a lot more about this than I do. But if you start with my files, then at least you're not starting from scratch.

Much like Kipo's opinions in the path thread, I'll gladly put aside a little chance for "fame" for better results of the mod. I only did this because nobody else was (at the time) and I felt I could do it fairly (not perfectly) accurately. And I'll be available for any questions you may have about the work I've done so far.

Oh killer, theres the other major data files as well. smile.gif

I've managed to get up early today and am starting to install LC right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users