Photo

INSTALLER

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic
Outback
  • Outback

GTA:LC Team

• Members

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:31 PM Edited by [4D]Outback, 07 February 2004 - 09:38 PM.

killer.ip and I had a little impromptu brainstorm session a little earlier, and we decided that this topic needed it's own thread, so here it is. I haven't have much sleep lately, so please forgive me if I miss something.

The basic goal here is to give the user options whereever available.

The following is a list of pretty much what the process may look like when finalized. As usual, feel free to throw your ideas into the mix, guys.
  • Check for fresh VC install. Give option to either modify existing install or create a new one.
  • Copy needed/Delete unneeded files and folders
  • Extract GTA:LC core files
  • Chose the Main Menu background
  • Create Programs Menu entries and Desktop Icon (Optional, ofcourse. Would make this whole thing look that much more professional, IMO. Might be a legal issue, though, come to think of it)

Seeing as the basis of this mod assumes that users posess a copy of both GTA3 and VC, the download size could be further reduced by copying any carryover files from a person's GTA3 install or Play CD (This would be most beneficial where audio files are concerned). Doing this should also help asuage Rockstar's concerns about people who don't already have a copy of GTA3 enjoying Liberty City for free, and may get them to be more lenient towards us including a modified EXE or setting the installer target to the "Rockstar Games" folder.

JamesSHF
  • JamesSHF

:wub: GTA:LC

• Members

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:52 PM

I think that copying some of the files from a user's GTAIII CD would help ensure they had a copy of GTAIII, and would reduce download size too.
Maybe it doesn't necessarily have to go in the Rockstar Games folder as this project isn't a Rockstar project; aslong as proper credit is given to Rockstar throughout then maybe there's no need to put it in a Rockstar Games folder?

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2004 - 02:22 AM

Vice City doesn't has to be in Rockstar's folder. That is where most of the people install Vice City.

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 08 February 2004 - 03:34 AM

I have all my install in the "Rockstar Games" folder too. Keeps it nice and organized. I was just saying that there may be a legal issue cuz of trademarks and whatnot. I doubt this would be much of a problem, but I mentioned it just incase.

And the sound files most likely will need to be copied off the GTA3 CD, since the they would amount to about 100 megs, not including the radio stations and sfx.raw.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:10 AM

First of all, I don't really think it's for us to police HOW our work is used. It is up to the individual to own both games ahead of time. We should focus our energies more on distributing our work. I think what you're suggesting Outback would be a nice idea for the sake of ease of installation. But telling somebody to make a backup copy of their unmodded VC, delete a few folders, and put our files is place is plenty easy for the time being. Better than having to hunt down a couple dozen updates.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:34 PM

Hmmm, so we did end up with an installer thread, this might be my part then biggrin.gif

I can program an installer, that can do most of the things needed i think, does anyone know if the ADF conveter has command lines? that way it could do all the radio for you.

Have we decided how the models are going to be distributed? Is it going to be the IMG files or a bunch of DFFs.

admiraldisc
  • admiraldisc

unregistered

• Members

Posted 08 February 2004 - 07:16 PM Edited by admiraldisc, 08 February 2004 - 07:20 PM.

i might have a solution on whether they owned GTAIII...

the installer could ask for the location of the origanal gta3.exe and then check the filesize, if it's not a no-cd crack it would then run the program and make sure it actually ran, not just said" please insert cd."

That would elimate most of the "spoofing," but i can still think of ways to trick it, most people don't go to that effort if they downloaded the game from some p2p network though.

edit:also check to make sure none of the popular cd emulation programs are running.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 February 2004 - 07:24 PM

As previously stated, it is not our job to police how somebody uses our work. You can already see the concern and lengths it would entail. Not necessary. Being that this is a public project, all of our files are already available for somebody to do with as they please.

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:09 PM

The main advantage to ask for the GTA3 Play CD is to cut down on filesize. The audio files will easily add on over 100 megs to the download size.

Of course, it doesn't have to work with just the CD, just that you will need another way to obtain these files, whether from the CD or another folder.

@Smithers: The primary releases will include a precompiled GTA3.img. there are too many kinks in the process to have it compiled on the user's end.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:00 AM

I agree with everything you just said. I would do one thing slightly different though. I would make it a prompt to ask where GTA3's audio files are and put up that if the user isn't sure, to browse to that folder on the CD. Reason being that I myself use a no-CD and don't want to have to dig it out just for that when I don't need to.

Outback
  • Outback

• Members

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:23 AM Edited by [4D]Outback, 09 February 2004 - 03:24 AM.

That's what I was thinking too, Dem.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 09 February 2004 - 06:38 PM

Ok, i noticed that two members have both stopped working now, (one paused) because its hard to keep upto date, so i feel that a release is more urgent than ever.

And for that reason, i today begun work on making an installer program to do some of the work for you.

Let me know if you have any objections.

kipo
  • kipo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:15 PM

if a release is to be made soon, we should include complete paths for cars and peds, graphical bugs are important, but nothing would make people happier than having traffic in the city, nothing much is left to be done, but Im stalled with that one till a farther discussion is made in the paths thread.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Smithers2 @ Feb 9 2004, 13:38)
Ok, i noticed that two members have both stopped working now, (one paused) because its hard to keep upto date, so i feel that a release is more urgent than ever.

And for that reason, i today begun work on making an installer program to do some of the work for you.

Let me know if you have any objections.

Careful. First of all, this is a community project. People are free to walk when they want for whatever reason they'd like. The forums JUST came to be. ANYBODY formulating opinions about what this place is going to be like based on its grand opening will soon see the folly of their ways. I tried my best to explaint that things were going to be trying, confusing, and difficult at first until we get settled in. Not everybody reads everything I'm finding out. Fair enough. But it's not like killer.ip or Knux quit, so we'll manage I'm sure.

Furthermore, I wouldn't call anything about this project "urgent." Time gives us the opportunity to do things right. We should embrace it as one of our more useful allies (curses, time!). I think ***TGR***'s sig says it best: ""One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important."
- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)"

To answer your question, I don't object to your installer. I don't think it's necessary at this point, but I as a coder know that sometimes it's just a joy practicing smile.gif

@kipo: I disagree. Parallel to Smithers2's urgency comment, I think a compiled release is what we need. We're going to be continuously updating this. If we wait for this, then we're going to wait for that, etc. Just get it released and build off of that. WO won't give us the files anymore and people are complaining it's hectic. So it is my opinion that we should release what we have so at least anybody with VC can finally at least run around in Liberty.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 09 February 2004 - 08:07 PM

Sure, people can say what they think, and i agree with everything you have said. Im gona start working on an installer anyway, because that way it will be ready for when its needed. Killer-ip is well on his way to a release, and has been very supportive.

Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users