GRAPHICS

185 replies to this topic
ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 26 2006, 08:49)
EDIT - By the way James, you spelt "actually" wrong tounge.gif !

Yeah, I thought something like that would happen. It's not exactly noticeable when I declared the text like this (at 2am): tounge2.gif
CODE
u16 text[35] = {'T', 'h', 'i', 's', ' ', 's', 'c', 'r', 'o', 'l', 'l', 'i', 'n', 'g', ' ', 't', 'e', 'x', 't', ' ', 'a', 'c', 't', 'u', 'l', 'l', 'y', ' ', 'w', 'o', 'r', 'k', 's', '.', 0};

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 26 2006, 08:49)
If I'm reading this right, does that mean that we might be able to have the scrolling text displayed on the billboards around the place? I'm not sure of exact locations, although I do know there's one on the sign at Easy Credit Autos in GTA3. What do you think smile.gif ?

Well the pager text is only 2D, but things like that are drawn on a 3D vector, I'll have a look into it.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

The scrolling text seen in game should be convertable from VC. After all, they used that procedure in the Stadium in Vice. We would just have to update the text and the location for it to work. And we might have to duplicate a few things. But it should be doable.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

More progress. Clicky!

I was actually surprised when the pager sprite was drawn, I was expecting the game to crash. Now all that's left is to get the pager font in and test out the text_pager scm command to see if that works (currently I'm using a keypress to test it).

I was thinking of replacing VC's CHud::Draw function with one that draws all the HUD text, sprites, etc. just like they are in GTAIII. Isn't that hard, in fact I started doing it back in February when I was working on the menu.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:32 AM

@Craig - cheers, sounds promising icon14.gif .

@James - looking super good icon14.gif . Just the minor issue of the text starting outside the pager to fix in that clip. Have you got the pager sprite and the font in the hud.txd and fonts.txd respectively? Or are you calling them from another location?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the final version of this smile.gif .

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 27 2006, 07:32)
@James - looking super good icon14.gif .  Just the minor issue of the text starting outside the pager to fix in that clip.  Have you got the pager sprite and the font in the hud.txd and fonts.txd respectively?  Or are you calling them from another location?

The font overlaps the pager sprite because the proper font isn't being used. I used the same algorithm GTAIII uses to set the X and Y scale and positions of the text, therefore once I get the font ported it should look fine.

As for adding the pager sprite and font textures to the proper TXDs, well this causes none of the textures in those TXDs to load (same happened when I put the menu background textures in either of the frontend TXDs). I have no idea why it does this. For now I'm just using my own TXDs in a folder called Custom (I can change this to whatever you please).

Craig:
Will you be so kind and compile a SCM that uses text_pager command? Just a basic script that creates a player at any position, and have the text_pager command happen when the player goes into a marker or something simple like that.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

Ah rightio. I guess that'd be up to Craig (the folder/file names), but I don't suppose it really matters too much smile.gif . Keep up the good work icon14.gif .

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

Looking good so far. Have you got the code to look into the gxt yet, or is it just reading the arrays you hard code? And have you done anything with the sound yet? The pager sound is here if you need it. You can either have it in the audioLC folder and call it with the play_wav procedure (it's scm name is pagring) or you can stick it in the SFX archive somewhere. If you take the SFX approach, let me know first as I'd need to talk to you about possible conflicts with other sounds.

I'll get you the code when I get home. I'm at work right now (but am just waiting for the phone to ring.)

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Jun 27 2006, 23:28)
Have you got the code to look into the gxt yet, or is it just reading the arrays you hard code?

The pager is now fully compatible with the SCM, the code reads the GXT entries fine using VC's internal functions. Now all I need is to get the pager font implemented.

As for audio, I still haven't looked into it, but after I get the pager font in that will be my next task.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:26 AM

Just out of curiosity - is anyone interested in updating the outro screen? The work should be simple for anyone who's ever done texture work of any kind - it's going to be more fiddly than difficult (collecting everyone's avatars, etc.). The team list is up-to-date, and doesn't change too often (I'm the only one who updates it because I need to update the HTML Readme with any changes). So if you're interested, just let us know and then start work icon14.gif . It doesn't have to all fit on one screen either - preferably it would fit on two screens, but if that isn't possible at ALL, then I spose it'll have to be three. The EXE hack to get more than one outro screen is difficult for those with the know-how either - don't let that deter you from doing the work wink.gif .

@James - about the stats stuff I sent you earlier. Are you going to fix all that up once you're done with the pager and menu? If you could, that'd be great icon14.gif .

Cheers smile.gif .

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

Rightio - seeing as no-one's interested in the outro screen, I'll do it myself tounge.gif . I've made a start - I've got a new background sorted, so now it's just a case of grabbing everyone's avatars. Depending on how I go for time, I should have it done by early next week icon14.gif .

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 6 2006, 01:29)
Rightio - seeing as no-one's interested in the outro screen, I'll do it myself tounge.gif .

I'd do it if I were more artistic. confused.gif

I've thought of an idea on how to get the pager font in the normal way (instead of texture per character) and that's by temporarily replacing font style 1 sprite with pager font sprite. I've been getting frustrated over this, yet this idea is so simple. Although I haven't tested it yet, so I'm unsure if it will work. You'll find out tomorrow...

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:23 AM

Excellent icon14.gif !

I don't consider myself artistic either, although the outro doesn't exactly ask for a great deal of creativity wink.gif . I've selected a background, although I'm waiting for permission to use it (from the person who took the screenie). Then it's just a case of applying everyone's avatars. Simple, really smile.gif . A LOT more simpler than what you're doing with the pager. Just fiddly.

tounge.gif

random_download
  • random_download

:o

• Members

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jul 6 2006, 01:56)
I've thought of an idea on how to get the pager font in the normal way (instead of texture per character) and that's by temporarily replacing font style 1 sprite with pager font sprite. I've been getting frustrated over this, yet this idea is so simple. Although I haven't tested it yet, so I'm unsure if it will work. You'll find out tomorrow...

Wouldn't that change the HUD whenever the pager popped up? Unless you only changed it locally to the pager function somehow. The textures are loaded in at 0x552341 I think, so changing the second call to point to this code in the asi file might work:
CODE
call    sub_5789B0
mov     ecx, offset dword_A108BC  ; The space is still here in VC, must have just been left over.
push    offset aPager ; "pagerm"  Space for these were not left over, so somewhere in the asi file
push    offset aPager  ; "pager"
call    sub_5789B0
retn 8

Then the pager functions might work as normal once you change relative addresses?

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (random_download @ Jul 6 2006, 10:46)
Wouldn't that change the HUD whenever the pager popped up?

The pager is first priority when the HUD is drawn. When the pager text is to be drawn I shall change the sprite pointer of font style 1 to the loaded pager font sprite, call CFont::PrintString and then, from what I can see, the game copies the characters from the sprite into a buffer, after this is done replenish the font sprite pointer. If my thoughts on this are correct then it wouldn't change the HUD at all.

I still haven't tested this yet. I need to redo some of my code, bits of it is unstable and causing unexpected crashes.

EDIT:
QUOTE (random_download @ Jul 6 2006, 10:46)
CODE
Code from above post

Then the pager functions might work as normal once you change relative addresses?

Simply loading the font sprite pointer into 0x00A108BC won't work. Doing this you would have to set the font style to 3, which means the game will read invalid character widths resulting in blocks of black being drawn. If it were as simple as loading the pointer into that memory location then I would have already finished the pager.

Pager functions left in by R* are Init, Process, Display and Destroy (thank god they left them in). Functions recreated by myself are CPager::AddMessage, CHud::SetPagerMessage and opcode 0x014D handler. I also had to add in the drawing code to the CHud::Draw function. You'll see all this once the source code is released.

My plan worked. In the first tests it didn't but that was because I didn't call the function that buffers the characters from the font sprites. Here's a movie of it fully working.

random_download
  • random_download

:o

• Members

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jul 6 2006, 16:22)
Simply loading the font sprite pointer into 0x00A108BC won't work. Doing this you would have to set the font style to 3, which means the game will read invalid character widths resulting in blocks of black being drawn. If it were as simple as loading the pointer into that memory location then I would have already finished the pager.

Pager functions left in by R* are Init, Process, Display and Destroy (thank god they left them in). Functions recreated by myself are CPager::AddMessage, CHud::SetPagerMessage and opcode 0x014D handler. I also had to add in the drawing code to the CHud::Draw function. You'll see all this once the source code is released.

My plan worked. In the first tests it didn't but that was because I didn't call the function that buffers the characters from the font sprites. Here's a movie of it fully working.

Ahhh, I see. I guess that is to do with the pager txd having a different res. Great work on getting it fully working rah.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (random_download @ Jul 6 2006, 19:39)
Ahhh, I see. I guess that is to do with the pager txd having a different res.

Correct. I had to scale the pager font to fit the same resolution as the font 1 sprite. Originally the pager font was 16x16 for each character, now it's 32x40. At least it's working, now all there's left of the pager is to get the sound to play...

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

WOO HOO!

That looks @#&%ing awesome MM! Glad to see it works now. I'm at work now, but should be home in about 1.5-2 hours. The sound should be relatively easy to do. If you want to put the sounds in the SFX archive, there are a few entries that we've lined up. You can see what me and Ben learned so far in this spreadsheet. The entries in purple are the ones that we know match.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

Excellent work James icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif inlove.gif inlove.gif inlove.gif ! I can't wait to see it in-game.

With regards to the spreadsheet Craig linked you to - it'll probably be more up-to-date then the one I sent you last week (the Audio.xls one I mean). Although the LC SFX one will probably be useful to you too.

As for the outro - thanks to Konstantinos for letting me use his night-time panorama for the background - see it here .

Now I've just got to collect everyone's avatars - if you want your current avatar changed for the outro, PM me IMMEDIATELY! For those of you without avatars, I'll just be using this custom LC one I made smile.gif .

I'll keep you posted on my progress - after this is done, only an EXE hack will be required and the outro will be completely up-to-date icon14.gif .

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

user posted image

Update function for the scroll bar class will need to be rewrote to support more than one set of scroll bar messages.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

All the proper text, colours, scale, etc. Still needs some tweaks. There must be variables set up so that strings like "CHAOS AS CALLAHAN BRIDGE IS UNDER REPAIR. . ." and "STAUNTON LIFT BRIDGE IS OPERATIONAL AGAIN" can be shown at the appropriate times...

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:21 PM

Those might be tied to the portland_complete and the stauton_complete scm opcodes.

space_einstein
  • space_einstein

Snitch

• Feroci Racing

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:55 AM Edited by Ben, 14 January 2007 - 02:14 AM.

Tec 9 and Brass Knuckles Weapon Icons

EDIT by Ben - Thanks mate, I'll put these in the next update package wink.gif .

killer1869
  • killer1869

The Lazy Aussie

• Members

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hey. Don't know if this is any use to you, but the logo for GTA:LC is pretty boring. Here's one I made earlier, maybe this can be integrated into the loading screens somehow

user posted image

It's based on the LCS logo

johnny404
  • johnny404

(ノゝ∀・)~キラ☆

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (killer1869 @ Apr 30 2007, 09:53)
Hey. Don't know if this is any use to you, but the logo for GTA:LC is pretty boring. Here's one I made earlier, maybe this can be integrated into the loading screens somehow

user posted image

It's based on the LCS logo

this is better like Vice City Stories and VC
its pretty cool tounge.gif i love it

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

Just a little note for people here - REspawn contacted me earlier with some new discoveries he'd made in VC. Dunno if these are relevant or not to LC, but any feedback/thoughts are welcome. Check it out here .

smile.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

Observe:
user posted image

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

So which is which? Good job MM!

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:35 PM Edited by SteaVor, 01 June 2007 - 05:37 PM.

I'm expecting the bottom one to be LC - the sky is too blue and clear for III, I think. The HUD looks like a completely accurate replica though, I can't see any difference.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 2 2007, 02:02)
Observe:
user posted image

Very sexy. The only difference I can see is that the left side of the box surrounding the fist is a little thicker in the bottom picture. But I can't tell which one's from GTA3 and which is from LC - I'm inclined to believe SteaVor wink.gif .

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

Work in progress:
user posted image

Re-writing menu to match III exactly. There can be alterations if desired...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users