Photo

AUDIO

296 replies to this topic
'Sweet' Johnson
  • 'Sweet' Johnson

I am the real deal, fool!

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Where can I get the latest version of the gta3 sounds from?

jheath
  • jheath

Nameless Redshirt

• Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

Where can I get the latest version of the gta3 sounds from?

Depends on what you mean by gta3 sounds. If you mean the sound effects (cars, guns, pedestrians, etc.) check out spaceeinstein's posts in this thread. I believe version six is the newest one.

GTA: LC Audio v6

If you mean the radio stations, I think the forum rules are that you need to buy the game for yourself. (It's only about $20 anyway.) They are large files in the Audio folder.

[DMA]Blunted
  • [DMA]Blunted

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

v7 is the newest tounge.gif

Synergy
  • Synergy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hey, Look, I know I am studpid, but I am really stuck. I would like to be able to play the radio sound from GTA3, but I don't have any .wav or .mp3 files in the audio folder. When I try getting them off the disk there isn't even an audio file at all. I am sure I am doing something really stupid. Pleeease put me out of my misery. blink.gif

Synergy
  • Synergy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:55 AM

Sorry, I new I was stupid!!!!
To answer my own question: Try putting the play cd in instead of the install one.
I hope I have provided a laugh.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

More people make mistakes like that than you may think. Instead of providing a laugh, you may have helped someone else solve the same problem.

GL652
  • GL652

GTA:LC

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:11 PM

i'm have been having a little trouble installing the GTA3 radio stations. I have installed the game to C:programefiles/GTA:LC/ using beta2V3 and have tried many methods of geting them to work. The first method was that i converted the GTA3 radio files to .adf's and changed the name to there vice counterparts and placed them in the audio folder where the vice stations were but it then decided to get the stations from the disk. I then used the method of the first post in this thread and just kept the files as the were into the audioLC folder adding the lines to the ini but to no avail. The only method which is a bit extreme that actually works was i made a copy of the vice play disk with the .adf's i metion earlier but i can't start up the game with this disk so i have to put my original vice disk in then take it out and put the modified disk in then i get the GTA3 radio. There has to be a better way than that as it is a bit of a palaver everytime i boot up the game and i don't think it was the way it was meant to be done. Any help would be greaty appreciated.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:02 AM

Weird, converting the radio should work without a problem if you follow the directions in this post. Tell us (in detail) exactly what you're doing as that should work (even with the regular VC CD in the drive)

GL652
  • GL652

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:44 PM

Right here is what i am doing in relation to the first post in this thread. I take the radio stations off of the GTA3 disk to the audioLC folder along with the other audio files i needed when i first installed. So i opened the ini file and i inserted the the line's,
CODE

0=AUDIOLC\head.wav
1=AUDIOLC\class.wav
2=AUDIOLC\kjah.wav
3=AUDIOLC\rise.wav
4=AUDIOLC\lips.wav
5=AUDIOLC\game.wav
6=AUDIOLC\msx.wav
7=AUDIOLC\flash.wav
8=AUDIOLC\chat.wav

then when i start up LC it asks for the Vice City disk on startup which is in the drive already. But when i take the line's out again i starts up fine but with the VC radio. Whenever i use show config to verify the paths of the files it always claims they can't be found and when i went back to the method of just changing the GTA3 stations and renaming them, when i try to verify the paths it still claims they are not there. Any ideas?

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

Did you use full installation when installing Vice City?

GL652
  • GL652

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ May 17 2005, 20:46)
Did you use full installation when installing Vice City?

Yes i did use the full installation when i installed City, would that have any bearing on my predicament.

TheJkWhoSaysNi
  • TheJkWhoSaysNi

Goes into lifts and presses all the floors

• Members

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

How can i get the LC police radio to work?

I copied all the files across (including police.wav) into audioLC but i notice the VC police radio is an mp3 file. How can i tell LC to use the GTA3 police.wav file? Thanks.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:30 AM

Directions for converting the radio stations are in the first (or second) post of this thread. After reading that, you may even be able to figure out how to change the police radio (if not, post again and I'll walk you through it).

CTM
  • CTM

A ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it?

• Members

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:03 PM

Just as a quick sidenote, the first version of the installer will install all radio stations, the police station and other basic sound effects for you, so you won't need to mess around with the manual method any more to get it working. smile.gif Detailed sound effects (from the SFX.RAW archive) will be added at a later date - I've figured out how to install them (I love you, space biggrin.gif ) but the method I'm using doesn't work on all computers, so it's a bit hit-and-miss. I'd rather wait and perfect it than release it and end up breaking a lot of installations.

CTM
  • CTM

A ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it?

• Members

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:59 PM Edited by CTM, 31 May 2005 - 12:03 PM.

Okay, this is driving me absolutely insane - open a clean copy of Vice City, load a save game and listen carefully. Wait for the sound that occurs immediately before the screen fades into view, right after the bar fills and the game is loaded. Where is that audio file located? I've checked the audio directory and a large section of the SFX archive but nothing has turned up yet. It's seriously driving me mad, because I need to replace it and it's the only sound left to be replaced.

edit: the sound also occurs when a message appears in the grey box in the top-left corner of the screen.

Thanks suicidal.gif

edit2: never mind, got it. It occurs several times in the sfx00356 - sfx00369 block, in case anyone else needs it. The reason I asked is because that sound wasn't changed in Audio v7 and it could probably be fit into the v8 release in time for Beta 5 if I can find the GTA3 sound that it should be replaced with.

edit3: I found the last piece of the puzzle in the GTA3 SFX archive. The following changes need to be made to fix the menu sounds:

GTA3 sfx00344 -> GTALC sfx00356
GTA3 sfx00344 -> GTALC sfx00357

Technically GTA3 doesn't have the "successful loading" beep like VC does, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and work out which of those two plays after the game is loaded. tounge.gif

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:09 PM

... catloaf_by_anuj.gif Bump breadfish_by_Moto.gif

Generic Audio Update
This adds the basic audio into the game, like the music in Tony's restaurant and Salvatore's house. The only problem with these audio is that the range the audio can be heard is too large.

There is a glitch with the background noises in LC. When you are in St Marks (or any high places), the entire area is quiet with no background noises. In GTA3, it still loads the background noise (city.mp3?).

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:36 AM

Thanks space icon14.gif .

The problem with the background could have something to do with the scm (and the location at which sounds are played, which impacts on their volume). I'm not too knowledgeable about that though, so I imagine Craig or Alex could tell you for sure wink.gif . And maybe even look into fixing it.

Keep up the good work cookie.gif .

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:23 AM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 25 February 2006 - 04:01 AM.

space, do you think the bridge audio should be handled in the same way (have the sound playing while the bridge is in motion or up and not playing when it's down)? Also, I thought there was supposed to be some noises coming out of Misty's place while Joey's "visiting" her. I didn't see that in your readme.

And finally, does anybody think it's possible to improve the sound of the ambulance sirens? And can we convert the dodo's sound at all?

EDIT: Maybe it will be possible to fix the range issue by making the z axis lower for each sound. Then you'd always be farther away from the sound and it wouldn't be so loud. And even with the bug of not hearing the other audio, this is a great improvement. Well done space.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

... Some sounds created in GTA3 uses more than one SFX audio. All sounds created in Vice City used only one SFX audio. So I need someone that can edit sound files.

The only problem with lowering the Z axis is in Salvatore's place because lowering it would make the beach loud.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:16 AM

I could possibly edit the audio files for you. But I'd need to which ones, and some sort of tool to extract the sounds from the sfx archive (with a link preferably wink.gif !). I'm assuming you only want multiple sounds combined into one - that's pretty easy, I've got Nero Wave Editor and I can do that, no problems. Let me know.

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Feb 25 2006, 21:16)
But I'd need to which ones, and some sort of tool to extract the sounds from the sfx archive (with a link preferably wink.gif !).

I expect Nullpointer's tool is the thing to use for that.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:22 AM

Thanks pdescobar icon14.gif smile.gif .

@space - Ok, that's sorted. Now I just need to know which ones to combine, or whatever you want done with them wink.gif .

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Feb 25 2006, 16:46)
... The only problem with lowering the Z axis is in Salvatore's place because lowering it would make the beach loud. ...

Perhaps we should just decrease the volume of wave files then.

And Ben, the tool to extract the files from the SFX archive was included in space's download tounge.gif

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:47 PM

... Thanks for your offer Ben. I'll gather up the files when I find the time. I got another problem with this "create_sound" opcode. It seems like the range the sound can be heard is in a cylinder and not a sphere. When I lowered the Z axis, the range of the sound barely changed. ...

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:34 AM

@Craig - I can change the volume with Wave Editor as well. I'm not too sure about bit rates and that sort of stuff - I think the readme from Nullpointers said 16bit and 1 channel, but I can change the frequency as well (which all directly impacts on the bit rate, AFAIK).

And yeah, I didn't get space's update until after I got Nullpointers, so I did eventually learn that wink.gif .

@space - how did you come up with the number to play the sound anyway - create_sound xx at <insert location here>?

If you have some sort of method, converting the audio for the bridge shouldn't be too hard, but that wasn't mentioned in your readme (although Craig mentioned it a few posts back).

And I've extracted my GTA3 sfx archive so whenever you get me a list of files and instructions, I can get to work. Depending on what needs to be done though, it might take me a few weeks (damn school work!) tounge.gif .

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:30 PM

Bit-rate is the number of bits used to store each voltage level, a bit rate of 16 would mean there would be 65536 descrete levels each sample could have, the nearest one to their actual voltage being the one they would use.

The sample rate is how often a sample is taken and needs to be significantly higher than the highest frequency in the audio to produce an approximatly accurate wave form.

Neither have anything to do with the frequency of the sound (except for defining the sample rate, but they are often pre-defined anyway).

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for the lesson Alex tounge.gif ! I really didn't know all that, but I had some basic idea.

What I meant though is that for some reason, Wave Editor changes the bit rate of the audio file depending on the sample size and frequency (eg - 2 files, both with 16 bit sample size, 1 with 22500Hz and the other with 44100Hz - the bit rates will be different).

I'll try and keep these characteristics as close to the original files as possible wink.gif .

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

@space - I'm hoping you see this here because I can't PM you (as your PM inbox is full) tounge.gif . If you can get a list of instructions regarding what needs doing with the sfx audio put together by Easter, I'll be able to do it all then - I'll be off school for 2 weeks smile.gif . But at the moment I'm too busy with school to dedicate any real time to it, even if you got the list done sooner - and that will probably be the same after the holidays until July, when I get 2 weeks off again. Just so you know tounge2.gif !

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:33 AM Edited by spaceeinstein, 12 March 2006 - 12:36 AM.

... Some updates

I want sfx410 and sfx 411 combined. The audio is from Wong's Laundrette. Listen to that place and you'll get the beat. It is created by sound 41 in GTA3.

Edit: Hmm... I should refresh more often. Alright.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:45 AM Edited by benisablink182fan, 12 March 2006 - 01:37 AM.

There ya go!

I can do odd ones like that coz it's really just a simple cut-paste job wink.gif . But a full list will take longer. Enjoy tounge.gif !

EDIT - Hmmm, that might not be quite right. I did the one's from the LC sfx, but that sounds like engine noises.

I'll do the GTA3 one in a sec - wait while I load it up and try to figure the beat icon14.gif .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users