Photo

MISSION CODING

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:20 PM Edited by Demarest, 26 February 2004 - 02:49 PM.

authorlinkrelease datefile size
Demarestdirect link to a ZIPFeb 26 200422.9 KB
Because the SCM is huge and is my specialty, this thread will probably not see much action at all in terms of contributions from others. It will be where to go to get the most recent SCM. Or you can post in here to remind me of what needs to be done, tweaks that can be made, etc. Try not to be redundant with the suggestions and such.

[EDIT] Starting with v4, source code is included. Anybody is free to do what they want with it; it is included for no particular reason except to mirror it.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:39 AM

So dem are you going to convert the gta3 scm file to VC by yourself?

I could help out with the basics like inserting parked cars and pickups (that's all I can do with the scm file)

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:47 AM

Sorry, that's all already done. If you want (or are able to) you could figure out how to get garages, save slots, pay and sprays, and the car crusher working. The rest (meaning missions) will most likely wait until everything else is done.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2004 - 06:49 AM

Well, I would like to think that I am the best coder on board (or at least the most acclaimed). I already have the source here as well as a few tools and configurations that will make SOME conversions quite easy. So if it's just the same to everybody, I'll be doing the coding myself. The file is so large and the heart of the game, too many cooks in the kitchen could really spoil that one. As it is, I'm also concerned about other such files such as american.gxt.

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

ex-GTA:LC co-leader (sounds lame now)

• Members

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

Don't forget when the car list will be final and official, to make the good cars parked at the good places (and add a few like bikes and helis around)

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:48 PM

Im always willing to help makin some of the threads for stuff, but i agree, you cant have too many people working on the scm file.

Anyways, if you want me, let me know.

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

• Members

Posted 11 February 2004 - 03:57 PM Edited by Knux, 11 February 2004 - 04:03 PM.

ok, here's the remplacement car for each cars in the game(craig's list):

VC car GTA3 car
Admiral ---> Kuruma
Ambulance ---> Ambulance
Barracks OL ---> Barracks OL
Benson ---> Mr. Wongs
BF injection ---> BF Injection
Blista Compact ---> Blista
Bobcat ---> Bobcat
Boxville ---> Belly Up Van
Bus ---> Bus
Cabbie ---> Cabbie
Cheetah ---> Cheetah
Coach ---> Coach
Coastg ---> Ghost
Comet ---> Banshee
Enforcer ---> Enforcer
Esperanto ---> Esperanto
FBI Rancher ---> FBI Car
Firetruck ---> Firetruck
Flatbed ---> Flatbed
Gang Burrito ---> Hoods Rumpo XL
Idaho ---> Idaho
Infernus ---> Infernus
Landstalker ---> Landstalker
Linerunner ---> Linerunner
Manana ---> Manana
Mesa Grande ---> Panlantic
Moonbeam ---> Moonbeam
Mr. Whoopie ---> Mr. Whoopie
Mule ---> Mule
Patriot ---> Patriot
Perennial ---> Perennial
Pheonix ---> Yakuza Stinger
Police ---> Police
Pony ---> Pony
Predator ---> Predator
Reefer ---> Reefer
Rhino ---> Rhino
Romero's Hearse ---> Corpse
Rumpo ---> Rumpo
Sabre ---> Stinger (hardtop)
Sabre Turbo ---> Diablo Stallion
Sandking ---> Cartel Cruiser
Securicar ---> Securicar
Sentinel ---> Sentinel
Sentinel XS ---> Mafia Sentinel
Speeder ---> Speeder
Stallion ---> Stallion
Stinger ---> Stinger (convertible)
Strech ---> Strech
Taxi ---> Taxi
Top Fun Van ---> Toyz van
Trashmaster ---> Trashmaster
Vicechee ---> Police (Mark's)
Voodoo ---> Yardie lobo
Yankee ---> Yankee
Zebra ---> Borgnine

hope you'll add a gang or two somewhere.

mer cinder
  • mer cinder

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:50 AM

I've just got a suggestion, sorry if it's in the wrong area.
But could you, for the love of god, change the button that spawns the PCJ and the Hunter? When I use my pad it does it while pressing the run/gas button. So When off the bike, I get a constant barage of falling vehicles while running from the cops.

For some reason with keyboard controls, it doesn't do this. But I, and I think most people, prefer driving with a gamepad rather than a mouse/keyboard.

Outback
  • Outback

GTA:LC Team

• Members

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (mer cinder @ Feb 13 2004, 03:50)
For some reason with keyboard controls, it doesn't do this. But I, and I think most people, prefer driving with a gamepad rather than a mouse/keyboard.

I use a gamepad for driving only. On foot, I use kb/mouse. Works very well, and I've gotten so used to it I don't even notice when I switch now.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:41 AM Edited by CraigKostelecky, 13 February 2004 - 10:21 PM.

I changed mine so you hold the run button and the duck button. That way I never get those by accident. It's a simple fix really(even if you've never coded)

Oops.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:50 PM

The run button is the sprint button blink.gif

The current spawn button is set up to be Spint and NOT left, right, forward, and back. There is no reason to Sprint without direction, so I chose it to be that way as it wasn't being used for anything else. It sounds as if mer cinder's issue is one of personal configuration. Keep in mind too that the spawning of the Hunter and PCJ600 is only an interim stage to add to the usability of the current state of LC. As the mod fills in coding wise to be more of the gangster town LC was in GTA3, this feature will of course be removed. This could also be removed once the paths are fully restored.

However, many people have asked for such a thing, and so I will change it. I expect to make an updated code soon (possibly today/tonight) and will change it to be Sprint, Aim, and NOT left, right, forward, and back. There is no reason for anybody to be pressing Sprint and Aim at the same time, so this should be agreeable to everybody (even though I felt that way about Sprint and no directions too).

roger1079
  • roger1079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 February 2004 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Feb 13 2004, 15:50)
However, many people have asked for such a thing, and so I will change it. I expect to make an updated code soon (possibly today/tonight) and will change it to be Sprint, Aim, and NOT left, right, forward, and back. There is no reason for anybody to be pressing Sprint and Aim at the same time, so this should be agreeable to everybody (even though I felt that way about Sprint and no directions too).

any luck with this?

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2004 - 05:51 AM

How hard is to create a code in the main.scm?

When will the next release be in?

Can you make the basic stuff first like the unique jumps?

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

A. f*ck

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2004 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (Knux @ Feb 11 2004, 10:57)
hope you'll add a gang or two somewhere.

Yes I would love to know when we can expect to see gangs in the game again?

Not to rush or anything... just curious. turn.gif

Teancum
  • Teancum

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:40 PM

I just made an interesting discovery in GTA3, that should be in GTA:LC. The 'spawning garage'. It's in Stuanton near the dam. This would be ideal for quick spawning of vehicles until missions and other things are ready.

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

• Members

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:04 AM

you meen the TWO garage when you get trucks in one(portland docks) and cars (shoreside one) and when all of them are in, you can choose then? Sounds possible (it's in the main.scm tounge.gif ) would be great too. But still, no pressure.

killer.ip
  • killer.ip

GTA:LC Moderator

• Members

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:23 AM

This aspect of the game was way too easy in VC, almost looked as if R* had skimmed over it, I'm well looking forward to playing the original version. tounge2.gif

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:23 AM

Do anyone here knows a lot about GTA3 and Vice City in-game? Or even completed the games 100%?

Blunted1
  • Blunted1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:43 AM Edited by Blunted1, 22 February 2004 - 11:44 AM.

@Demarest

It was mentioned before about spawning the bike and heli and possibly changeing that to a combo of two buttons, so that gamepad users arent left in the cold with no way to run besides spawning endless lines of helicopters and bikes behind them slowing their game down considerably....

Just wondering if that is anywhere close to finished? From what someone here says that is extremily simple and could be done in a matter of minutes by someone who knows what they are doing.

Also, until there are places to save and missions to accomplish... etc, I would love to see a collection of guns and other items at even just one of your hideouts.
Running around collecting everything gets tiresome and I dont want to have to run a trainer everytime I want to use guns or replace armor.

Anyways, those are the two features I would love to see for a next version of my installer so I thought I would ask you since they are aparently so easy to code. If you do not want to add this to an official release that is completily understandable, but maybe you would consider throwing it together for my use?
I would really appreciate it, if you don't mind and have the time, but I understand completily if you don't want to and I can find someone who is willing, so please just let me know either way, thanks smile.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:12 PM

As some of you may realize, this has been far from the easiest time in my life. In fact, it's a miracle that I'm still alive at all, and this is partially because of illspirit and others that you wouldn't know. While this is of no consequence to the lot of you and mayhaps to some, not a good reason; it is MY reason. With Blunted1 specifically, I'm still not entirely over being accused via PM of being somebody who's doing everything just for show. If I had any choice over this aspect of my life, it would not be the way it is and it truly hurt being accused of that when I've only been open to the community about it because it is only with their help that I've been able to carry on.

I will say that during this time of my life, I've tried very hard to go the extra mile to answer people's questions board-wide including coding, picture taking, and working on my walkthrough some. I use my time as productively as possible to both pass the time as well as remind myself that I do have reasons to continue on with my life instead of wallowing in the sorrow until my butterfly returns.

In the coming week, I do have tues and wed off of work as well as fri and sat. That's a lot of practically continuous off time. Combine that with Blunted1's recent release pack killing any excuse I could make about not having an updated LC pack, and I can all but guarantee that you will have an updated SCM within a week. My goals include redoing the parked cars to better reflect the official car conversion list, changing the spawning button, and seeing what part of the original code I can include. I understand what it is to want an updated, but I also understand that I've heard very little about any GXT or ped updates. I really didn't want to have to recode the game twice, but I guess I have no choice. Just know that on-screen text is going to be awkward at the very least.

But again, no guarantees. For whatever reason, the commitment seems to make me shy away from something more. I'll work on that.

Blunted1
  • Blunted1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:50 PM

Let me clear up that I am not accuseing you of going through personal problems "for show". The comment I made was suggesting that maybe a video game forum is not the best place for your love life to unravel and for you to contemplate suicide. And I do believe that some of it is a bit over the top (my own personal opinion)...

but let me apologize for that, right here and now. It seems you are getting a lot of help and support from people here and if that gets you through the day then who am I to complain about it? blush.gif

So I am truelly sorry for that comment Dem. I am sure you can apreciate it was not completily off base, but disagreeing with something that is helping you cope is not something I want to do.
I wish you all the luck in your personal life, despite the fact that I have nothing to do with that part of your life.
I know things are tough but you will come out the other end stronger and wiser no doubt.

I dont want any problems with you Dem, so if we could let the past rest in peace and go on with the future I think it would be benificial to everyone.

The main.scm changes that i requested would take you a few minutes to complete and the would not interfere with the GXT or the peds whatsoever.
If you could possibly update those two things and release that it would make a world of difference to me Dem.
If you would rather not then I will have someone else do the code for my release as I would like to have an updated installer ready in the next day or two includeing some changes that will make a large impact for some like the two mentioned.

I get the feeling you do not want to help me by makeing those two changes, so unless you say otherwise i will go now to find someone else to code for me.

I dont think you should waste your time doing anything twice becuase something else isnt being worked on.
If I get any spare time from everything else I am doing I will atleast look at the GXT as that seems like it should be fairly straight forward, and I will get a friend who is into textureing to look at the peds for me, although from what i have read that might have to wait for the new editor that someone is makeing.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:41 PM

This isn't really the place, so I'll be brief.

QUOTE (Blunted1 @ Feb 22 2004, 07:50)
but let me apologize for that, right here and now. It seems you are getting a lot of help and support from people here and if that gets you through the day then who am I to complain about it? blush.gif
That is probably the single nicest thing you've ever said to me. Thank you.

So I am truelly sorry for that comment Dem. I am sure you can apreciate it was not completily off base
No I understood where you were coming from. I think that's why it hurt so much. I think that if you knew my life, both past and present, it would make more sense. So I felt that you were judging way too quickly to realize how it was different form situations that might seem similar.

I dont want any problems with you Dem, so if we could let the past rest in peace and go on with the future I think it would be benificial to everyone.
I've wanted that from day one. I've always told you that I was down for that.

The main.scm changes that i requested would take you a few minutes to complete and the would not interfere with the GXT or the peds whatsoever.
The button things would take moments. The saving thing would take some time though.

If you could possibly update those two things and release that it would make a world of difference to me Dem. If you would rather not then I will have someone else do the code for my release as I would like to have an updated installer ready in the next day or two includeing some changes that will make a large impact for some like the two mentioned.
That's a bit out of line. While I may not be pulling my weight well enough around here, I don't see how intentionally releasing code that didn't come from me is going to help. Especially after I just posted that I'm going to get on it. Right now, I'm hours past my bed time and work the next 2 nights. So it's going to have to wait as far as my input. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your schedule.

I get the feeling you do not want to help me by makeing those two changes, so unless you say otherwise i will go now to find someone else to code for me.
I do want to help you as I appreciate your efforts. I don't think making presumptions as to my intentions and then posting them as fact is going to help anybody here. It strikes me as distasteful.

I dont think you should waste your time doing anything twice becuase something else isnt being worked on.
If I get any spare time from everything else I am doing I will atleast look at the GXT as that seems like it should be fairly straight forward
I wish. If nothing else, the documentation aspect of it alone will more than double the work load. Not to mention that it has to be tackled by somebody with a decent amount of retention from both games to understand what's expendable and what must stay. If that's you, go for it if you want. After the next SCM update, I'll probably get started on it. Not looking forward to that as it is going to be a very tedious transition.

Blunted1
  • Blunted1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:33 PM

Good stuff biggrin.gif I am glad I read you wrong and you are willing to help.

You said that the "button thing" will take minutes, but the "save thing" will take longer......

Let me clarify the second thing I want incase i explained incorrectly or unclear,
I just want a row of weapon pick ups (all the gta3 weapons) and armor, maybe a couple wanted stars.... maybe that will take a while but I thought that was fairly easy too confused.gif
All of that would be removed for the official version, it would just be nice to have for now.

That is not necessary if it is too much trouble, because as I said it would be temporary.

Just to keep you informed, a common complaint I have heard is that you do not get sent to the hospital if you die or the police station if busted.
If that one is easy to fix that might be a good idea for a next release.
But again if it is difficult leave it for later if you like.

I just need something quick for the next installer that will tackle the spawning button, and add to the beta and make it more enjoyable until the missions and everything are ready.
A row of weapons and armor would be great for rampageing, and correct character spawning after death would make a big difference in looks, so if they are easy enough..... if not dont worry about it.

Anyway I really appreciate you helping my little installer project and I didnt mean to make asumptions sad.gif sorry

I know your life is in turmoil right now but I am goig to avoid the subject whenever possible. If you would like to talk at all, I am more than willing to listen if you want to PM me, but here at the forum I am going to keep things strictly business to maintain the status-quo going on so far if that is OK smile.gif
I hope things get easier for you soon in that department smile.gif

X-fix
  • X-fix

Lifes in a box

• Members

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:37 AM Edited by X-fix, 23 February 2004 - 07:49 AM.

I have updated the main.scm whit the hostpitals and police stations :

My Webpage

Blunted1
  • Blunted1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (X-fix @ Feb 23 2004, 07:37)

My Webpage

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "...with the hospitals and police stations...", but
I installed your main.scm and when I die or get busted I still spawn at the airport.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:32 PM

I would delete the last 2 posts, but it's not Blunted's fault that this went askew and I don't want to censor him if it isn't necessary.

I do know that the way VC and GTA3 consider hospitals and police stations are different. Whether or not I'll be able to reproduce GTA3's style of doing so is unknown, but obviously EXTREMELY important. I'll look into it on my days off. Suffice it to say that in my Timetwister mod, dieing or getting arrested spawn you at the scene of where you took the mission from. So I do have tons of experience in the matter, but for a different engine. It WILL be looked into.

I apologize that I do not have the time ATM to add the weapons and such. But I did go ahead and add having to hold Sprint and aim to spawn the Hunter and PCJ600. I took out the directional key check and delayed reaction check since the keypress combo is now more difficult to "accidentally" hit. You can grab it here.

X-fix
  • X-fix

Lifes in a box

• Members

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Blunted1 @ Feb 23 2004, 11:43)
QUOTE (X-fix @ Feb 23 2004, 07:37)

My Webpage

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "...with the hospitals and police stations...", but
I installed your main.scm and when I die or get busted I still spawn at the airport.

I must to delete that code but if you died on portland you will spawn at portland airport smile.gif

@demarest: my english is bad sorry but i can't understand you cryani.gif

Blunted1
  • Blunted1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Feb 23 2004, 12:32)
I would delete the last 2 posts, but it's not Blunted's fault that this went askew and I don't want to censor him if it isn't necessary.

I do know that the way VC and GTA3 consider hospitals and police stations are different. Whether or not I'll be able to reproduce GTA3's style of doing so is unknown, but obviously EXTREMELY important. I'll look into it on my days off. Suffice it to say that in my Timetwister mod, dieing or getting arrested spawn you at the scene of where you took the mission from. So I do have tons of experience in the matter, but for a different engine. It WILL be looked into.

I apologize that I do not have the time ATM to add the weapons and such. But I did go ahead and add having to hold Sprint and aim to spawn the Hunter and PCJ600. I took out the directional key check and delayed reaction check since the keypress combo is now more difficult to "accidentally" hit. You can grab it here.

Thank you very much Dem cool.gif
Even if you cant get the weapons in just yet, that is great biggrin.gif
It will make a big difference for some people smile.gif
If there are any other small quick changes like this that wont be affected later by gxt changes or the like, it would be much appreciated

I am not sure what you meant by your last post and I speak english just fine.
You said its not my fault so I hope thats a good thing and not a " he didnt do it intentionally" thing dontgetit.gif
I think, that you are upset because you asked everyone to leave the mission codeing for you and that you did not need "two cooks in the kitchen" as that could potentially ruin things and make your job harder?
Is that anywhere close? blush.gif

The one thing that I did read loud and clear regardless though....

Demarest has everything under control in this department and does not need contributions to the MAIN.SCM unless discussed with him first.

X-fix
  • X-fix

Lifes in a box

• Members

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:53 PM

sad.gif i have only added the hostpitals and police stations

Blunted1
  • Blunted1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (X-fix @ Feb 23 2004, 14:53)
sad.gif i have only added the hostpitals and police stations

Im really sorry X-bit but I still cannot understand what you mean.
The hospitals and police stations themselves were already there and are models pinned together by data files.... that has nothing to do with the main.scm

So I am assuming that you added something to the hospitals and police stations or something to do wit them.

Were you saying that you must have deleted a certain island, but in the other two you spawn at the police and hospital when killed or busted?

Sorry Im trying real hard to understand what you are saying but I'm just not catching it after trying your file confused.gif

Don't wory about the mission codeing, Demarest has everything under control and would prefer to do it himself I think.
Thats not to say your contribution is bad, he would just find it easier to work solo on this part.

You can contact him and ask him if you can help if you like but I am pretty sure he will say the same.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users