75 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (kipo @ Feb 15 2004, 06:56)
ok what I said before was wrong, coords in the paths in gta3 are relative to the origin of an object, whereas in vice city they are relative to the origin of the map, they both use the 16x method, but the coords are obviously not the same. I dont know how you are trying to achieve this but it's definitively not an easy task, I take it you already knew all I just said, so you must have some clever workaround for this problem.

Blast, your right. That explains why they have the object ID# and name at the start of each set of nodes. There's no easy workaround for this, it would require checking the location of the object via the IPL and then adding the path co-ord to get the relative position to the "real" origin at the centre of the map, which is what Vice uses. That's possible, in a general sense, but would require a bit of a convertor type program and a hell of a long time running the old data through it. sad.gif

This is doubly bad news because it means making the paths for Majera GTA3 will be seriously tricky and will have to be changed if/when the names of the models change.

Cerbera kicks GTA3 paths system.

kipo
  • kipo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:21 PM Edited by kipo, 18 February 2004 - 09:25 PM.

not to worry, along with your bad news, I have some good news. Since my last reply here, I didnt think a conversion was possible (at least not as easy as it appeared to be), so I was working on the paths again, hopefully you guys will like this release

things left to be done:
- boat paths.
- make nodes closer together, this will hopefully increase traffic, aswell as increase the file size, but we should be safe until it reaches 1.11 MBs (vice city's original size).
- peds in parks, subways, etc.
- fix some bugs and paths not similar to gta3's.

EDIT: Knux's paths are included there too, I hope he doesnt mind.

killer.ip
  • killer.ip

GTA:LC Moderator

• Members

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

That certainly is good news kipo, fantastic work once again... Staunton's no longer the ghost town it's been for the past couple of months. Knux has been saying he doesn't mind you combining the work so far, and you're both credited in the download thread so it's cool. Talking of that, the official link in that thread has now been updated.

Good job fella. wink.gif

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:12 AM

Boat paths? I guess I'll have to pop GTAIII and and see as I don't remember GTAIII's waters being very active in terms of pedestrian traffic. I'll give these paths a try. The one thing I am hoping for is more density in the traffic. In which you say may improve by adding between the nodes. I'll test these out after my midterms tommorrow.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:12 AM

One thing Vice City have that GTA3 doesn't is boat traffic.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:22 AM

Which is Mark's point. We're shooting for GTA3 authenticity here. Consider no boat paths a perk.

kipo
  • kipo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 February 2004 - 04:09 AM Edited by Demarest, 19 February 2004 - 04:59 PM.

no boat paths it is

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

ex-GTA:LC co-leader (sounds lame now)

• Members

Posted 19 February 2004 - 04:52 PM Edited by Knux, 19 February 2004 - 05:32 PM.

but if you dont add boat paths, there won't be any police boats after u when you have 1+ stars.... we should modify the default.ide to make no boats to appear on paths (as traffic) but to let them only for police.

EDIT: an important note on paths:

you ABSOLUTLY need to set the road blocks locations on the nodes to make them appear, you can see that right now, only road blocks appear in Portlant (part I did). For that, in the editor, go on a node where you want a road block, and put "1" in the 5th flag(from the left). Do that for all stategic points in the city for them.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2004 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (MarkPagliaro @ Feb 19 2004, 02:12)
Boat paths? I guess I'll have to pop GTAIII and and see as I don't remember GTAIII's waters being very active in terms of pedestrian traffic. I'll give these paths a try. The one thing I am hoping for is more density in the traffic. In which you say may improve by adding between the nodes. I'll test these out after my midterms tommorrow.

The spacing between the nodes does nothing to change the density. Vice simply draws ~15 peds on the screen and ~5 cars at any time. Citizens are NOT just created on the node points, they are created on the striaght lines between them too. Thus increasing the node density just makes curved paths smoother. smile.gif

I won't be working on the paths as they cannot be converted.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:09 AM

what where they thinking only 5 cars at one time! I noticed when driving with the latest paths because of this issue that a two way street seem rather unactive as all 5 cars are going the same direction. Still these paths are awsome! Thanks kipo/knux and any others that where combined.

kipo
  • kipo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:32 AM

yeah been testing with closer nodes for the last couple of days, and there wasnt any noticeable difference, traffic will never be as it was in gta3, something that always bothered me too since the original vice city, was that with 5+ stars (fbi), almost all traffic disappears.
Maybe someone can make a trainer-like program to increase the number of cars that spawn in your "bubble"?

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:46 PM

Does more traffic cause lag? The game already lags around the lots.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (kipo @ Feb 22 2004, 03:32)
yeah been testing with closer nodes for the last couple of days, and there wasnt any noticeable difference, traffic will never be as it was in gta3, something that always bothered me too since the original vice city, was that with 5+ stars (fbi), almost all traffic disappears.
Maybe someone can make a trainer-like program to increase the number of cars that spawn in your "bubble"?

Using memory hacking this can be acheived. Steve-M and Delfi do it quite a lot, I read steve reporting what happened when he prevented cars from being destroyed by the trash clearup. However, GTA3 has the same vehicle limitations as Vice so altering it would brake the authenticity thing you guys have going here. smile.gif

If your game is lagging badly, try defragmenting your hard drive. Also, if the game lags in standard Vice then you are simply running too high a draw distance and screen resolution. Drop both these down a few settings for draw distance and a couple of resolution should help. Cars shouldn't cause as much lag as pedestrians, but there's so few of either that if your game is lagging with the GTA3 or Vice cars you are just running the settings I've mentioned too high.

Outback
  • Outback

GTA:LC Team

• Members

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:13 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like LC's "traffic bubble" is alot smaller than the one in VC. And traffic is alot more sparse, too. Might just be the time of day...I don't know...

artigamer
  • artigamer

ArtiGamer

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:09 PM

I done all paths. if some one needs them b free 2 ask. smile.gif

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

So is it up for download? EVERY paths done?

artigamer
  • artigamer

ArtiGamer

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:12 PM Edited by artigamer, 01 March 2004 - 10:13 PM.

Yes ALL is done. I was doing it for gta-wo, but I touth why not share with you. started like a week ago. done by now.

Btw I want to make the train 2 but for that I need a good car modeler. Some one who can help me?

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

• Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:37 PM Edited by Knux, 01 March 2004 - 10:39 PM.

erm, ALL paths are already done, look at the official files thread... dozingoff.gif

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=126288

7th

kipo
  • kipo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:59 AM

Yes the paths can be considered almost done, Im currently working on making the nodes closer to each other, althought this doesn't seem to increase the traffic density at all, I believe it is important to do it this way for 2 reasons: 1.that's the way it's done in vice city. 2.(could be wrong with this one) the car chases seem smooth and flawless: with the current paths some cops turn for no reason and crash into a wall.

@artigamer: feel free to post your work, the fact that I post something doesnt mean it's official, it is up to the team leaders to decide what goes in and what goes out, we will all come out winning anyway with the final product.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:44 PM

I highly doubt you accomplished in a week what took others much longer to accomplish working together. At the same time, I urge you to release your work. We'll use whatever's best of all options before us. But just posting and asking people to contact you privately goes against the public air we shoot for here. We've already banned one person from the project for his excessive attempts at keeping transactions behind closed doors. This is a public mod, so if you have work to offer, we'd appreciate it. Just give it a link so we can try it out and compare it the the paths we have.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 02 March 2004 - 03:54 PM

Ive been talking to him over MSN, and i think that hes been working on them for a while, for the GTA:WO team. Ill see if i can take a look at them, and upload them for him.

On a side note:
Blunted1 has been spamming the GTA:WO team with emails. I wont go into the details.

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

• Members

Posted 02 March 2004 - 05:58 PM Edited by Demarest, 03 March 2004 - 04:13 PM.

adding more node doesn't add more traffic density , the game is limited to a specific number, the thing that it does is only adding more traffic spawn points, the traffic appears only on blue nodes, if you only do a big straight road with 3 nodes, (1 blue), traffic will only appears where is the node, nowhere else.

NOTE AGAIN: ADD ROAD BLOCKS! tounge.gif

For those that can't or are downloading the file in the official thread and tells that there is no stauton are wrong, I just downloaded it and it's the same files as I have (all 3 islands with traffic and peds)

I uploaded it somewhere else for everyone:

CLICK HERE

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 March 2004 - 06:15 PM

@Knux: If you need me to update any links anytime, just let me know (PM me if you want).

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

• Members

Posted 02 March 2004 - 06:26 PM

yeah, you're better to update the paths link in the official thread, the kipo's one is on Lycos, and it doesn't accept external links (need some things to be changed in the adress bar after to download it) just put the one I uploaded in the post bellow smile.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:30 PM

But yours has GTAWO in the path. Any way to fix that?

karlneil
  • karlneil

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

i have downloaded the final paths file but it seems to me that traffic is not working normally , in airport , the place where you teleport the cars are driving on the sidewalk and then the cars drive around on the airfield. someone should overlook it.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:46 PM

Youve put it in the wrong folder as far as i can tell. I think it goes in the data/Gta3maps folder and if it doesnt go there, then it goes in the data folder. Someone will tell you, they do work, im using them biggrin.gif

Or you could just do what i do, put them in every folder you can think of confused.gif

killer.ip
  • killer.ip

GTA:LC Moderator

• Members

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Smithers2 @ Mar 3 2004, 15:46)
Or you could just do what i do, put them in every folder you can think of confused.gif

Ya cheeky scamp you. biggrin.gif

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

• Members

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:10 PM

@Demarest: here for you (new link) HERE

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (karlneil @ Mar 3 2004, 14:08)
i have downloaded the final paths file but it seems to me that traffic is not working normally , in airport , the place where you teleport the cars are driving on the sidewalk and then the cars drive around on the airfield. someone should overlook it.

MAke sure you delete the original paths in the original data, folder this was my problem before with the traffic not working. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users