Photo

MEET THE TEAM

231 replies to this topic
Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:09 AM

LC is (IMHO) just as hard to make as Rockstar making a game from scratch - whilst they are creating a new engine, we had to learn how to mod the VC one. Also, LC is probably harder to make the way we are doing it - we're doing the best we can with what tools we've got - but if we had some of Rockstar's tools I'm sure we could do it a lot easier.

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:23 AM

All the people on this team have substantial skills, whether its modeling or just knowing alot about something. Everybody here has contributed their free time to create such a amazing total conversion for Vice City. Rockstar on the other hand does what they do because they get paid and its not on their own time. IMO I think you are all crazy for what you do for this mod, I don't have the time or the paitence to sit down and work on something for hours unless I get something out of it, besides a really cool mod. biggrin.gif

Squiddy
  • Squiddy

Back!

• The Connection

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

You might now or not, I volunteered for doing the outro graphic. Well, I didn't had the time to do it yet, and I promised it to make it today - but my time schedule was changed. But my post isn't useless, I got a question.

As you know, the outro graphic is pretty full, there isn't much room for anymore people, or at least not much. So what would you think about having 2, or 3 outros? What I'm thinking about is having the first outro displayed for 2-3 seconds, the next one for the same amount etc. You get the idea I think.

So, what do you think? smile.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

I'd be more in favor of redoing the current one so every name can fit on there. Even if that means we have to shrink the pictures or move them closer together. Or we could completely change things up and lose the avatars as well. I'm totally open to ideas about this. But I would like everything to be on one screen.

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:19 AM

i dont think i have seen choofy's name on the list blink.gif
or are you going to add him when he sends you his model fixes. but he did make actors already...

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:26 AM

Hey Squiddy, that's fine. I forgot about how cramped that screen was. Yeah, perhaps losing the avatars might be the way to go - Choofy, for example, doesn't have one (no Thomas, he's on the list, or was when I last looked).

I'm not really sure about the format though - you can't include everyone's contributions because that wouldn't even come close to fitting: you'd need a whole screen just for Craig tounge2.gif ! Perhaps have GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY written across the top (in some font?) and then just list everyone's name in columns and rows on the page. It doesn't need to be anything extravagent because it's not up there long enough to read all the names anyway. But, if it's all going to be on one screen, it needs to be up there for a bit longer so people can actually read the names. I don't mind the current background - just lose the avatars and I think it'd be great. cool.gif

Squiddy
  • Squiddy

Back!

• The Connection

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:34 AM

Why not having more screens? IMO it doesn't devides the contributers in 2 parts or something like that, not sure what the problem is, it just makes things easier. confused.gif
Besides it's not a big deal to make the screen show up a little longer... but okay, I see what I can do about one screen.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

Well, I only went along with the one-screen because that's what Craig suggested, and he's normally right about LC stuff. Besides, the final decision is his, so I just applied my suggestions to the one-screen theory.

I spose when you think about it, having more screens might get annoying after you've played the mod numerous times. When you choose quit, you want to quit, not look at several screens full of names. I dunno - I look forward to seeing what you come up with though wink.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:55 AM

How exactly would multiple screens work? Is it an exe hack to make it choose one or the other? And how would you go about dividing the names up between the screens?

I guess I was against the multiple screens because some people might not realize there's more than one credit screen and only see half the names (as they may not pay attention to it after their first time playing). I suppose I'm open to this option as well. If you want to do it that way Squiddy, I'll probably be okay with it wink.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:04 AM

Well, isn't the EXE set up to automatically search for and play the outro.txd after QUIT is selected?

If this is the case, wouldn't it be possible then to hack the EXE and tell it to load outro.txd, outro1.txd, outro2.txd, etc. without having the option of skipping them. You could keep the avatars then, and it'd be a simple case of just splitting the names current screen into two groups (say top and bottom) and moving the bottom ones to the new screen, along with the new names/avatars to be added. Then, each "member" could be enlarged, and the timing wouldn't have to be tweaked because there'd be a greater chance to read all of the names on one screen. I dunno, just another suggestion - if that's at all possible? confused.gif

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

Exe hacking is a bit extreme, IMO. The question is - will the list include less important people... like me? (I'm being modest again, but that's just how it is.) Because in that case it would be impossible to stuff all the names AND AVATARS on one screen. I'd go for the names only thing. Then again - I won't be angry if you leave me out smile.gif

Squiddy
  • Squiddy

Back!

• The Connection

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Jan 7 2006, 09:04)
Well, isn't the EXE set up to automatically search for and play the outro.txd after QUIT is selected?

If this is the case, wouldn't it be possible then to hack the EXE and tell it to load outro.txd, outro1.txd, outro2.txd, etc. without having the option of skipping them. You could keep the avatars then, and it'd be a simple case of just splitting the names current screen into two groups (say top and bottom) and moving the bottom ones to the new screen, along with the new names/avatars to be added. Then, each "member" could be enlarged, and the timing wouldn't have to be tweaked because there'd be a greater chance to read all of the names on one screen. I dunno, just another suggestion - if that's at all possible? confused.gif

Exactly.

Well, I just had a quick look and tried some things, but VC attempts to load outro.txd selecting QUIT. A internal timer is then increased every frame and checked if it reached 150, then VC quits completely. Let's say you got 50fps, it'll be over in about 3 seconds. What I thought of is hacking this system to display the first screen, let's say outro.txd. After the timer reached 100, we change the screen to outro1.txd and so on. Of course we could make the timer fps independet by checking the time that has passed, that'd be possible too.

I don't think there is a way of skipping the current quit screen, is there? If not, then there's no way to skip 2 screens, because we're just changing the texture that gets displayed. Just think of San Andreas' changing loading screens, that's what I thought of.

I spose when you think about it, having more screens might get annoying after you've played the mod numerous times. When you choose quit, you want to quit, not look at several screens full of names.
That's a good point, didn't thought about that. But, on my pc I look about 2-3 seconds on the quit screen, wouldn't be that bad if it was 4-5 seconds imo. I really like the idea of having avatars on the screen, I think it's easier to read and recognize the people.

The question is - will the list include less important people... like me?
I looked at the first post, there are around 60 people mentioned. Would be possible to have 30 in one coloumn, 2 coloums on one screen. But also 30 people with avatars on 2 screens.

Well, I think I just try it out with one and two screens.

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Jan 6 2006, 21:26)
Hey Squiddy, that's fine. I forgot about how cramped that screen was. Yeah, perhaps losing the avatars might be the way to go - Choofy, for example, doesn't have one (no Thomas, he's on the list, or was when I last looked).

I'm not really sure about the format though - you can't include everyone's contributions because that wouldn't even come close to fitting: you'd need a whole screen just for Craig tounge2.gif ! Perhaps have GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY written across the top (in some font?) and then just list everyone's name in columns and rows on the page. It doesn't need to be anything extravagent because it's not up there long enough to read all the names anyway. But, if it's all going to be on one screen, it needs to be up there for a bit longer so people can actually read the names. I don't mind the current background - just lose the avatars and I think it'd be great. cool.gif

oh i must have missed it. there are sooo many people on that list i must have skipped a few lines.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

Well Squiddy, good luck with it - I look forward to seeing what you can do with it. If you could get the multiple screens happening, that'd be awesome.

And Kon, I think that it's important that EVERYONE who has contributed to this mod rates a mention in the outro - so yes, you'll be included.

Note to Squiddy - make sure you include the bug finders, and anyone else that may have been missed in the original outro. Thanks wink.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:24 AM

I noticed that Dalpura now has a link for v5b in the download thread, so I've added him for hosting.

@Squiddy - what's the latest with the outro? Have you managed to get that multiple screen thing going?

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Jan 9 2006, 19:05)
Well Squiddy, good luck with it - I look forward to seeing what you can do with it. If you could get the multiple screens happening, that'd be awesome.

And Kon, I think that it's important that EVERYONE who has contributed to this mod rates a mention in the outro - so yes, you'll be included.

Note to Squiddy - make sure you include the bug finders, and anyone else that may have been missed in the original outro. Thanks wink.gif

so bug finders like kon and I will get some recognition? biggrin.gif sounds cool.
So if i read correctly the only way to get the multiple screens to work is to hack the exe? which exe, gta_vc.exe or gta_lc.exe? if its the vc one than how can you provide it to everybody w/o breakings some crazy law?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:11 AM

All exe changes are handled through the launcher (which is or soon will be compatible with all known versions of the vice city exe file).

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Feb 5 2006, 05:11)
All exe changes are handled through the launcher (which is or soon will be compatible with all known versions of the vice city exe file).

To keep everything tidy I'll probably include my menu hacking code in the gta_lc.asi, if that's ok I guess.

What Squiddy is suggesting with 2 outro screens is very possible, and is easily achievable using the functions that I use for the menu background changes. This is how I do it:
CODE
VOID LoadBackgroundMenu(char* texturename)
{

// Save current TXD
TxdStore.PushCurrentTxd();

// Does our slot already exist?
DWORD txdslot = TxdStore.FindTxdSlot("menu");

// If not...
if (txdslot == 0xFFFFFFFF)
{

// Add our own slot
 txdslot = TxdStore.AddTxdSlot("menu");
 // Load our menu txd into that slot
 TxdStore.LoadTxd(txdslot, "MODELS/MENU.TXD");
 // Add a reference to that slot
 TxdStore.AddRef(txdslot);

}

// Set the current TXD to ours for reading of textures
TxdStore.SetCurrentTxd(txdslot);

// Set the menu background sprite to any texture in our TXD
Sprite2d.SetTexture((void*)0x008696B4, texturename, nullstring);

// Load previous TXD
TxdStore.PopCurrentTxd();

}

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (MM)
To keep everything tidy I'll probably include my menu hacking code in the gta_lc.asi, if that's ok I guess.

What Squiddy is suggesting with 2 outro screens is very possible, and is easily achievable using the functions that I use for the menu background changes. This is how I do it:
CODE
VOID LoadBackgroundMenu(char* texturename)
{

// Save current TXD
TxdStore.PushCurrentTxd();

// Does our slot already exist?
DWORD txdslot = TxdStore.FindTxdSlot("menu");

// If not...
if (txdslot == 0xFFFFFFFF)
{

// Add our own slot
txdslot = TxdStore.AddTxdSlot("menu");
// Load our menu txd into that slot
TxdStore.LoadTxd(txdslot, "MODELS/MENU.TXD");
// Add a reference to that slot
TxdStore.AddRef(txdslot);

}

// Set the current TXD to ours for reading of textures
TxdStore.SetCurrentTxd(txdslot);

// Set the menu background sprite to any texture in our TXD
Sprite2d.SetTexture((void*)0x008696B4, texturename, nullstring);

// Load previous TXD
TxdStore.PopCurrentTxd();

}

Thanks MM - that'll probably be a big help with getting it all together. The checklist has a notes about the planned exe hack, so perhaps Hammer can work with it when he gets the German version done.

Actually, he may already be working on it - he was online a week ago IIRC. Perhaps he just hasn't had a chance to release it yet.

v6 (the public release version) will be awesome... biggrin.gif !

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:06 AM

I talked to Hammer a little bit this weekend. He has the German exe, but it's not implemented into the LC launcher yet. Work is keeping him quite busy these days. But it will eventually be done.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:52 AM

Ahhh, thanks. I PM'ed him to put him in touch with the guy who offered a German exe (sometime in December last year!), but I didn't hear back from him. I figured that he was busy with Real Life™ issues. cool.gif

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Feb 7 2006, 00:52)
Life™

heh heh, trademarks?!? hmm... GTA: Liberty City™ he he, the mod is official... j/k
german exe, oh yeah, but i thought that the exe problems were sorted out, everybody can now play right?

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

German, Austrian, Swiss, and players from a few other nations perhaps, can't play LC due to memory offset issues with the German VC exe. But, I don't think it's a real major issue for Hammer to sort out wink.gif .

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:21 AM

Ok, I've been working on an updated readme (from beta 1 - html style) and I've sent it to Craig - it's pretty much complete, with only a few minor fixes to be done as v6 draws closer to public release.

However, that's not really the point of this post...

NOTE TO LC LED-BYS!

Any new additions to the list in the first post of this topic - can you please put them at the bottom of the table so I can find them easily. And, any changes that you make to that list (new additions, contributions, whatever) - can you please either post a reply or PM me with who you changed/added, so I can update the readme easily.

@Craig - Forgot to add ped conversions for silver, but my copy has that now.

The first post of this topic isn't as up-to-date as the readme, but I'll get around to updating it sometime soon wink.gif .

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:38 PM Edited by benisablink182fan, 17 February 2006 - 10:44 PM.

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Feb 12 2006, 13:21)
Ok, I've been working on an updated readme (from beta 1 - html style) and I've sent it to Craig - it's pretty much complete, with only a few minor fixes to be done as v6 draws closer to public release.

However, that's not really the point of this post...

NOTE TO LC LED-BYS!

Any new additions to the list in the first post of this topic - can you please put them at the bottom of the table so I can find them easily.  And, any changes that you make to that list (new additions, contributions, whatever) - can you please either post a reply or PM me with who you changed/added, so I can update the readme easily.

@Craig - Forgot to add ped conversions for silver, but my copy has that now.

The first post of this topic isn't as up-to-date as the readme, but I'll get around to updating it sometime soon wink.gif .

First post updated icon14.gif .

There's a couple of changes I've made to people's contributions (stuff that I can think of that's been previously left off). I've updated my source code for the readme and it's the same as the first post of this topic - the note still applies:

When updating the first post, please post here/PM me exactly what you have changed so I can update the readme. Thanks in advance.

@Craig and CTM - I've sent you my updated source so you can update your copies. smile.gif

EDIT:
@Craig - I've emailed it to you because your PM inbox is full and it won't let me send it tounge.gif .

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

Ha! by "left off" do you mean me and the bug list? no problem.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:11 PM Edited by benisablink182fan, 17 February 2006 - 11:38 PM.

Nope - you were already there, and still are. In fact, I added all of the bug finders to the table (along with Monitor57 for his promotional trailer), and changed them to "beta tester/bug finder".

Ben makes a mental note to add "graphics (outro screen)" to Squiddy's contributions once his done.

EDIT - Sorry Craig and CTM. Can you please add the following line underneath Dalpura and above Dygear in your source code for the readme so it's up-to-date (see the first post of this topic if that's not clear)?
CODE
<tr><td><center><a href="http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showuser=43668"><font color="ad80da">Sputn1k</font></a></center></td><td><font color="white">textures</font></td></tr>

Just got a PM from Sputn1k - it seems he was overlooked somewhere along the way. I've added him to the first post too icon14.gif .

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:14 AM

Will the bug finders/beta testers avaters be on the outro screen? if not thats fine by me, i would like to know though.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

Ask Squiddy - he's doing it. But I think that you are supposed to be - you're part of the "team".

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:45 AM

ok, ill PM him eventually. as you can see im messing around with my avatar and sig right now (if the bug finders avatars are going to be on then i dont want to have a gta forums avatar). still not right, oh well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users