» «
Photo

Where the streets have no name?

23 replies to this topic
sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 12:26 AM Edited by sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe, 25 January 2004 - 04:35 PM.

Naming

This is a topic where we can name streets, as well as other things.

Streets
user posted image

Road 1 - Interstate 69/Spirit Highway (Illy, this one's for you)
Road 2 - White Sand Road (Cuz it goes over the beach)
Road 3 - Capital Boulevard (near Skyscrapers, capitalist)
Road 4 - East Tank Street (for tank)
Road 5 - Park Way (Near Park, and pun on Parkway)
Road 6 - Cochon Street (Cochon is french for "Pig" and this is where the Police Station is)
Road 7 - St.Munkfish Street (for Steve M)

Islands

Island 1 - Bovinder Precint (Bovine pun as tribute to KCow)

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 24 2004, 00:26)
There was one thing that always made me mad about GTA3 and Vice. There are no names for the streets. We could create a simple sign model and a few textures and name all of them in a matter of seconds. We can name them in this topic.

Along with a few other things, this also pissed me off. How about if we make a basic sign object and textures with no text on, then copied the "font1" from fonts.txd into a new txd file (saving us from making gawd knows how many individual textures). Then, we'd either have to make individual sign dffs, or make one base sign.dff and then have a small dff for each letter of the alphabet, then place them on the sign via ipl... but that might be a little convoluted. What do you guys think?

Knight Rider
  • Knight Rider

OMG Liek, erm, never mind

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 12:47 AM

http://au.f1.pg.brie...indiana&.view=l

This is a little start, I'm asuming this is the commercial part of the city?

Its not very good though.

@diesel, wont it be easier to have one txd with the base sign dff, and then the other textures are linked to a dff shaped like the front of the sign, so we could easily just use photoshop to simply write in the names, so we can also have a variety of sign textures (some could be old, while some could be brand new)

Get my point?

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:10 AM Edited by sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe, 24 January 2004 - 01:51 AM.

I'm making a map image we can use to pick the names.

EDIT: Done

I'm putting in some names, but they are NOT FINAL! We can change at any time, so don't worry.

ghost of delete key
  • ghost of delete key

ಠ_ಠ ... otter ...

• The Connection

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:17 AM

Here are some useful links to traffic sign resources- model, texture and font images can be had with these:

Street Signs USA

Lake Shore Industries

The Manual Of Traffic Signs Very useful information, which yielded this link...

Font Bureau Higway sign fonts!

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:20 AM

Not a bad find ghost, especially the font thing.

Dutch gamer
  • Dutch gamer

This one can't make mod's

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 07:44 AM

offtopic: The title of this topic is an song of u2

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Dutch gamer @ Jan 24 2004, 02:44)
offtopic: The title of this topic is an song of u2

Yes, that is correct.

cookie.gif

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:38 PM

Good job, will they be small corner signs or raised street signs? We could tie this into the mission script in the future.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 24 January 2004 - 07:19 PM

There are many possibilities for the signage. We can use whatever is most appropriate for a given area.

Knight Rider
  • Knight Rider

OMG Liek, erm, never mind

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:03 AM

This might be offtopic, but does the island it self have a name? I think we could also discuss the name of each island, instead of a whole new topic.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:27 AM

It's called illcom.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 25 January 2004 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 24 2004, 22:27)
It's called illcom.

Yea, but that's a rather lame name. I only did it that way for ease of DFF naming, so, surely we can come up with something better.

As for the street names, I really think the big highway should be named after KCow since he's half the reason why any of this is possible. Or, perhaps we could name the island after him somehow. Otherwise, all the names are great. smile.gif

Hmmmm, for the actual sign models, couldn't we just make a single model, then create multiple ide references to it only have different .txd's assigned for the various names? I can't seem to recall whether the game likes it when you double-book an object like that. But then, it would be just as easy to make copies of the object as well.

Oh, and Diesel, yea, your idea is rather convoluted. Making new textures for each would only take about ten seconds. tounge.gif

Dutch gamer
  • Dutch gamer

This one can't make mod's

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (illspirit @ Jan 25 2004, 06:14)
QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 24 2004, 22:27)
It's called illcom.

Yea, but that's a rather lame name. I only did it that way for ease of DFF naming, so, surely we can come up with something better.

As for the street names, I really think the big highway should be named after KCow since he's half the reason why any of this is possible. Or, perhaps we could name the island after him somehow. Otherwise, all the names are great. smile.gif

Hmmmm, for the actual sign models, couldn't we just make a single model, then create multiple ide references to it only have different .txd's assigned for the various names? I can't seem to recall whether the game likes it when you double-book an object like that. But then, it would be just as easy to make copies of the object as well.

Oh, and Diesel, yea, your idea is rather convoluted. Making new textures for each would only take about ten seconds. tounge.gif

we can use the old sig's whit new textures smile.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (illspirit)
As for the street names, I really think the big highway should be named after KCow since he's half the reason why any of this is possible. Or, perhaps we could name the island after him somehow.

Something with cows in general, like Cattle Drive. But this name fits better to a side street, we should give the big road a neutral name, like Myriad Ring Road.

QUOTE (illspirit)

I'd say, we better make different DFFs with modified UVW's and only one TXD, which has all the signs in a single texture, maybe in the illcom.txd, which is loaded all the time anyway. And we just need seven different street signs, this isn't too much.

There should also be numbers for the houses/lots, like 12 Cattle Drive, so everyone can put a plate on his door.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (ST.MU @ Jan 25 2004, 06:39)
I'd say, we better make different DFFs with modified UVW's and only one TXD, which has all the signs in a single texture, maybe in the illcom.txd, which is loaded all the time anyway. And we just need seven different street signs, this isn't too much.

There should also be numbers for the houses/lots, like 12 Cattle Drive, so everyone can put a plate on his door.

You're forgetting the intersection problem. One street sign has two names on it. That means close one DFF for every intersection, not every street.

Some of the intersections could have custom signs. For example, the exit to the tunnels/bridges to the other islands could have those big overhead highway direction signs.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:26 PM Edited by Cerbera, 30 July 2004 - 08:24 AM.

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 25 2004, 13:02)
QUOTE (ST.MU @ Jan 25 2004, 06:39)

You're forgetting the intersection problem. One street sign has two names on it. That means close one DFF for every intersection, not every street.

Some of the intersections could have custom signs. For example, the exit to the tunnels/bridges to the other islands could have those big overhead highway direction signs.
I've been devising a complete sign system for Majera for a few months now, Bond996 was given the task of making them but he very rarely gets in contact with me or posts progress in the Majera thread. Now I'm banned there's zilch chance of me being able to work with him on that now anyway, though. dontgetit.gif

I'm not sure what the sign conventions for the USA area, but if you have the overhead signs like GTA1 and GTA2 do on thier 4- and 6-lane roads, then you've got something of a pickle. If you look around Vice you see there's actualy a fairly complete set of signs at major junctions:
user posted image
1024 x 768

As the intersections and junctions already have overhead traffic lights, won't adding overhead sign gantries be a bit of a street clutter overkill? It's nice to have it in moderation, that's why I did the street lighting, but when you bear in mind that most properties aren't being made with consistant standards for generic objects like benches saturating the road system could alienate the properties from the roads. Maybe that's natural though. It might even inspire people to use common conventions for generic clutter in thier lots, but as I'm banned from the PC and I created the street lighting conventions it will be near impossible to get them consistant.

If you skim through the textures using TXDTool, you'll see that there's loads of textures for airport signs which are then set to all sorts of different models through the IDE so the system seems pretty flexible. smile.gif
As the roads are either 4- or 2-lanes in the commercial district, making a single gantry to go across the 4-lane road would be fine. It would have sign plates large enough to fit the maximum amount of text on and could be placed and rotated in MooMapper using the IPL, with the relevant IDE entries referring to the relevant TXD. From what I gather, the TXD's contain many textures, so creating an "illcom_signs.TXD" for all the required signs would be enough and could be assigned to the models via thier IDE entry?

Let's just hope the road widths are modeled more consistantly than the textures were applied, else you'll need individual signs for each side of each intersection! tounge.gif I don't think the gantry style should be used on minor roads, we just have a little sign at waist-height with the road name on at both sides of the road and at both ends.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:52 PM

@cerb - I would think we'd only have one overhead sign, that being at the tunnel exit.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 25 2004, 14:02)

Not necessarily, we could also place two signs at each intersection:
user posted image

Saves space and much work... wink.gif

Those large signs should only be used at the big main road (if at all).

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (ST.MU @ Jan 25 2004, 14:00)
user posted image

Saves space and much work... wink.gif

Agreed, the signs should be placed on the paths at the start of every street.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:36 PM

That still means we're instancing the same DFF more than once though. Is that good?

If so, why not just make single sign models with no pole, and then make a model with just a pole. We can skewer any two signs on the top quite easily. In total, we'd have one more DFF, the total amount of vertex data would be less, and it'd be more realistic.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 25 January 2004 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 25 2004, 15:36)
If so, why not just make single sign models with no pole, and then make a model with just a pole. We can skewer any two signs on the top quite easily. In total, we'd have one more DFF, the total amount of vertex data would be less, and it'd be more realistic.

Perfect, great idea! This way people could delete the pole later to fix the signs on their building walls, very flexible. cookie.gif

Mark
  • Mark

Jesus hates you.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:28 PM

Aye good idea. hmmm if you're wondering about the actual look of clutter, do it how they do in the UK, but say with a US touch - pale green or blue background signs maybe.

20 polygons for the 2 sorta pole bits, 4 for the sign

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (GTAuron @ Feb 3 2004, 12:28)
Aye good idea. hmmm if you're wondering about the actual look of clutter, do it how they do in the UK, but say with a US touch - pale green or blue background signs maybe.

20 polygons for the 2 sorta pole bits, 4 for the sign

The sign should have thickness and rounded corners. When you've got a few cars and 16 pedestrians onscreen all the time anyway, adding 50-100 polygons to the signs won't make a jot of difference. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users