Photo

[REL | v1.0] Traffic Signals & Street Lights

23 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:28 PM Edited by Cerbera, 21 July 2005 - 11:12 AM.

Street Light Add-on

Releases & Updates
10th of January, 2004 - full street lighting and traffic signals on all major and minor roads in Myriad, including specific lighting added to DieselGT's property and to the revised bridge to the smaller island.

11th of January, 2004 - lights, floodlights and bouy object data added for DieselGT's scrapyard and warehouse property. There are now 611 objects added in total by this mod!
  • (Out of date download removed.)
Services
  1. Adding any existing generic objects to your property, particularly street lights and navigation bouys for coastal properties.
  2. CULL data so areas will have no waste, no rain, or none of either.
  3. Learning to make bus stops, so feel free to request locations for them on your property by posting here.
  4. Special areas, such as seats and shop windows. These make people use the sitting animation (look along the Ocean View Hotel area) or stop and stare into shop windows.
  5. I can also add car/ped/boat paths for your property.
    You can view the ID numbers and in-game effect of the most common types of light by viewing this page. cool.gif
Screenshots
user posted image
1024 x 768

user posted image
1024 x 768

user posted image
1024 x 768

user posted image
1024 x 768

user posted image
1024 x 768

user posted image
1024 x 768

user posted image
1024 x 768

user posted image
1024 x 768

Now the streets of Myriad fit in with the brilliant lighting that Odie has done to his properties and tie the whole island together. The bridge looks simply amazing at night, especially from the point of view of a boat. I'll leave it to someone else to post a thumbnailed shot of that though. smile.gif

(EDIT) Fixed broken images for the nostalgia.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:31 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 11 January 2004 - 01:43 PM.

uh, nice work. But what if people don't want any street lights outside their property ? What if people want their lot to be a deserted area ? Is the entire illcom gonna become a posh and loaded place with lights all over the place with tons of skyscrapers ? I'm having a hard time seeing the fun in all this glorified commercial stuff. Too "stereotypish". I want half of illcom to be dark, ugly, scary, filled with gangs shooting up everything and with some residental areas destroyed by crime. Now it looks gay. Maby that is what people want. What the hell do I know.

DieselGT's scrapyard is lit up like a supermarket. blink.gif

Looks like ghettos are out. You can't have ghettos on the hilly islands, because it would make the consept of high class residental areas impossible. Only one island left. Are you gonna lit up that island too ? And the Fun World ? How many people didn't want it in Myriad ? And how hard did you work to get it in anyway ? Pink castles ? It will look gay enough without all these lights. I'm thinking about starting a campain against gay stuff in Myriad now. Sorry, it's just me. And maby some other people.

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:59 PM

The physical scrap yard itself with the floodlights was at my request. I get the feeling they might have them. Besides, it doesn't lighten it that much anyway. The rest of the lot is an industrial estate, so it would have lights - like it does here. Ghettos could be added between the skyscrapers, I think; if there isn't anywhere else for them.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:15 PM Edited by Cerbera, 21 January 2004 - 11:12 AM.

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Jan 11 2004, 13:31)
uh, nice work. But what if people don't want any street lights outside their property ? What if people want their lot to be a deserted area ? Is the entire illcom gonna become a posh and loaded place with lights all over the place with tons of skyscrapers ? I'm having a hard time seeing the fun in all this glorified commercial stuff. Too "stereotypish". I want half of illcom to be dark, ugly, scary, filled with gangs shooting up everything and with some residental areas destroyed by crime. Now it looks gay. Maby that is what people want. What the hell do I know.

DieselGT's scrapyard is lit up like a supermarket. blink.gif

Looks like ghettos are out. You can't have ghettos on the hilly islands, because it would make the consept of high class residental areas impossible. Only one island left. Are you gonna lit up that island too ? And the Fun World ? How many people didn't want it in Myriad ? And how hard did you work to get it in anyway ? Pink castles ? It will look gay enough without all these lights. I'm thinking about starting a campain against gay stuff in Myriad now. Sorry, it's just me. And maby some other people.

With respect Barton, it doesn't matter what either of us wants. The fact is that this is a commercial district, not an industrial slum. It's got a winding boulevard-style freeway running round it which would be built with good lighting whatever was around it. As for Diesel's yard, I know how those places are lit up because my dad works in places like that, I've worked out there with him a few times too. I also took some of my driving lessons in that sort of area so I do know how it should be. smile.gif

I havn't added any lighting to other properties because they have private owners who havn't contacted me yet. Streets are, however, state-owned and therefore have lighting built by the government to a set of standards regardless of where they are. I'm currently learning how to make street lights flicker so we can use those in any run-down areas to make them seem dysfunctional if need be.
I'm also learning how to set up the bus stops, so if people want one outside thier property they just need to ask here and suggest a couple of possible positions. I'll learn to add the shopping windows and sitting areas too, hopefully.
Wasn't it you who didn't any violence in Myriad and wanted to have tree-planting missions? You've certainly done something of a U-turn now! biggrin.gif

(EDIT) I will add lighting to other properties if the authors can discuss it with me over windows messanger. If they can't do that then they'll have to do it themselves, or just trust me like Ill did when I lit up the bridge. tounge.gif

_Mike_
  • _Mike_

in a 4G63

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:27 PM

Maybe I missed something, but how do I download?

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:34 PM

Good job Cerbera!

Just for remind that I do the lights for my properties myself!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:27 PM Edited by Cerbera, 21 January 2004 - 11:13 AM.

QUOTE (_Mike_ @ Jan 11 2004, 16:27)
Maybe I missed something, but how do I download?
LOL! Sorry about that, I totally forgot to add the actual address for the link. It's added now, check back for updates occasionally. I'll add if anything changes to the first post. smile.gif

chickenplucker
  • chickenplucker

Old school

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:44 PM

Looks great man! This really brings the city to life.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

Wow nice work Cerbera, the lights really liven up the place smile.gif

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:43 AM

Remember that this IS the commercial area, and I think the street lights fit it. If people don't want lights on/outside their property, they can ask for them to be removed.

Nice work Cerb.

JKidd
  • JKidd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:50 AM

i dont see a link to download it.

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:29 AM

I see the download and cerb these light are awesome. biggrin.gif Must have been alot of work. How many light to you place? >100?

JKidd
  • JKidd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:37 AM

is it download data files?

Hollower
  • Hollower

theomachist

• Members

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:14 AM

Rar is a compressed archive format like zip. You'll need something that can open rar files, like WinRAR

JKidd
  • JKidd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:23 AM

there is no cerblit folder in the archive in the readme it says to put it in the maps folder but its not there.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:25 PM

Excellent work Cerbera. I must say that I'm impressed, the bridge looks wonderful at night. This really ties the whole island together, I personally think that it gives Myriad more life. Wonderful work Cerbera.

mikehaze
  • mikehaze

Hugh Morris

• Members

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (JKidd @ Jan 12 2004, 06:23)
there is no cerblit folder in the archive in the readme it says to put it in the maps folder but its not there.

i have the same prob, where is this folder?

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (mikehaze @ Jan 13 2004, 23:05)
QUOTE (JKidd @ Jan 12 2004, 06:23)

i have the same prob, where is this folder?

use your logic sometimes!

insert_diesel.txt > you must insert to diesel's lot in data\maps\diesel\diesel.ipl
insert_NE.txt > you must insert to in data\maps\illcomNE\illcomNE.ipl

and ...

mikehaze
  • mikehaze

Hugh Morris

• Members

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:56 PM

oh, lol, thnx for making me look stupid... wink.gif

JKidd
  • JKidd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:06 AM

i knew that hehehe jk.I got a question is it possible to change when the orange light flashes when it rans to just have it change normally?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:38 AM Edited by Cerbera, 21 January 2004 - 11:14 AM.

QUOTE (JKidd @ Jan 14 2004, 08:06)
i knew that hehehe jk.I got a question is it possible to change when the orange light flashes when it rans to just have it change normally?

I'm pretty sure this is hard-coded and besides which it's totally authentic. smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments folks but thanks for reminding me about the outdated readme! I've updated it to be much clearer and it also contains the cullusion (cull) data for DieselGT's area, which removes rain from both the warehouses and the corridor you jump from. cool.gif

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:20 PM

When I was working on my install helper today, I thought it would be great if all the pedestrian paths and cull zones were included in the lots they are released with. Less bugs that way. Impossible to add cull zones to anything if they are already included somewhere else (like in a file somebody didn't get hold of). I don't know if this is possible though. confused.gif

Also, when somebody creates a lot and the entrance is blocked by a street light... it's easier to remove all of them than to dig through all of them trying to find the one blocking it all. Just some practical thoughts.

Redkiller
  • Redkiller

German Pride

• Members

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Jan 11 2004, 19:31)
Looks like ghettos are out.

My lot looks pretty ghetto. Its got a some factory type buildings, and some apartments, and an old sewer, and other junk. I'll be releasing a beta of it this weekend. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:01 AM Edited by Cerbera, 21 January 2004 - 11:14 AM.

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Jan 16 2004, 15:20)
When I was working on my install helper today, I thought it would be great if all the pedestrian paths and cull zones were included in the lots they are released with. Less bugs that way. Impossible to add cull zones to anything if they are already included somewhere else (like in a file somebody didn't get hold of). I don't know if this is possible though. confused.gif

Also, when somebody creates a lot and the entrance is blocked by a street light... it's easier to remove all of them than to dig through all of them trying to find the one blocking it all. Just some practical thoughts.

Thanks to MooMapper you can add or remove the lights just by navigating to the area, double-clicking the offending light and removing it. However, to ensure that everyone has the same lights I ask that anyone who finds my current street lighting interfeers with thier property should post here stating the problem, supplying a screenshot or two ideally. smile.gif

Cull zones are all included in "cull.IPL" and I only include an entry to be insterted into this file here because DieselGT is unlikely to make any update to his scrapyard soon/ever. You're right about the dangers of duplicate information though, which is why I would ideally want to work closely with whoever it is that decides what goes into the v0.05 release to prevent any problems.

Redkiller, does your lot require any special lighting on the street adjescent? Will it require traffic lights for it's entry? Get me on MSN if you have it, or I can just get the beta and see if there are any problems. If you do have MSN, we could discuss any lighting and cullzones you want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users