Photo

[WIP | SCR] Myriad Skateboard

23 replies to this topic
sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 10:56 PM

I thought I'd create a WIP topic for this. I mentioned it in the stunt topic.

Here's some pics:

user posted image

user posted image

I will be adding more board options, and will release a texture template, so you can make your own.

I'm having a problem though. When I put the files into the IMG, the bike I replace doesn't show up in game. But, when I put the original files back, it is still gone. Does anyone know why?

gtakiller
  • gtakiller

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:16 PM

hey looks great cool.gif are this grind king axes ? on my deck are grind kings smile.gif

sry for the bad english im german blush.gif

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:26 PM

No specific brand. smile.gif

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:38 PM

I think you should cut the polys a bit. 2k for what is essentially a plank of textured wood with wheels is a tad excessive... remember that the trucks are so small, they'll hardly be seen properly ingame.

Multi-skinnability is always good. I'm still in doubt about making it work properly ingame, though... I mean, the game just isn't suited to it.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:45 PM

We're pretty close to being able to change animations, so we could at least make it look right.

Polys are in the wheels as well as the trucks. I went lower, and it didn't look right.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:17 AM

2000 polys is about what the standard cars for Vice are, isn't it?

You could probably kill some of the detail, just by zooming out so the board takes up about half the viewport, and seeing if the extra polys show.

Good idea with the skin template.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:10 AM

You replaced a bike ? blink.gif

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:19 AM

Problem's fixed (I reinstalled), and I replaced the faggio, so nothing anyone will miss.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:05 AM

Really ? How about that paper boy mission ? Selling brain implants using a moped ? What vehicles in the game are more unique than the moped ? What can skateboards be used for anyway ? Skateboard missions ?

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:13 AM Edited by sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe, 11 January 2004 - 02:13 AM.

Use the pizza boy. I'll even mod it for you.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 11 2004, 03:13)
Use the pizza boy. I'll even mod it for you.

I forgot about the pizza boy moped. I guess you could make some skateboard missions too, but you gotta find a way of making it look and feel right. Jumping, doing tricks, stuff... would be kinda boring if not ?

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:25 AM

There's already a skate park planned, which means ramps, which means midair spinning. Grinding is just simple balancing mechanics. Beyond that we have board grabs, kickflip-type tricks, and some other little mech details. this will involve mission coding and some new animations (which if we badger/bribe the hackers enough we can find out how to make)

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 11 2004, 03:25)
There's already a skate park planned, which means ramps, which means midair spinning. Grinding is just simple balancing mechanics. Beyond that we have board grabs, kickflip-type tricks, and some other little mech details. this will involve mission coding and some new animations (which if we badger/bribe the hackers enough we can find out how to make)

How are you gonna create the new animations ? Are you gonna draw them up by hand ?

die Catalina die
  • die Catalina die

devil's advocate

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Jan 11 2004, 02:32)
QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 11 2004, 03:25)

How are you gonna create the new animations ? Are you gonna draw them up by hand ?

Hahaha! I agree with Barton there. This is mostly a daydreamer's thing. Sure, it's easy to say "baaah we'll get some hackers to do it" but it's another to actually execute it. I mean come on now.... board grabs? Kick flips? I think not. The only way we could get that is if some how miraculously a motion capture studio falls outta the sky, then we have to get a professional skater to do animations, then we have to translate this into max, then translate this into gta.

It aint happenin'... Wanna skate? Just get one a dem skater games and skate to your heart's delight.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:42 AM

The IPF format is already known, we just have to get the propper export tool, and then yes, we can keyframe them by hand, preferably using video overlays from any local skate punk volunteer. Hundreds of character animators work without motion capture. There was a time when it didn't exist. Heck, toy story never used it at all.

die Catalina die
  • die Catalina die

devil's advocate

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 11 2004, 02:42)
Heck, toy story never used it at all.

Yeah and you can tell... Toy story amazed people because they never really saw anything like it. But I guess your method could work. Hell, new animations would be damn awesome. Think of the new running, maybe a crouch/walk type animation for sneaky missions?

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:19 AM

We should limit it to the skateboard/vehicle stuff first (incase it does suck)

die Catalina die
  • die Catalina die

devil's advocate

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:21 AM

I guess you're right. Either way, it'll be an innovation. Btw, how's chang mongolian dojo lookin thingy goin'?

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:23 AM

Not bad. Few more things before I beta it.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:55 AM

Hmmm, interesting. If someone does figure out how to change the animations, it might be possible to add a couple of tricks. For instance, the lean back animation could be set to do a kickflip or something, so you'ld just hit down to do it. Maybe lengthen the animaion so if you hold down the down button, it does a liltle combo or something. Or if someone was using an analog pad, maybe gently tilting the stick would do a manual. Will surely be really tricky to do, and the game engine would never allow it to be super realistic, but it would still be kinda fun In any case, I agree, 2k polys for that is overkill. Looks good, but in the game you'll never really see it up close enough to appreciate.

Oh, and speaking of the Mongolian Grill, I just thought of something. Being that the real thing has thousands of rooms in it, how about placing the inside underground somewhere and loading it as a proper interior? Then you could have the inside be impossibly larger than the outside. wink.gif

BhaaL
  • BhaaL

GTAreactor.de

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:43 AM

Concerning IPF-Animations:
My friend Squidd is doing well with his new Program.

user posted image

That weird grey Cubes are Actually the Dummys of the Playermodel. He uses an .x-File as base, and then moves/rotates them as Hollower described in his Text about IPFs.

It's quite uncomplete, just the left arm works so far.
But whenever this works, editing is just a step away because you can see the changes. smile.gif

@sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe: Looks nice, but the Polycount is a bit high for a painted piece of wood wink.gif

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:25 PM

I think he would do better if he followed the IEEE standard for 32-bit floating-point numbers and followed some basic rules, like, never ever convert any type of floating point number into any other type of number in any way. Never do any calulations with any variables or numbers of a different type. Those numbers are really messed up. If they are saved like that, they will look different when reloaded, because they are all out of range.

Squidd
  • Squidd

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:58 PM

I don't know why, but i didn't take a look at the values yet. confused.gif

I'm reading in a 32bit float. The reason for these weired values, i don't know. But as BhaaL said, it's completly unfinished.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:20 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 11 January 2004 - 01:22 PM.

QUOTE (Squidd @ Jan 11 2004, 13:58)
I don't know why, but i didn't take a look at the values yet. confused.gif

I'm reading in a 32bit float. The reason for these weired values, i don't know. But as BhaaL said, it's completly unfinished.

Anyway, I had similar numbers with my first mission builder for VC.
Should be easy to fix if you look into it.
edit: And they could have been out of range to begin with. I have no idea really. whatsthat.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users