» «
Photo

The Stuntman's Guide to Myriad

33 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:09 PM Edited by Cerbera, 30 July 2004 - 08:33 AM.

The Stuntman's Guide to Myriad

As there are quite a few lots now available to be used in Myriad and most have good stunt oppotunities, I figured it was about time we started a thread to post stunt locations with replays and screenshots. smile.gif

I'll start off with a pretty straightfoward half-pipe style piece of land in Laziofreak's park:
user posted image
1024 x 768

I've uploaded a replay.rep (compressed in a RAR file because they are pretty big) which just catches me doing a pair of huge spins off it here.

Because there's bound to be stacks of bike stunts, here's the location that you can do killer flips form using a car. It's the "STeam and MUscle" sign outside Odie's "Skyline" property, right where you start:
user posted image
1024 x 768

You can get the compressed replay.rep here.

Those are just two of the dozens of stunt locations which I've found. Where have YOU been? smile.gif

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:24 PM

I had this idea earlier about two different types of stunt jumps. The standard unique stunt jump and a unique jackass stunt. One spot for a unique jackass stunt is outside the disco on Myriad Skyline. Take a bike up there, drive through the disco and outside. Drive north, and jump over the railing and land on the roof near the alternate exit on that other building. About 200 units down (more or less).

ViperKing
  • ViperKing

King of Vipers

• Members

Posted 07 January 2004 - 11:03 PM

i hope this one aint the same as yours barton, it dont sound so, but here goes:

get a bike (i used PCJ600), then drive up to the disco globe on odies skyline, then go outside on the roof, then left, left, (so if you drive forward the globe is parrellel with you, on your left), then (this bit is sorta 1\2 tricky) anyway, back up so ur back wheel is on the flower thing, then FLOOR IT so the globe is on your left.. and hit the end of the roof, and Tomy will fly off the bike and fly through the sky, landing (i managed) on the crown of the hotel! biggrin.gif
-Jackass\Superman stunt biggrin.gif

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 08 January 2004 - 02:26 AM Edited by JBandit, 09 January 2004 - 12:05 AM.

Pretty soon you will have my lot to stunt on:
http://jbandit.net/temp/skatepark.jpg
biggrin.gif
All models are scratch made by me and i used textures from wierdfish's skatepark. I modified some of them..

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:12 PM Edited by Cerbera, 08 January 2004 - 01:13 PM.

Bloody hell, the tree that wood came off must have been a mile wide! Look how spread out the grain is! cry.gif

Half- and quater-pipes are not that fulfulling to stunt on. You can't heave on the nose to accelerate your spin because it pushes you off the face and if you just hare up it normally you'll land on the lip. Was it you who made the half-pipe near Sunshine Autos? I've still got a replay.rep of how impossibly precise you have to be to use it. smile.gif

The spotlight that shines the "Candy Suxxx" logo onto that skyscraper as an enourmous fire escape stairwell down the East side, it's just inside of the sea wall. Features like that act as natural locations for enourmous grids which are far more rewarding than a half-pipe imho.

(EDIT) Could people just make a URL link if they can't be bothered to thumbnail thier images, please?

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:04 PM

Put some tickets sales boot on it and you got yourself a commercial lot. Maby you could move it to the Fun World island.

ODIE
  • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Jan 7 2004, 22:24)
I had this idea earlier about two different types of stunt jumps. The standard unique stunt jump and a unique jackass stunt. One spot for a unique jackass stunt is outside the disco on Myriad Skyline. Take a bike up there, drive through the disco and outside. Drive north, and jump over the railing and land on the roof near the alternate exit on that other building. About 200 units down (more or less).

exact 290 meters from top to bottom smile.gif

JBandit: Please no Skatepark´s or other non urban-stuff on the first island, please.... i wrote this about a thousend times (like others...)

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:35 PM

Actually, skateparks are about as urban as they come confused.gif

ODIE
  • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 08 January 2004 - 06:38 PM Edited by ODIE, 08 January 2004 - 08:32 PM.

but not build for cars smile.gif

Build it in the originla size of a real Skatepark and we can accept it as urban, so its only a Stunt-Park and the main island schould be free of Stunt-Park. Enough guys plans several small islands withs Stunt-Parks...

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:55 AM Edited by JBandit, 09 January 2004 - 04:48 AM.

@cerb: i roughly mapped the textures, so, i could test it. Right now my goal is to set everything up and to make it as much as possible. I didnt make the sunshine stuntset. That was pagnell..

@Odie: So, you want all of myriad to be just a bunch of office buildings? That seems boring. Lazio made his park, so, why couldnt a skatepark work. I live near Denver (the capitol of Colorado) and in Denver it has a large public outdoor skatepark.

Here is a little site on the park: http://www.denverskatepark.com/

I will try to keep it to as much realistic as possible. If you want i can make this than afterward i can make an "urban" building of some sort. Then people can pick and choose what they want on my lot. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie.gif

-EDIT-
Demarest, how did you get 5 stars?
nvm..

ODIE
  • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:27 AM

The Park looks correct in his dimensions... Iam not against a skatepark if it has the correct dimensions and is build for skaters, not for cars, cause thats definitv a Stunt-Park. Or can you go to the Skatepark outside Denver and take a ride with your car, iam sure not, they will put you into a mental home smile.gif Some things are really urban, like dogsh*t, but i wont see a 30 feet hight heap of it on myriad. We discussed that so often, that i really get tired about it.

We have many Bunkers here in Berlin, so they are really urban for me. They are built to protect us against british and american Airbombs, ok not actuell... in past. But Inkys bunker its a waste of space for a city (but it looks very good), its not massive enough for airbombs and if we didnt say anything against this f*cking crazy Bush, he wont drop bombs on myriad... or did someone gets some mass destruction weapons as gift from america, that meight be dangerous... dont take gifts from americas gouverment, they will bomb you for taking this a few years later smile.gif (see Afgahnistan, Iraque, Panama and more poor countrys... look at the last 50 years of history and you will see the real Vather of Terrorism - or read Stupid White Man !!)

back to topic:

A better idea then creating an alternativ object for this lot. Look for an alternativ location for the Stunt-Park, like Barton says, move it to funworld, there it would be funny.

Myriad is not only for officebuildings, but not much fantasy around here.... what about Cinemas, Bibliotheks, Theaters, Pharmacies, Shops, Arcade-Games-Hall, a Mall, maybe a circus at visit or a pedshop, some buildings for the gouverment and and and... so much possibillities, without the Racetracks, Stunt-Parks and other stuff that would be very funny for itself, but wont match into a city.

Sometimes i think, no one reads the ealyer posts from Barton, Illspirit, me and others about building sh*t on lots ?!?! But we can decide, what we download !!!

About the Stunts... build hidden stuntlocation, so we have something to explorer...

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:31 AM

Odie@ - Tommy Vercetti can drop boms on Myriad tounge.gif
Odie@ - I agree with you about urban style
JBandit@ - I agree with Odie
Jbandit@ - nice skatecar park but 2 big fo Myriad

ODIE
  • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:21 PM

hehe... youre right, i love the flying Bombs Mission and we should have a simular mission on Myriad.

To avoid missunderstandings about my post above: Iam not against america or american, only against most things that the Gouverment does and has done. But iam sure, many americans are against that things too.... I give a big THANX to america (and the allied) that they saved the western part of my city against sozialism for years.

Here some more suggestions:

a building for the Sercret Service of Myriad, a public indoor pool, a university or complete campus, a little redlightdistrict, a central bus terminal....

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (ODIE @ Jan 9 2004, 12:21)
a building for the Sercret Service of Myriad

Shhh! That was my idea! I was thinking, either have a mansion taken over by the Secret Service (so they have an 'on location' base), or have a proper big building. I think I'll do that second one, could be some fun missions come from there!

Also, I think if I have room I will build a small Biodome, like the Eden Project in the UK (also seen in James Bond film Die Another Day). I would be very fitting for a city, to try to preserve a spot of greenery in the middle of their commercial district, especially if this is set in the future a little bit or even now when pollution is a big problem...

user posted image

They work like giant greenhouses, makes it a tropical-climate inside no matter how cold it is or what the weather is like outside.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:18 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 09 January 2004 - 01:30 PM.

About that stunt-park / skate-park, most of the lots are pretty large aren't they ? How about putting buildings around it so it becomes a back yard ? That way you can't see it unless you go look for it and it will look much more realistic than just a park with lots of grass around it. I think back yards are very important gameplay wise, like the areas you created inside your belin demo ODIE. Areas like that could fit some small skate park easily. Stunt parks for cars would probably be better for the Fun World since they are larger.

DieselGT: I can't see a city in that picture. Can you ? Looks like the country side to me. I think something like that would fit in a new islands, maby to the east of illcom (some space left there). Since this is a "stunt" topic, could you make those buildings in such a way that you drive over them ? And jump ? notify.gif happy.gif notify.gif

edit again: Look at the size of those thingies, you need your own island to make room for all 5 of them. How about making a country-side island ? Just like that picture ? With those roads in the back ? I think all areas east of illcom are free for new islands.

ODIE
  • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Jan 9 2004, 13:18)
About that stunt-park / skate-park, most of the lots are pretty large aren't they ? How about putting buildings around it so it becomes a back yard ? That way you can't see it unless you go look for it and it will look much more realistic than just a park with lots of grass around it. I think back yards are very important gameplay wise, like the areas you created inside your belin demo ODIE. Areas like that could fit some small skate park easily. Stunt parks for cars would probably be better for the Fun World since they are larger.

this would be very acceptable.

I agree, backyards are cool, many places to explore, many edges to hide something or someone... i love backyards and i remember, ive grown up at backyards... our best places to hang around smile.gif

DieselGT: a botanical Garden is also a nice Idea... I remember the biosphere II but never heard about eden... looks great seems to be worth visited.

all others: no secret Service Building... bad Idea cool.gif

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:34 PM Edited by DieselGT, 09 January 2004 - 01:40 PM.

Barton: There may be no city around the real Eden but that's because it's just easier for them incase they need to expand or whatever.

I was just thinking though, if I make one, it will be very heavy on resources because it basically has a dense jungle inside... that means lots of alpha-plants and trees, and could make everything slow down alot. If I divided the inside up into many LODs with plants mounted onto them instead of using just the individual plants, might it help a bit? Is there any way I could use TWO LODs for an object? (so I have the normal high-poly object, one normal LOD with basic reduction and average distance (for objects further away when you are in the dome or just a bit outside of it), one even further away with no polys in so I could make the dome's LOD just static textured not able to be seen into). Hmm complicated.

Edit: ooh! Instead, how about a snowscape inside of the dome instead? The domes are designed to maintain temperature inside, so assuming they just put heat-repellant glass on the outside instead of the inside... I could have an ice palace instead, and Tommy could put on a big jacket and wooly hat when he goes in xmas.gif Would be lower in polycount.

In hindsight, the dome could be used to have any 'wierd' climate or location in the city whilst still fitting in properly - unfortunately my lot is not very large so I cannot do a big structure like a Sphinx or pyramid (but I think Steve M has that covered wink.gif ), so what do people think? Jungle, ice, desert...?

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:43 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 09 January 2004 - 02:45 PM.

I wonder how many bytes the GTA3.IMG file can hold before the game says NOOOO. notify.gif

edit: I don't think a new island would be a problem at all.

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Jan 9 2004, 06:18)

DieselGT: I can't see a city in that picture. Can you ? Looks like the country side to me. I think something like that would fit in a new islands, maby to the east of illcom (some space left there). Since this is a "stunt" topic, could you make those buildings in such a way that you drive over them ? And jump ? notify.gif happy.gif notify.gif

edit again: Look at the size of those thingies, you need your own island to make room for all 5 of them. How about making a country-side island ? Just like that picture ? With those roads in the back ? I think all areas east of illcom are free for new islands.

I like your idea barton. How about a small house with a beat down halfpipe in the back? If i do that, can i create a stunt park in funworld? What am i suppose to build on?

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:43 PM Edited by sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe, 09 January 2004 - 11:44 PM.

Here's an idea, can we turn the moped into a skateboard? If we want it bad enough we could change the animations, but otherwise we could just turn tommy sideways on it and use the reefer animation to make him stand. The sound is a simple enough change, and barton could set the submission key to ollie.

I might make one tonight.

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:49 PM

Switch's Skateboard

Switch made a skateboard. Found at http://gtagaming.com. I dont know about the animations, i dont think we can do those. We can make him always standing and rotate the axis of the dummies, maybe..

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:55 PM Edited by sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe, 09 January 2004 - 11:56 PM.

We wanted myriad to have all custom vehicles, but that still is cool.

I think they figured out partial animation stuff when they cracked the character modeling, and a little more prodding could solve that one.

I also have another way of making it look perfect through mission coding. I won't go into that unless Barton gets excited enough though.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jan 9 2004, 23:55)
We wanted myriad to have all custom vehicles, but that still is cool.

I think they figured out partial animation stuff when they cracked the character modeling, and a little more prodding could solve that one.

I also have another way of making it look perfect through mission coding. I won't go into that unless Barton gets excited enough though.

Are you kidding? With games like Tony Hawks 3 winning awards for the best game of 2003 with a lot of the gaming magazines there's clearly a real demand for it! tounge.gif

If the COL was made accuratly enough you'd even be able to do all the types of grinds using a similar technique to how you grind bikes on rails and you wouldn't need the ollie code. Would be great to have it, though. smile.gif

I'll probably try out that skateboard to see if I could make the effect more believable with the handling.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:29 PM Edited by sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe, 10 January 2004 - 06:28 PM.

ok, I have one question: Should we use a 2 wheeled vehicle or a 4 wheeled vehicle? 4 wheels would actually be closer to the real skateboard, and we could just make a soft suspension for the lean.

I modeled a skateboard last night. Pics here soon.

EDIT:

*old pic*

*another old pic*

308 polys.

Since the polys are so low, I may make nicer wheels/trucks.

EDIT Again:

user posted image

user posted image

In my opinion, it rocks. 2258 polys now.

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:47 PM

Looks nice. You make a line through the back of the board on top of it so we which side is the tail (most people do this). The base of the trucks need some work..

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:49 PM

I didn't want to spend too may polys on the trucks, and if you'd like to adjust the board appearance, I'll release the texture template, along with several deck designs.

Star_Enterprise
  • Star_Enterprise

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:14 PM

back to the skatepark: maybe build the skatepark on the roof of a office building or even beter
in a office building. thats my opinion

Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:18 AM

Hey guys check these two links out:

http://www.gtaforums...T&f=62&t=124097

http://www.gtaforums...T&f=98&t=123839

Star_Enterprise
  • Star_Enterprise

Snitch