Photo

Are You All Aware?

18 replies to this topic
UntouchableJ7
  • UntouchableJ7

Untouchable One

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:11 AM

Ok, not wanting to be flamed here so please behave responsibily and don't flame the messenger.

Are you all aware that there might be legal issues if this mod becomes public? I mean seriously public?

I popped in my "Jeepers Creepers 2" DVD and what did I see? The movie is produced by a movie company called "Myriad Films". They've had the company name copyrighted well before the thoughts of this mod dwelled into the founders minds. So are you aware of this?

I'm just trying to help you guys not get a lawsuit of anything of that matter.

- J

Redkiller
  • Redkiller

German Pride

• Members

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:15 AM

I couldn't give a f*ck. Its not like we're selling this mod or making any profits or anything. ph34r.gif

Posted under Redkillers account, cause im to lazy to log out.

-Decay

UntouchableJ7
  • UntouchableJ7

Untouchable One

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:17 AM

Well, okay. Just in case anything happens, don't say "Well I wish we we're aware of this."

All I came to do was to make sure you were all aware.

- J

Aztlan
  • Aztlan

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:22 AM

well i dont think is going to be a problem because ST.MU (i believed)
made a google searched and in real life islands with that name exists
and like Decay said, this team working on the mod is making it for free

Roach
  • Roach

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:28 AM

Even though a company has Myriad in it's name doesn't mean that they are copying that company.

If you look the definition up, it means: Constituting a very large, indefinite number. Or Composed of numerous diverse elements.

The makers made it that because of the size of the mod or the amount of people working on the mod.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:52 AM

This reminds me of when Spike Lee sued Spike TV for reportedly ripping off his name. What the egomaniac failed to recall is that spike is in fact an English word. Like Myriad. You can't copyright an English word. Not to the point that it could sue this team in any way.

crazydude
  • crazydude

Blah!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:55 AM

Didnt Rockstar games take "Vice" off of Miami Vice? they didnt get sued..... Well not about that. blush.gif

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 January 2004 - 10:10 AM

Why would we get sued?, The mods free and myriad is a word not a one place name, Hell we may have got the name from there. I'd like to know where the myriad name comes from.

Dalpura
  • Dalpura

• Members

Posted 04 January 2004 - 10:47 AM

Well I have considered this issue. There seems to be no problem, as long as this mod is not sold, you know, for cash.
About the Myriad Films. Do you know what myriad means? It means, as said in Oxford Dictionary, assorted items brought together. An appropriate name don't you think?

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 04 January 2004 - 11:34 AM

...and if they really have a copyright, then only on "Myriad Films", not on "Myriad Islands" or just myriad! No problem at all.

die Catalina die
  • die Catalina die

devil's advocate

• Members

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:08 PM

Ahhhh pfffft... Puhleaze.. why would we get sued for this? As many here said, myriad is a universal word. So if there was a film company named beautiful co. Would we get sued for making a mod called the beautiful mod? Besides, we're not making any profit at all.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:51 PM

Bah. F*ck a myriad films. They'd have about as good a chance at suing us as Hawaii would over the use of the word islands in the name. I suppose we shouldn't call this a map mod either so Rand McNally doesn't sue us? tounge2.gif

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:53 PM

Also, Illspirit's name has the words ill and spirit in it, so I guess he's going to be sued by pretty much every major disease and religion in the world.

Not to mention Oprah due to her "remembring your spirit" segment.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:02 PM

*caponster looks round to face a sawn off shot gun "you that capone kid copying my pa's name die bitch die!" this is about as stupid as it gets i mean maybe just maybe we could be sued if we had a mcdonalds where the workers joined a private army to destroy burger king but not for the word myriad...

UntouchableJ7
  • UntouchableJ7

Untouchable One

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:37 PM

Eh?

It seems as if some are you are pretty hostile towards me and or on the subject. Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up.

I just never heard myriad used in a sentence, if I had...I wouldn't have posted this.

- J

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:09 PM

To bring that and issue up again, I just noticed this text in the startup dialog of Max Payne 2:

Product names are the trademarks of their respective owners, and not of Rockstar Games, Inc., and are included for entertainment purposes only. No product, person or establishment appearing or mentioned in this game has endorsed this game or any of the actions described or displayed herein or is in any way associated with Rockstar Games, Inc.

What about changing "Rockstar Games, Inc." into "the Myriad Islands modding team" and "game" into "modification" and putting that text into the readme and loading screen, wouldn't this allow us to use trademarks without being sued?

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:08 AM

yea, and summin along the lines of any comapny names or slogans or people used in the modification are completely co-incidential etc etc as I'm sure someone will make a company with a name the same as a real life company.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (UntouchableJ7 @ Jan 5 2004, 17:37)
Eh?

It seems as if some are you are pretty hostile towards me and or on the subject. Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up.

I just never heard myriad used in a sentence, if I had...I wouldn't have posted this.

- J

Sorry man, didn't mean to come off as if being hostile to you. I dunno about everyone else, but I was just being hostile at the general thought of some company trying to sue. Even if we all think it's an absurd idea, you weren't wrong to post this. In reality, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if someone tried to sue us, considering how many other frivelous corporate lawsuits happen in America every day. Hell, even if it did happen, I'd be pointing and laughing at the plantiffs non-stop throughout the entire trial.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (ST.MU @ Feb 3 2004, 20:09)
To bring that and issue up again, I just noticed this text in the startup dialog of Max Payne 2:

Product names are the trademarks of their respective owners, and not of Rockstar Games, Inc., and are included for entertainment purposes only. No product, person or establishment appearing or mentioned in this game has endorsed this game or any of the actions described or displayed herein or is in any way associated with Rockstar Games, Inc.

What about changing "Rockstar Games, Inc." into "the Myriad Islands modding team" and "game" into "modification" and putting that text into the readme and loading screen, wouldn't this allow us to use trademarks without being sued?

I thought all the products and everything we used were just going to have comedy parody type names? smile.gif

Additionally, R* have always been somewhere between apathetic and pro-active in helping the modding scene so I don't think we'll have any problem from them so long as we don't start using this as a commercial product.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users