I haven't looked into the files enough to know why that happens. I do know that GTA3's train was hard-coded while VC didn't make such provisions. However I also know that RDTG was vehement about a working train and the mod DOES come with an EXE. Mayhaps he made some progress on it...
@Silent Viper: VC has less slots than GTA3 has weapons. So the fact that you can change slots in some instances doesn't help much at all.
I have an announcement to make. Both crazydude and Knux have PMed me expressing their desire to work with me on my GTA:LC project. They have both expressed to me dissatisfaction with the WO progression. While it was never my intention to disrupt any other efforts, I cannot speak for others. Nor can I afford to pass up any help. As you may already realize, Knux has made some terrific efforts in the community. Not only was he the one keeping the peace between WO and the public, but he has made some of the releases and is doing really good work on the paths. Because this project is brand new, I can't say for sure who's doing what, etc. I will say that I am going to see this project through and who knows; maybe we'll be the first ones to actually MAKE SOMETHING out of the LC files
Current team: Demarest, Knux, crazydude, and Krutchkov. Also, d8cam19 has expressed the desire to help out wherever possible. While I may be the coordinator of this effort, I would not consider myself the leader. I don't like telling people what to do and with the right team, I wouldn't have to. This is something I would do all by myself if that were realistic and if it could be done in a reasonable amount of time. But it can't. So my idea is to post what I noticed needs work. If somebody gets to it before I can, great. If not, I'll get to it when I can. I'm focusing primarily on the code, but the code will rely on other things being done too.
Current issues: 1) Many parts of the map pop in and out on a regular basis. This is particularly true of SSV. My guess is that it's because the engine has the entire city loaded at all times. If we could divide this up into 3 sections, I believe that a lot of that would be curbed.
2) VC's engine considers water differently than GTA3. As a result, splashes are displayed improperly and water spots appear on the camera at times it shouldn't these alphas will need blacked out.
3) The water isn't entirely accurate. This is especially true in areas near the coasts and where there's sudden altitude drops near a water level like at the dam.
4) Helis need to be able to go higher. I thought I read before that it was an attribute of the hadnling file. I tinkered with it a bit and couldn't seem to change anything.
5) Glass needs to be breakable.
6) MANY items that are 2D are only showing up on one side. I've read this is an easy fix, but will take time just trying to identify which ones need attention. Seems like I'm finding new ones all the time.
7) The GXT needs to be transplanted. Krutchkov has expressed an interest in doing this. If you know of certain entries that need to stay because they are zone names, car names, etc, please let him know.
8) The cast of characters needs to be assembled. As of right now, editing/making VC models is not possible. Therefore, we're going to need somebody to select models from VC that closely match GTA3 characters in build. We're also then going to need somebody to skin them to look as much like their GTA3 counterparts as possible.
9) The cars need to be pooled. I don't know what all cars come with the LC IMG file. But that needs to be taken care of so that we have all of GTA3's cars. Likewise, VC's files are going to need to be edited to neglect those that are not in GTA3.
That should be plenty for now. Anybody that can help is invited to do so. Anybody can think of anything else that needs attention, by all means post it. If you'd like to become part of this effort, just let me know. As the last 48 hours have proven (as well as my heavy eyes right now), I'm very dedicated to this. I have obligations in my life, but apart from that, my efforts will be here. Thanks to all for all your help!