Quantcast

» «
Photo

[Official] PPT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5,946 replies to this topic
locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:59 AM Edited by locO G, 08 May 2006 - 05:09 AM.

WIP for illcom_c3_r9

user posted image

I've got just a few textures to work on (such as 'the worlds smallest') and an invisible C.of.D and I'm ready for release.

Here are some choice pics.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Notes of interests in order of pic...

1. I hope that they don't sue.
2. Nice shot of JasonB's Megaplex in the background.
3. Shows off the .LODs for illcomNW (ilcom_c1_r1, AleXXX's skyscraper, and Crans, soon to be released, lot)
'Hey shucks, don't they look perdy'.
4. A pun too far?
5. Ditto (I'm a vegan and have been for twenty years).

It shouldn't take me too long to iron out this lot, unless anyone picks me up on something.
Is there any merit in releasing beta versions of ones lot?

I do have one question...

Is the game engine more sympathetic towards high poly count, or .TXD file size?

My .TXD files are edging towards 3meg per lot (not good)?

Should I, in future, use a higher definition model and smaller textures, or vice versa?

None of this will show itself, in game, until there are more lots installed...
Imagine arriving at a point, in game, where two lots, both with high poly count and/or .TXD size, had to load at once.
My PC is just barely spec. to run GTA-SA, (NVidia P.O.S. 400), so if any problems did arise, I'd be one of the first to realise.

PS. Has anyone worked out SA ped paths. I want to 'test drive' this lot through a populated area.
I've tried and failed using 3dsMax path export, several times, and JGunther's Path Editor, which I found totally unfathomable. It seemed so easy in VC.

PPS. Sorry for waffling on in the PPT topic, but nobody from MI replies to the 'Pinned: FAQ and Help topic', (even if it's to say "I don't know") except (relative) noobs like myself (who can only give received wisdom from the likes of...(your name goes here)) and people who've left (Gforce).
I think that we really do need a pinned 'do this/don't do this' guide for MI. It would save all of us all a lot of time in the long run.
In the 'X' weeks I've been an active member of this community, I've received no end of help from people who've had the same problem, prior to me, and solved it, I would say that all this knowledge was worthy of a post unto itself. Waffle over.

user posted image

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:59 AM

Fantastic work locO, that lot is downright awesome. It looks great and should be a fun location. Nice work.

Is the game engine more sympathetic towards high poly count, or .TXD file size?

My .TXD files are edging towards 3meg per lot (not good)?

Should I, in future, use a higher definition model and smaller textures, or vice versa?

Where possible (i.e. where it doesn't compromise the quality of the texture much) resize it. However, a lot of lots have TXD dictionaries that are smaller then yours, so hopefully it will all balance out.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (locO G @ May 8 2006, 05:59)

It's usually better to keep the models as low-poly as possible and put all details on the textures instead. But still, try to keep them as small as possible and don't forget to compress them.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

Damn loco, that's pretty damn nice!

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:14 PM Edited by aad, 08 May 2006 - 07:16 PM.

Some crappy updates from me again this time some stuff ingame and almost ready to release but dont expect it within a few days stupid school is sucking up my free time that i normally spend on moding gta.

user posted image

user posted image

Some land editing still to do and maybe some retexturing but the overall view of all my buildings placed on such a small lot gives me a great feeling and that i really do mean something to this community but it sometimes seams that i am the only GTI member left who is really showing of some work. So I hope this will change in time. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

Very nice looking lot. Great detail over the windows.
...but dont expect it within a few days...

It's done when it's done. You'll probably release it before a lot of other people release theirs.
It's strange how we all seem to have other things to do with our lives other than mod for MA.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:56 PM Edited by locO G, 08 May 2006 - 07:59 PM.

Sorry for the double post.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

Hey aad, could you send me that white fence texture, I need it for a lot. In a traga with the alpha if possible. Looks good.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (Cran. @ May 8 2006, 22:49)
Hey aad, could you send me that white fence texture, I need it for a lot. In a traga with the alpha if possible. Looks good.

Hey Cran, what's your next lot idea? I liked aad's fence texture too.

Let's face it, re. illcom, there's not much left to choose from.
Roll on the north islands

Keep on keeping on.

PS: If it's in .TGA format, you get an alpha map (hence 32bit)

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (locO G @ May 9 2006, 12:04)
QUOTE (Cran. @ May 8 2006, 22:49)

Hey Cran, what's your next lot idea? I liked aad's fence texture too.

Let's face it, re. illcom, there's not much left to choose from.
Roll on the north islands

Keep on keeping on.

PS: If it's in .TGA format, you get an alpha map (hence 32bit)

It's not a idea, it's almost finished wink.gif

Video store with apartment complex. I just need that texture, then I can texture that and copy that one side I have, since it's alot easier.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

Yet again, if you need any help getting it in game, I'm your man.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:20 AM

That's what I was thinking wink.gif

I'll show a quick screen of my lot so far in a bit.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:47 AM

user posted image

Eh? Should be done soon.

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:43 PM

I restart my illcom c1 r11 with skechtup, I thing now is more best...

user posted image

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:02 AM

@Cran: Looks good, but I think you should make that little video store there a bit bigger, and can you please get a different roof texture, that one brings tears to my eyes (not really, but it is still pretty fugly, no roof is that bad)

@Jost_Vice:
I'm not too sure about that, all the buildings look too small and everything looks like it was just thrown on at random confused.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

Might scale the store to make it longer, but that's about it. Give me a decent roof texture then tounge.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:29 AM

Yes yes, double post blah blah...

Just have to sort out some of the normals on the apartment building, then get it ingame and place some generics, and then done. Oh, then a lod, but yeah! biggrin.gif

user posted image

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

Looks nice in overall but like i said on MSN some garage boxes would be nice and i will look into my files if i still have my generic garage boxes since those are really handy to fill up a lot and make it look better and more crowded get the idea. i also have been working on something small still a bit in WIP fase but it will be done around next week i first got some important things to do myself like a driver license exam and that stuff so i really hope that i will pass for that.

user posted image

Only the top needs to get textured and i need to take a look on what i will do with the roof maybe it will have some special stuff on it. happy.gif happy.gif

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Cran. Nice tower. I'll expect a PM from you in a few days.

aad. Again nice work. Good luck with the driving test.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

Thanx Loco tounge.gif and i already textured some more bits that i will show tommorow the top will be the same as the bottom and i will add some other small details on the roof like a fire exit and stuff just 4 fun but for now its time to go to bed:p just wanted to look at the reactions. smile.gif

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

Great. I too may have some WIP pics, in the next few days, of what I've been doing over on illRES.
The grotty, run-down side of Myriad.

It'll be quite some time before any release though, as I've picked a lot where the train track runs straight through the middle (illRES_SE_10), and we've all got to wait until the guys, (JasonB, Cerbera and co), have finished their work. before any hope of a Dev-kit and propper IDE numbers. At the moment I'm using unused ones from illcom.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (aad @ May 15 2006, 03:29)
Looks nice in overall but like i said on MSN some garage boxes would be nice and i will look into my files if i still have my generic garage boxes since those are really handy to fill up a lot and make it look better and more crowded get the idea. i also have been working on something small still a bit in WIP fase but it will be done around next week i first got some important things to do myself like a driver license exam and that stuff so i really hope that i will pass for that.

user posted image

Only the top needs to get textured and i need to take a look on what i will do with the roof maybe it will have some special stuff on it. happy.gif happy.gif

Yeah, i've started that, and it should be done by tonight.

@loco G expect a PM in 1-2 days, Vice city DFF be fine?

Oh, and BTW I installed your lots, and they are magnificent! Make mine look like poop sad.gif

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:17 PM Edited by locO G, 14 May 2006 - 11:27 PM.

Cran
loco G expect a PM in 1-2 days

I'll look forward to it, honestly, anything I can do.
VC .DFF or .3ds. Whichever one doesn't truncate the texture names. It would save me having to rename them, or just keep your texture filenames to the '8.3' format.
If you could send all the textures in a compressed .TXD, that would be good too.

Do you test your lots in VC at all?
It might be an good idea, just to make sure that everything works prior to conversion. It might save time in the long run.

PS: Jost_Vice's generic object placements on your lot look nice.
The only bad thing is the mad pile-up of cars which constantly crash through everthing (roll on SA path import/export).

Open offer: When anyone writes '3dsMax SA path import/export' scripts for MI, if it works on a 'spline-to-path basis', or something similar in complexity, I'd be prepared to do all the donkey work and convert everything and keep it updated.
Gforce has put a lot of the buildings in, now we need the people.

Open offer No.2: If anyone else needs their lots converting to SA, just PM me the link to download the files.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:51 AM Edited by aad, 15 May 2006 - 08:09 AM.

QUOTE (Cran. @ May 14 2006, 22:32)
Oh, and BTW I installed your lots, and they are magnificent! Make mine look like poop sad.gif

Cran you just need to learn to look at existing city's and other buildings and see how the surrounding buildings are located that is how i builded mine lots to they are crowded but there is still enough room to explore the buildings and see the details. And also nice textures give an good view of detailed buildings so just try to find some good textures and some good inspiration. And when this building is done my lot is finished and i will start working on the rest of the GTI downtown piece currently 50% done when i fill it up with my old work. sarcasm.gif

Edit: finished of some more texture work i also added some ventilation shafts for fun tounge.gif maybe some 2dfx smoke at the side and give that gta3 feelling tounge.gif

user posted image

I will add some other details to like fences and i will add some plants on the roof balconie's currently i didnt added doors there but u will see what will happen with the top when its done. And again when i concentrate on modding my buildings will be done way faster then when im doing my homework and modding at the same time happy.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

user posted image
user posted image

Yeah, script it later so you can buy an apartment there, and also make it a possible mission befing place. Have cutscenes on the rear big boucany. Add some trees there and all on that big boucany.

Script a garage there too, should fit 2-3 cars.

But wait, there's more!

Script a interior for the video shop, maybe modify a 24-7 one and make it video shop like, and place those babies all over myriad!

DVD Directory > *

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

Whoohoo Cran finnaly filling up the space tounge.gif nice looking garage man and uhm what about the other space thats still open maybe some generic plant boxes with some bushes and trees in them.

something like.

user posted image

Good luck tounge.gif this is really worth it this time so hope you get the idea of not only putting 1 building on 1 lot try to make it worth it and just waste the space with buildings then instead not using it happy.gif happy.gif happy.gif I like wasting space and build everything full of buildings. Just good work cran you are getting better.

wauzie
  • wauzie

GTI + MI

• Members

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:36 AM

I see some nice buildings over here smile.gif . Keep up the good work guys!

Decay
  • Decay

Blind Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:25 AM

Modeling is getting better around here..

I'll make up some models soon, when my good pc is back up, however I'm not going to get them in game, I'll give them away to whomever, but lets give it some time.

locO G
  • locO G

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:05 AM Edited by locO G, 17 May 2006 - 02:09 AM.

QUOTE (Decay @ May 17 2006, 01:25)
Modeling is getting better around here..

I'll make up some models soon, when my good pc is back up, however I'm not going to get them in game, I'll give them away to whomever, but lets give it some time.

Not too much time I hope.
Gforce's latest release has managed to inject our community with a little enthusiasm, lets keep it up
Off topic. Cran: Sod the pre lighting, release your lot (come on you know you want to) I'm waiting with the screen shots).

Decay, if you come up with something, I'd be only glad enough to get it in game for you somewhere.

The more we do, the more we do.

Best wishes.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:58 AM Edited by Cran., 17 May 2006 - 08:45 AM.

Ok then! I'll write up a readme and get it out to the masses! smile.gif

EDIT: Topic up, quick screen.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users