» «
Photo

"gun runner" tough? thoughts?

12 replies to this topic
Cartoon Corpse
  • Cartoon Corpse

Cartoon Corp

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2003 - 01:35 PM Edited by Cartoon Corpse, 06 November 2003 - 02:39 PM.

i had to use a rhino (went to hyman condos to get it, attacked northern group first) to finish "gun runner". those little scooter guys were numerous and nasty (uzis?), i thought. even pulled me out of my rhino. anyway 3 trys to win (2 losses the night before that as well). had to make sure i squashed all waves of scooters before i got out to retrieve weapons from second attack.

then: "cap collector"...1st try. woohoo. i just waited at sunshine, wacked em with mini as they showed up. (may be cheating, cause i read that somewhere a while back)

then: "publicity tour"...1st try last night (about 10 overall). for some reason, i kept skidding into a position that cost too much speed. finally took immediate left (road to north bridge), 1st right (south), left at starfish bridge, headed to malibu club(figured once i got past malibu, the straight shot to mall would eat up the rest of defuse time)...but traffic forced me to left shoulder (spinning out again)..."Bomb diffused" just as that happen. oh and i tapped the 'w' as slowly as it would let me, but had to take corners full blast.

then: "keep you friends close". (3 tries! woohoo, i was thinking this would be a toughy. well maybe i cheated. up to that point, i had an infinite ammo minigun (had retreived over 10,000 rounds...goes infinite i found out). I'd gotten pretty good with it. anyway didn't realize i lost it in the 'gun runner' mission (i think). I tried the mission a couple times with the other guns...got killed. so i decided i needed my minigun. took a maverick and shuttled back and forth from ocean view (base) and mansion (base) until i had 10K rounds again (20 trips...at least there's a radio). fired up the mission, and wacked em all (after the mission, i suddenly realized i only had 3 health points left!...close one)...anyway got the closing credits...im at 51% now. i thought i wouldn't be doing 'keep your friends' till way later (higher completion %).

even tried 'cone crazy' for first time.. need to read up on that one. after hitting 1st target, i had 7 seconds to finish? hmm.

anyway, i'd like to hear any other strategies you've used. As you know, sometimes there's a trick approach that makes missons easier, sometimes luck too (i got lucky a time or two)) you folks tried to get through this (or any other interesting missions).

i think next time i play i may keep a save copy (if i can) cued up to each mission, so i can try different stuff when im in the mood. course i still have a long way to go in this one though.

oh one more thing. i saw a (package gta3 vice for xbox) commercial on Fx channel right after i finished playing last night. kinda neat. haven't scene one b4.

Samutz
  • Samutz

if ($lol) { die(rofl()); }

• Members

Posted 06 November 2003 - 05:02 PM

Gunrunner: Only took one try. I took Phil's patriot and went after the one along the main road near the water. I knocked the boxes off and they broke themselves with all the running around. Then I shot the guards on top of the trucks with an uzi out of the patriots window. After that, I ran up a nearby flight of stairs (wide ones that face the road). And blew up the trucks with the minigun. And I stayed up there to shoot out the backup on faggios. Then I hopped back into the patriot and did the same with the other 2 trucks. Except I used to flight of stairs inftont of ammunation.

Cap the Collector: Not hard at all. Only takes one try. Grab a fast car like a cheetah and ram into them. If they get up, run them over. They usually only get to the boatyard by the time I reach the first 2. After that, they never make it to any of my assets.

Publicity Tour: I make a sharp left straight from the begining and head down the road that leads the prawn island. It's a nice wide road so traffic is easy to dodge. By the time you reach the turn at North Point Mall, they'll have the bomb defused. Then just u-turn and head back to the concert.

Keep Your Friends Close: Only took 1 try. I made sure to stock up on m4 and minigun ammo, 150 head and armor, and fast reload before I started this.
When the mission starts, I crouch behind the table near the safe and kill mafia men until it tells me to go after Lance. Then I make my way to the roof, killing as I go. At the roof, I run behind the stack of barrels, take out the goons, and blast lance in the head with the minigun. Then I head back down to Sonny, and do the same there except I hide behind the office chair or table.
By the time it was over, I had about 25 armor and 150 health.

The Ultimate Soldier
  • The Ultimate Soldier

Da Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:11 PM

I thought it was pretty easy. use the guns .. blow up things and you'll be cool biggrin.gif

Cartoon Corpse
  • Cartoon Corpse

Cartoon Corp

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:44 PM

i usually try that approach first (to see what's what) and get killed...

the-axis
  • the-axis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2003 - 11:59 AM

Gunrunner: Get equiped with a bunch of Molotov Cocktails before accepting the mission. Jump in the Patriot and drive straight out to the main road which runs north to south. Head a little bit south 'til you see the yellow blip "on" the radar screen. Stop the Patriot and get out. Toss a couple Molotov coctails in the path of the Waltons and jump back in the Patriot...Head north and pass the two other Waltons just past the police department. Stop at the Corner by Ammunation and jump out. toss a couple more Molotov cocktails at these two Waltons. Don't collect the weapons...jump in a Walton and drive it to your garage at Hyman Condo. Go back and get all three of the other Waltons and park them in the garage with the first. Now go collect the weapons. Start with the ones on the main drag south and head north to the other two in front of Ammunation. By now some guys are after you on mopeds...ignore them and head to Hyman Condo. Open the door to the garage with the Waltons in it and shoot at one of them 'til it catches fire...Watch them all blow up and then let the door close...Mission complete plus you've got all of the four Silver Waltons that exist.

Cap the Collector: If you have gotten 100 packages use the Hunter. If not use the Hotring racer...Head south because they are probably going to the boatyard or the auto sales...Driveby shooting works for me but you may prefer running their asses down while they are off the bike...

Publicity Tour: I head south and turn left at the record store. I go straight through the intersection and down toward the Skumole Shack. At Skumole Shack corner I drive straight across the road and into the grassy area before pulling a right. Follow the grass 'til you come to the place where the four lane highway begins. Get back on the road...it's plenty wide and the bomb is defused by the time you get to the docks...Don't drive as fast as you can...just drive as fast as you have to to maintain stability of the bomb. If the meter starts to rise step on the gas for a couple seconds and it will drop back down.

Keep Your Friends Close: Run down to the room on first level where there's ammo for your python and armor and health. Stand near the door and let some guys run up and start robbing the safe...Run up the stairs and kill them and turn back to the main stairway...Cut scene with Lance...Chase Lance up the stairs firing one shot from your Python each corner you go around...If you get to the roof exit in good shape follow him onto the roof. If you need health and armor run to the basement and get it before going onto the roof. Once on the roof turn left and run for the Adrenaline Capsule. Once you have it duck down behind the boxes and pull out your sniper rifle. Stand up and aim for Lances head..."you picked the wrong side Lance". Now kill everyone else on the roof and get some health or armor if you need it...Now head back up to the equiped with the Python again. Kill all the guys in you way and when you get to the top of the stairs...Cut scene with Sonny...As soon as you gain control of your character duck and pull out the sniper rifle again. He can't hit you but you can put a big ole hole where his head used to be...I have gotten through this unharmed once but only once...usually I'm above 100 armor and I have 150 health.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:14 PM

I don't remember how I did the other ones but

Keep your friends close-- (the ez way)

Shoot goons as they enter the office with your Colt Python-- when Lance calls you out, equip your hand dandy rocket launcher-- go out and shoot him across the open area--kills Lance in one shot. Go up to the roof and back down to get the second part to come up.

Second part-- go downstairs and out the back door, go around to the front of the building and blow up the limos parked out front with rocket launcher, go up on the front steps, fire several rockets in the front door. Enter the Mansion--end cutscene starts.

I have a saved game at this mission and am working on killing Lance with different weapons-- so far-- Rocket launcher, M60, Sea Skimmer mini gun, Colt Python, M4, Grenades, PSG1 sniper rifle.

Cartoon Corpse
  • Cartoon Corpse

Cartoon Corp

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 November 2003 - 05:52 PM Edited by Cartoon Corpse, 09 November 2003 - 06:48 PM.

that's similar to the strategy i used to wack Diaz (went to roof and blew up limos out front (to stop the endless goon stream).

i lucked out and got Lance at the first corner (of the hall he runs down)...with my mini, so i didn't have to chase him to roof on my successful attempt).

your strategy sounds really good. I try to come up with minimal impact twists too, sometimes,though, nothing comes to mind, and i just go head on.

*edit* Thanks the-axis for you detailed response! interesting too! (i initially missed your post when checking) on the "gun runner' mission. are you saying you never collect the weapons? just the trucks and then blow them up in your hyman garage? unusual. how'd you come up with that one? a true hacker i guess.

Lawley
  • Lawley

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2003 - 06:33 PM

i can only remeber cap the collector because i never actualy had too kill the guys on the bikes because they killed themselves before i got to them (prolly scared sh*tless tounge.gif )

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 09 November 2003 - 09:24 PM

Interesting how many people favor the minigun. Of course it's powerful, but I've only used it on vehicles, not humans in missions.

A shot to the head with an M4 does the same thing, with mouseaim of course.

The Ultimate Soldier
  • The Ultimate Soldier

Da Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 November 2003 - 10:13 PM

I like the mini gun too. You can blow up things really easy biggrin.gif

the-axis
  • the-axis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Cartoon Corpse @ Nov 9 2003, 17:52)
*edit* Thanks the-axis for you detailed response! interesting too! (i initially missed your post when checking) on the "gun runner' mission. are you saying you never collect the weapons? just the trucks and then blow them up in your hyman garage? unusual. how'd you come up with that one? a true hacker i guess.

You do collect the weapons after getting all four trucks together in the big garage at Hyman Condo. You put the trucks there to collect at least one of them because they're unique to this mission. Also after you collect the weapons it's handy to have all the trucks in one place to destroy...

I favor the Rocket Launcher...'cause it's nice to have one when the Police Helicopter gets after you...Plus a couple Rockets will take Sonny out even faster than the sniper rifle...I like to use the Sniper Rifle on people when I can. A headshot is always a kill except in this mission. I think Sonny can take 3 shots to the head but I'm usually on my fifth or sixth shot before the Mission Complete notice pops up.

the-axis
  • the-axis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Nov 8 2003, 13:14)
I have a saved game at this mission and am working on killing Lance with different weapons-- so far-- Rocket launcher, M60, Sea Skimmer mini gun, Colt Python, M4, Grenades, PSG1 sniper rifle.

I don't know if it will work for Lance but I've killed Sonny by pushing a car through the front door and entering through the back after killing Lance and blowing up the Limos. I simply flew the maverick off the roof and landed on the front lawn, shot a couple guys and then pulled out the Rocket Launcher. After blowing up the Limos I switched back to the Python and jumped in the Infernus. Try to run over the guy at the top of the stairs and park right in front of the door facing in. then jump out and run behind the car and "push" it through the door enough that the drivers door is completely inside. Then run around back killing anyone in your path and go straight to the front door where you'll see the infernus waiting for you. Jump in and drive it up the stairs...Durring the cut scene the infernus isn't shown but you can hear the radio...When you gain control again the you are in the Infernus and it is turned, facing directly at Sonny...Floor it and you should clear the doorway before the Mission Completed message comes up. It's funny watching him bounce off the hood...The mission ends and you see the scene where Tommy is at the stairs and Ken comes in all freaked out...then after the credits you find yourself back in the Infernus on the front porch...Good fun...*lol*

As for Lance...I've killed him with a PSG1, M4, M5, Spaz Shotgun, Colt Python, Grenades, Smoke Bombs, Molotov Cocktails, Rocket Launcher, Sea Sparrow (mini-gun), Hunter (Rockets), Maverick (He shot it into flames and I bailed out over his head...it exploded and killed everyone on the roof but me *lol*)...I'd like to take him out sometime with a nightstick or a chainsaw or the funniest would probably be a screwdriver..."SCREW YOU LANCE!!!"...*lol*

Cartoon Corpse
  • Cartoon Corpse

Cartoon Corp

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:26 PM

you guys make me wish i had strategically saved games (to replay missions)...oh well, good goal for next time around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users