Photo

[REL | BETA] Big Empty City, part 1

830 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2003 - 09:42 PM Edited by Cerbera, 30 October 2003 - 10:23 PM.

Oh, when I said people reserve DFF names, I meant the existing names so that no-one else builds on that piece of land! tounge.gif

I've figured out paths.ipl for peds, it's laughably simple really. Best of all, it allows commenting and I've devised a convention for doing the ped paths which means I'll be able to link them all up no probs as they all start and end at junctions, taking up however many batchs of nodes it requires to get round the wiggles.

After one and a half hours, doing just the outside footpath clockwise around the freeway, I've gotten from Junction A to Junction E on my roughly hewn plan for making:
user posted image
200% image

(EDIT) I've jogged right the way from junction E to A (you start just west of junction E, btw) and the peds traverse the nodes that will be used as junctions without problems. It's a totally continuous route despite being split up into batches.
You'll find that regardless of how you travel there will always try to be about a dozen peds on screen at any one time. Here's the start, at Junction A:
user posted image
200% image

Download Curret Paths.IPL - includes the comments, which relate to the working plan thingy.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:53 AM

Fantastic work, Cerbera! I assume you posted your findings in the paths thread?
Demarest goes to check out paths thread

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Oct 28 2003, 01:53)
Fantastic work, Cerbera! I assume you posted your findings in the paths thread?
Demarest goes to check out paths thread

Oh, I havn't actually, I'll do that now. I'll finish this outer ped path today easily, so should be able to start poking around with car paths as well.

Dom0803
  • Dom0803

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 October 2003 - 11:30 AM

Excellent. I have two buldings ready made, a Tower which could be a car showroom, or a random bulding, also a car showroom. Perhaps an industrial estate for these?

The Ultimate Soldier
  • The Ultimate Soldier

Da Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:23 AM

Sweet. This palce would be a nice place to live in real life .. let alone Vice City tounge.gif

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 29 October 2003 - 04:09 PM

Damn ill, this will be so f*cking sweet. What you should have is in the middle, place a giant ass ramp. Awsome. tounge.gif

Keep it up rah.gif

kman2003ko
  • kman2003ko

A learning decoder and a programmer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:21 PM Edited by kman2003ko, 30 October 2003 - 12:22 PM.

Hmm that project reminders me did someone ever figure out the paths? I had not been around to much lately.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (kman2003ko @ Oct 30 2003, 13:21)
Hmm that project reminders me did someone ever figure out the paths? I had not been around to much lately.

Check the pinned topic in Editing Discussion. I've not quite worked out how to join them up perfectly, although there's only a couple of places where they are going wrong for me.

alvinkanarbik
  • alvinkanarbik

• Members

Posted 30 October 2003 - 06:30 PM

I don't know if you need this but i fixed the radar up for you (quickly)

Before

user posted image

After

user posted image

It doesn't look good with the forums' colour theme. I didn't know what size to make it so just tell me, I can resize. If you don't like it, that's okay. BTW, I can add buildings and stuff later.Thanks anyway!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:25 PM Edited by Cerbera, 30 October 2003 - 10:26 PM.

The radar works by using a set of 64 seperate textures, that path map isn't the radar texture.

Download Crappy Radar - use "ViceTXD" to extract the textures as Bitmaps. Reason I called it a crappy one is because I just roughly sliced up the promo pic rather than tried to get everything lined up correctly. And I missed out a texture for the north-west.
It's easy as pie to do radar mods, so have a stab. Don't use colours that are quite so overpowering, though. Pastels always suit the Vice environment. smile.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 October 2003 - 06:57 AM

Or you could just make the alphas light grey to tone down how brightly it shows. One of the many things I prefer about GTA3 is the translucent radar.

rackellar
  • rackellar

ViceIsNice

• Members

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:01 AM

GREAT work Illspirit!! You never cease to amaze me! rahkstar.gif .Anyhoo, i was going to say somebody should create a zone map or something to show where areas are going to be and whats needed then everybody could pitch in and build the objects required for the different zones.

Just an idea but it would definately make things alot more organised.

eg. Residential Zone, highlighted Green on the map

Industry - Yellow

Commercial - Blue (A bit like simcity lol)

Tourist areas etc, eg beach, boulevard etc etc wink.gif

*--Rackellar--*

SeBsZ
  • SeBsZ

Beep

• Members

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:36 AM

HI,

in this cool map I only see 10 lots, instead of 99. I know that in some proggy like 3dsmax you see them all, but I don't use max. How would I be able to see all 99 lots, so that I know where to build?

Thanks

SeBsZ

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:20 PM Edited by illspirit, 02 November 2003 - 10:22 AM.

QUOTE (SeBsZ @ Oct 31 2003, 07:36)
in this cool map I only see 10 lots, instead of 99. I know that in some proggy like 3dsmax you see them all, but I don't use max. How would I be able to see all 99 lots, so that I know where to build?

Well, the easiest way to find the lots would be to open it up in MooMapper, turn on the 'second display', scroll through the ipl list, and double click the pieces to select and show them in the second window. Then just take note of the piece's name, and open/import it into a modeller.

Anyhow, I've just realised there's a slight problem with the col files. It seems that when exported, the faces got flipped, which results in lights and shadows not showing up on the top sides. I'll update the base col file with properly flipped faces ASAP, but in the meantime, be sure to flip the faces around if you decide to develop a plot now.

I'll also see about making a more mappy looking radar (thanks to, and using Cerb's wonderful radar as a guide) with a bit of GTA3 style alpha blending, as per Demarest's request. wink.gif

*edit- Thanks to Steve M and his shiny new version of CollScript Utility (which you can find at his even shinier new site, Steve-M.com), I've fixed the col normals and set all the surface properties so the grass, roads, and beach all drive properly. I've also made a new waterpro.dat file which matches the island a bit better. You can download the whole new zip here, or, if you already have it installed, you can get the updated illcom.col and waterpro file by themselves here.

TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:38 PM

Ill-man, are you really serious about making a full mod outta this? if so lemmie know, cause my partner Johnny52002 might be outta modding commission for a while. I've joind with a few other respectable modders and we're gonna work off what i had created for the last mod (a large beach and a few apartment homes) and this land to make a lil mod, but with you along for the ride, it might come out a bit better tounge.gif

totter
  • totter

Custom member title

• Members

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:11 PM

I think I'll be making a race track for this. An giant boring racetrack for timetrails (with your own stopwatch tounge.gif ) And maybe I'll figure out how to make paths, and add some competition ^^

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 04 November 2003 - 05:24 PM Edited by ST.MU, 04 November 2003 - 08:46 PM.

I just read this whole topic for the first time, so haven't downloaded it yet. But no doubt this is a great project and I hope it will be more successfull than the Werre Tower (GTA3).

There is one point I disagree with Illspirit: contributers should not be allowed to design different models for the same spot! Some spots might become unattractive ("shelf-warmers") und ever remain empty, while others are used several times and there are great models for it, but the user can't try them all at the same time and has to switch between them often, and that isn't very user-friendly - especially for n00bs. And I I don't think that is what you wanted: A city with lots of gaps, but theoretically enough models to fill it up.
So I'd say those interested in making a model for this project should claim a spot, either by its dff name or you make a map whith lines between the pieces and numbers on them. First come first served, that easy. It would work like the ID nic topic or the Werre Tower project.
This way users have more fun, because there are more models, so map looks more like a new city. And as soon as the first isle is nearly booked out, you can make a new one, there is enough space so this is absolutely no problem. And users should be allowed to claim more than one spot, on condition that they already finished the models for spots already claimed, so there is no mass reservation.

Looking at the screenshots the island seems to be very flat, what is sort of boring. IMO the next island should be more hilly, like Portland (with the cliffs behind Salvatore's) or Shoreside Vale.

About the main.scm: there should be a basic script placing some cars and items all over the map. One person should be the "main.scm admin", who inserts the lines people post and uploads the updated main.scm. These lines will mainly be car placements, e.g. a car in the garage next to the house or maybe some special effects. wink.gif
And this is something, where you also will get into trouble when allowing several people to build at the same spot. Either there is a car, where none should be, or the user has to add lines provided with the packages himself and compile, what will scare off most of them and can't actually be organized!

OK, now I will try it and post again afterwards...

*UPDATE*
Wow, this is huge! I like it, well done illy! smile.gif But one question: why don't you use multi materials?
There is one perfect spot I'd like to have: illsub_c1_r1. If this is too perfect and Illspirit wants to have it, my secondary choice would be illsub_c1_r2. Let me know, if this is also claimed already.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2003 - 04:10 AM

That was actually stated before. I believe it was Cerbera who recommended that first each lot be filled, THEN have redundant options if there are still enough people modding for this.

The SCM idea isn't a bad one, but it would mean that there would eventually be 100s of versions floating around and would just add greater confusion in general. I think a basic one should be constructed that plants cars, pickups etc. Then keep that one around until there are quite a few made lots, then revise it with an updated version that gives each place it's share of a say over that area. Just my thoughts.

I really hope this doesn't just turn into a collection of stunt parks and garages. Frankly, they've been done before. I also agree with Steve about the terrain, but what would you expect from a GTA3 nut like myself? tounge.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 November 2003 - 04:20 PM Edited by ST.MU, 05 November 2003 - 08:31 PM.

You are right, the main.scm shouldn't be updated very often. But there should be periodical updates, i.e. every one or two months. The same with the radar map.

I've made a map, where you can see the single spots:

user posted image
Click map to enlarge (1024x1024, 73K)

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 05 November 2003 - 04:43 PM

If somebody can create an extremely tall and long bridge, then I can code ships to pass under it. You can then jump down from the bridge to a ship and hijack it. user posted image

SeBsZ
  • SeBsZ

Beep

• Members

Posted 05 November 2003 - 07:48 PM Edited by SeBsZ, 05 November 2003 - 07:48 PM.

Exactly where and how do you want the ship to go?

EDIT: I mean bridge smile.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 November 2003 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Nov 5 2003, 17:43)
If somebody can create an extremely tall and long bridge, then I can code ships to pass under it. You can then jump down from the bridge to a ship and hijack it. user posted image

You don't need to code them, using boat paths (paths.ipl) would be much easier.

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:22 PM

Say, Why don't we hire someone to make a new airport, and put Fun World into this.....
Just an idea....

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 06 November 2003 - 02:40 AM Edited by JBandit, 06 November 2003 - 02:42 AM.

Hey, i can add REspawn's old Staunton plaza map into this. I converted it to vice city (pretty easily) but i couldnt find space for it in the normal vice city map..Where do you think it should go?

user posted image

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 06 November 2003 - 02:51 AM

Also, ill, add 'The Bunker' to it. Man, that would be the sh*t lol. tounge2.gif

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:15 AM

Hmmm, there are some pretty good points about lots getting used or not, So I guess we'll go with the one-person-per-spot idea. At least until it's all filled up, then we can think of what to do from there. I'll go post a table of lots in the first post, then if anybody wants something, post here, and I'll edit it. If you know what kind of thing you're building, just say, and I'll add it in so maybe people won't build a duplicate.

And speaking of reserving spots, perhaps we should pick out two which will be saved for placing extra bridges to other islands for after they are built? In the end, I'd like to have a big island to the west for something of an industrial area, and two smaller ones across the whole north end of the map as residential. So then two coastal lots should be for bridges, no?

Thanks for the map Steve. I was just about to make one myself, but it looks like you beat me to it. smile.gif But I suppose it wouldn't hurt if I labled that one and put it in the first post. Oh, and yea, I know the map is a bit flat, but I was thinking this could be the commercial/downtown area, so I made it flat to make adding skyscrapers easier. If the residential area ever comes together, it should have lots of fun cliffs and hills.

As for the scm, methinks Demarest's right, we should probably keep script changes down to a minimum. I'm absolutely terrible at scm coding, but I'll see if I can muck something together with a few cars and weapons about the place. I dunno where exactly to *put* parked cars though, as it didn't cross my mind to model in on-street parking. Oops. In any case, I'm going to try and make a police station/hospital combo on lot 'illcom_c5_r9', so a few cars and guns, and proper respawn points will be there.

@ Barton- Once the next island happens, I'll be sure to make a nice bridge for jumping to boats (or suicide tounge.gif ) from.

@ Inky- If you want to add your Bunker mod to the map, feel free to claim a spot and stick it in. smile.gif

SeBsZ
  • SeBsZ

Beep

• Members

Posted 06 November 2003 - 06:42 AM

Hey,

that image you have on the first page, how about numbering all the lots, so someone can say "i want lot 32 and I am making a shopping mall". That way you just edit the first post or you could even upload a new picture with that lot colored in, like orange if it has been claimed but not done yet, and another color if it has been made and ready for download.

Nice huh?

SeBsZ

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2003 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Viperman @ Oct 23 2003, 19:00)
im defintally going to try my hand at this, it look like it could be a huge commuinty fun project...could be great fun

Me and Dal are going to team up and make our version, both of us has no idea how to get it in game, but we'll figure it out i guess

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

hope fully mark wll join us, we can be "Team- Uk youngsters" lol

Moi? Join j00 azzw0ls? blah biggrin.gif go on smile.gif Love the map Illy, infact I just started work on some very curvy, shiny, glassy and VERY CLASSY building yesterday smile.gif Oh and if possible with some help, get a damn railway going, it should be there somewhere biggrin.gif or even trams biggrin.gif

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 06 November 2003 - 03:08 PM

Awsome, thanks illspirit. I think...that I will take....this lot:
user posted image
Or just anything that's small enough.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:08 PM

I don't want illsub_c1_r1 or illsub_c1_r2 anymore, because I was planning to build something like a villa, but I will wait until the residential area is made. So at the moment please sign me up for

illcom_c2_r10

I'm going to model some kind of skyscraper/office building.

A good idea would be a DB-based community site, where the users can register/login and post details and screenshots about their lot, and where they can automatically sign up for further lots. There could be a php-generated map, where you can see which lots are already claimed and which are free (red/green). Much work, I know...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users