» «
Photo

[REL | BETA] Big Empty City, part 1

830 replies to this topic
illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 23 October 2003 - 01:09 PM Edited by illspirit, 27 November 2003 - 11:58 AM.

November 24 Update
  • Divided island up into 5 sections and sorted the id#'s for easier editing.

Get the updated v0.4 map folders/ipls/ides/cols right here.

Or, if you haven't installed any of it yet, or missed an update, get the full v0.4 package here.
  • November 14 Update
    • fixed waterpro.dat errors, now works with Barton Waterduck's missions.
    • raised land to match new water level.
    • Cerb, Odie, and I added some paths.

Get the updated v03 paths & illcom .ipl's, and new waterpro file right here.

Or, if you haven't installed any of it yet, get the full v0.3 package over here.

November 2 Update
    • Fixed the normals in the .col file so lights and shadows appear, set all the grass/sand/road surface properties.
    • made a new waterpro.dat file so there's no more nasty gaps in the world.

Download v0.02 here.

Ahoy, here's the first beta release of the first island in what may be a total conversion. Well, not a total conversion in the classic sense, as the new map is quite blank; all that's on the island are 99 empty lots and a network of roads. The basic idea is to make a big empty modular city which people can mod however they like. If all goes well, and lots of people participate, then in theory there could be lots of versions of each lot which could be mixed and matched to create many combinations. In a way, this could be sort of a community mod or something.

So, if you're feeling creative, download it, and try your hand at modelling something onto it. I've done my best to make it easy to edit via mimimal pieces, built in road connections, and such, but if you can think of anything to make it easier or better, give a shout here. One thing I'm not sure of right off hand is how we'll get uniform lighting across the whole thing. It won't be too hard for people with 3DS, but ZMod has a tendency to dump all pre-lighing info on import/export. confused.gif

Anyhoo, here's some screenies and such...

Click pics to enlarge.
    user posted imageuser posted image
    MooMapper shoton the beach
    main roadaerial view

Be forewarned, there's not a lot to do on the island itself at the moment, being that it's empty and all. There's also a complete lack of LOD models for now too, but I figured it would be worth a shot to post the beta and see how it goes. smile.gif

Lot Map (red=taken)
    user posted image
    Click map for large version with labels (55.9KB)
    Click here for a listing of what lots have been taken

Snow Racer
    • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
    • Norway

Posted 23 October 2003 - 01:27 PM Edited by Snow Racer, 08 January 2004 - 03:48 AM.

Map updates
    user posted image

Map with names

SeBsZ
    • SeBsZ

Beep

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:27 PM

Nice idea, i am going to model 2 huge towers to put in the middle. I will make some floors accessable probably, nice!

-Decay-
    • -Decay-

Fat Albert?

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:33 PM

Nice work illy.You should make this a community project. I can give you some cutom made models to put in if you want, and maybe you can include my new upcoming mod, GTA- The Matrix when its complete. turn.gif

FnF TeaM LeadeR
    • FnF TeaM LeadeR

FnF FreaK

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:56 PM

shes lookin all good illiy,

keep her up man, cause all the fans for my new map (nothing to yours) is startin to get a little anoying

Mikeol1987
    • Mikeol1987

Winning Loser

• Members
    • England

Posted 23 October 2003 - 03:38 PM

wow! that looks amazing, judging by the shape of the roading, I think it would be best to make it a kind of Residential area, small, detached houses would look good on their. real good.
    also you could have a supermarket and a church as well.
    damn good Ill!

adamcs
    • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2003 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (illspirit @ Oct 23 2003, 13:09)
    Ahoy, here's the first beta release of the first island in what may be a total conversion. Well, not a total conversion in the classic sense, as the new map is quite blank; all that's on the island are 99 empty lots and a network of roads. The basic idea is to make a big empty modular city which people can mod however they like. If all goes well, and lots of people participate, then in theory there could be lots of versions of each lot which could be mixed and matched to create many combinations. In a way, this could be sort of a community mod or something.

So, if you're feeling creative, download it, and try your hand at modelling something onto it. I've done my best to make it easy to edit via mimimal pieces, built in road connections, and such, but if you can think of anything to make it easier or better, give a shout here. One thing I'm not sure of right off hand is how we'll get uniform lighting across the whole thing. It won't be too hard for people with 3DS, but ZMod has a tendency to dump all pre-lighing info on import/export. confused.gif

Anyhoo, here's some screenies and such...

Click pics to enlarge.
    MooMapper shoton the beach
    main roadaerial view

And, you can download the mod right here. Be forewarned, there's not a lot to do on the island itself at the moment, being that it's empty and all. There's also a complete lack of LOD models for now too, but I figured it would be worth a shot to post the beta and see how it goes. smile.gif

freedom!
    great work illspirit, this must be what you showed me yesterday rolleyes.gif
    *downloading*

Target
    • Target

ph34r m3h

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 05:44 PM

Yes, very well done. Good luck to all involved smile.gif.

Viperman
    • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci Racing

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:00 PM

im defintally going to try my hand at this, it look like it could be a huge commuinty fun project...could be great fun

Me and Dal are going to team up and make our version, both of us has no idea how to get it in game, but we'll figure it out i guess

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

hope fully mark wll join us, we can be "Team- Uk youngsters" lol

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:25 PM

I've been playing with paths.ipl for about half an hour now with no joy, trying to add a new path. I think I'll have to reverse engineer from a less ambitious start point. Probably locate a node, then re-locate it and learn that way. Then try inserting a new node into that route, etc...

nespc
    • nespc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:29 PM Edited by nespc, 23 October 2003 - 07:46 PM.

I keep getting unhandled exception when I do it manually
    and I can't get vice city remover to run!

Can someone please send me the stripped img file?

[email protected]

TY

-RK
    • -RK

CLICK HERE

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (nespc @ Oct 23 2003, 19:29)
    I keep getting unhandled exception when I do it manually
    and I can't get vice city remover to run!

Can someone please send me the stripped img file?

[email protected]

TY

notify.gif You know how big that thing still is? I really don't think anyones going to send it to you. dozingoff.gif

@illy
    That looks like one kick-ass map to build on! cookie.gif

TRN4L
    • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:26 PM

IMO you should use GM2k's IDE Killer, its faster and has one minor glitch thats easily countered. also on GM's site he has an 'empty' maps folder

mer cinder
    • mer cinder

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 October 2003 - 04:55 AM

Cool cool. Are the lots visable? If so, people should start claiming the lots so there are no conflicts.

Great Idea Ill, I just realized I hate modeling, So I'm not going to be dipping my toe into this mod any time soon. Unless you guys need skins or textures of course.

Opius
    • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:05 AM

Here goes another install.

Illspirit, my hard drive hates you.

But this looks pretty good. If you want a nice easy way to LOD objects, just duplicate all the DFFs, make blank COL files for them and set the duplicate objects viewing distance to 4000.

I picture the main island so far as being a sort of residential area. Are you going to make 'zones' of types of buildings?

The Ultimate Soldier
    • The Ultimate Soldier

Da Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 October 2003 - 10:49 AM

I can work with this. This could be like the hood or something, or maybe a really, really, really big park tounge.gif

Demarest
    • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:59 AM

Excellent idea, illspirit. I can see people make their own "plugins" map-wise for this. What about the code? I'm assuming that unless you made the vehicle you start off with destruction-proof, that you'd want parked cars around. Not to mention pickups, etc. Just a though.

BTW, the forums feel like home once again now that that ADMIN badge hangs round your neck wink.gif Welcome back.

illspirit
    • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 24 October 2003 - 12:20 PM Edited by illspirit, 24 October 2003 - 12:32 PM.

Thanks for the kind words all. This is the first thing I've done of this size, so I wasn't sure how well it would turn out. It was also a bit of an experiment in the mass-use of Max modifiers to create a usable landscape. Believe it or not, between all the path deforms, mesh displacements, and boolean/comform operations, most of the time spent on this seems to have gone to splitting the peices, exporting them all, and making seperate col objects for them. O_o

But yea, Decay, SeBsZ, and anyone else who wants to build onto this- By all means, jump right in and start making things. smile.gif I've uploaded a zip with a .max file of the project right here, in case anyone else uses 3DS for mapping. If you make anything, go ahead and post in this topic and I'll edit the first post with links to it and provide a file mirror if need be.

And as for what type of island this will be, well, it's probably not that big a deal. Originally the plan was to make this a commercial-ish/downtown area with some residential mixed in, and then have a proper suburb island to the north, and an industrial districted island to the side. But then, it would work just as well if people make whatever they feel like. In the end, since it's sorta modular, you could really pick and choose which bits you like, and zone the areas yourself. But seeing as it's still only one island, methinks anything goes for now.

@Mer Cinder- The lots aren't visable in-game, but they're cut up into tidy little square-ish pieces once you pop them into an editor. And now that you mention it, claiming lots might be a good idea for now. In the end though, it would be great if we could make enough stuff so there would be several buildings to choose from on each section. If enough people decide to play along, perhaps there could even be a site for this where people could upload, download, and rate individual pieces; maybe even some sort of front end program to manage swapping them in and out. And if it ever gets this far along, it could just as easily made to include various skins into the city. wink.gif

@Opius- Sorry 'bout the harddrive mate, I kow just how you feel. I've got a few installs myself, each of which has a ridiculous ammount of extra mod folders in them. And I had to uninstall a bunch of stuff to make room for setting this monstrosity up....

*edit- Do'h! Demarest, you posted an exellent point while I was typing. tounge.gif
    I haven't thought of what to do about the coding really yet. We should have full path editing capabilities soon enough (Spooky, Steve, and Delfi are on top of it) and there are some renegade paths crossing the island as is, so there are a few random cars to be found. As for pickups, erm, no idea really. Surely a few can be strewn about the place on various street corners, bridges, and such which won't change, so as to solve part of the problem. Hmmm, perhaps there should be a couple of permenant buildings around as well too? Like a hospital and police station, which could serve both as respawn points and places for parked cars and guns.

nespc
    • nespc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2003 - 12:42 PM

I got it working I just rebuilt my archive then deleted manually which took only about 1 min to do then I was in the game.

Excellent Work Ill!

shtiann
    • shtiann

nice sucker

• Members

Posted 24 October 2003 - 12:47 PM

GREAT MAN !!! that will be great for the stunt city mod..'m gonna work on this immediatly.... devil.gif

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 24 October 2003 - 01:08 PM

People should claim lots by thier dff name, not just say "yeah, I'll make a pair of huge towers" or "I'm gonna make a huuuuge park on it" because we'll end up with conflicts. smile.gif

I'm still prodding path nodes without joy. dontgetit.gif

Opius
    • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 24 October 2003 - 01:28 PM

Well, can't guarantee I can make something, as inspiration is in short supply lately with me, and I've got Funworld and Majera to work on, but if I build something that would fit in, I'll send it in.

Probably an medium sized office building. Let's call it 'OPS_Office.DFF'.

adamcs
    • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:40 PM

Just confirming that I posted this as news on my site illy. (after you gave me permission on msn. rolleyes.gif ). Seen as advertising is against the rules, I can't post a link, so if you need proof that I gave you credit etc., just drop me a line through pm. wink.gif

Jet Li
    • Jet Li

JET LI is a lame nick :(

• Members

Posted 25 October 2003 - 07:03 PM

I can't install it... sad.gif... Doing something wrong but dunno what... It loads a fourth of the loading bar, then stops and a freezes.

fat-tony
    • fat-tony

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 October 2003 - 08:39 PM

hey illspirit. this looks like a cool idea. cud u make a gta3 version as well. i tried makin my own version for it but i only got z mod. 3ds max is better (ive heard)

JernejL
    • JernejL

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 October 2003 - 04:39 PM

heyo, i want to make something for this:

i need a place size of prawn island okay ?

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 27 October 2003 - 05:29 PM

I've bodged together a crappy set of radar textures (just sliced up the promo shot and used TXDTool, half hour job) so you can find your way around the area a little easily. As there aren't any buildings it's pretty hard to pick out landmarks and even with this radar mod it'll take you ages to really learn it enough to know where you are and I'm still caught out when trying to brake for the junctions! tounge.gif

Download Crappy Radar

Here's what you'll be getting for your, err, click?
    user posted image
    1024 x 768 version

Viperman
    • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:06 PM

sh*tty this i gue!!!!

i want a fresh install for this mod, and modding this mod, so i uninstalled...and went to re-install, but my disc 2 has a chip in the label and wont instal the game, it aborts every time, which total sucks...but i have sourced a disc 2 to get opyed for me if i copy my disc 1 for him...so i should hopefully get my vice running soon

anyways TRN, Me, Dal, Die_Catalina_Die, are sort of working as a team, i think, trn has some abousolty beuitful models he was showing me, am im currently making some buildings as well...were have the style etc planed and sh*t, just making and gettting in game i guess

thats illy for such a cool thingy to do rah.gif

TRN4L
    • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:18 PM

If its OK with Illy I'll come back and post my progress pic, ans same for the rest of the "team"

Joey2003
    • Joey2003

The Twelfth Jesus

• Members

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:30 PM

Hmm, this sounds great, i'll give it a shot, i'll just have to reserve:

joey_prick01
    joey_prick02
    joey_prick03

they wont be used unless someone is making a statue to honour how much they hate me, and nobody would do that

*joey stares suspectingly around the "Topic"*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users