• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2003 - 10:29 AM

The resolution would change it, yeah, but the size wouldn't. I think my screen is running 96 pixels per inch as it's resolution, the desktop size is 1600x1200. Now, I I dropped the size down to 1024x768, a letter that was 96 pixels on the big desktop will remain at 96 pixels on the small desktop provided that the resolution of 96 pixels per inch is kept. Of course, the letter won't be an inch in height now, but most monitors don't change thier actual resolution because a lot of games and programs don't support it, they just change the outright size.

That is why I figure that text using a pixel size will be the same regardless of what desktop size people are running. Also I've seen the effects myself; when running programs I made on this large desktop the text remains the same number of pixels in height regardless of the desktop size on other computers.

As a great beleiver in experiment, let's put this to the test:
user posted image
That's mine. Take the same shot using the same skin on your own PC's and we can set them side-by-side. smile.gif

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:00 AM

I cant take the screenshot as the sites are blocked at school but mine looks the same as urs CERB wink.gif

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:04 AM

You don't understand.. Mine looks the same as yours on all resolutions, but it doesn't take the same amount of space up. This is because the pixels take up less room going up in res and both the text size and the image are included in this.. Bah.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 03 October 2003 - 01:42 PM Edited by 40ozFreak, 03 October 2003 - 01:43 PM.

Hey whoever removed my sig can eat my ass, ok? It's like 12 pixels over, and if that gets me in trouble, then choke on it.

My image host is down anyways, so I know for a fact it isn't over. Maybe if you mods would do CTRL+F5 you would see that.

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2003 - 02:24 PM

How do you put the sig and the text in the template box? I'm really confused about this. You guys never explained it. And, my last question was never answered.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2003 - 02:43 PM

Maybe it was too much to hope for, but I thought people might notice the SigTech™ link in my signature, just below the link to these rules. That explains it and you can post there for help too. smile.gif

Oh, 40, Fred AND myself had removed your signature. You deciding to dump it back in could have gotten you a warning star. You broke the height rule by well over 50 pixels, your siganture was sitting at over 200 pixels tall. confused.gif

EM16, the point is that they are the same PIXEL height on all screen sizes and it's those pixels that are used as the unit to measure them, rather than using a ruler against the screen to measure it in millimetres.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 03 October 2003 - 02:47 PM Edited by 40ozFreak, 03 October 2003 - 02:51 PM.

Riiight.

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 03 October 2003 - 06:17 PM

god, see what comotion you have caused by allowing ppl to have a certain sized image i their sig.

It will be more annoying for newbies who don't know about the limit, and then when there sig is removed they will start complaining that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 03 October 2003 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (chunky monkey @ Oct 4 2003, 04:17)
It will be more annoying for newbies who don't know about the limit, and then when there sig is removed they will start complaining that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Doesn't it say in the email you get sent at registration to read the rules before confirming registration?

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2003 - 04:40 AM Edited by lesfleanut, 04 October 2003 - 04:41 AM.

Yea, this sucks for n00bs... You have to be a f*cking coder and have a copy of photoshop to check it to have a legal sig in this place anymore. Look at uno carbs sig, his text is way more than 500 pixels wide.. If your gonna be a nazi you might as well punish the length and width offenders. sarcasm.gif

Edit: and look at people with quotes in their sig...

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 04 October 2003 - 03:20 PM

there are loads of ppl on this forum who have bigger sigs then allowed but i havent seen them take away.

I think its ppl with stars who's sigs are taken away mad.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2003 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (chunky monkey @ Oct 4 2003, 16:20)
there are loads of ppl on this forum who have bigger sigs then allowed but i havent seen them take away.

There are over 2,000 posts made here every day. We created the "Report this Post" feature so that the members can help us patrol the place - if you report the signatures which are too large then we will know about them.

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 04 October 2003 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Oct 4 2003, 17:22)
QUOTE (chunky monkey @ Oct 4 2003, 16:20)

There are over 2,000 posts made here every day. We created the "Report this Post" feature so that the members can help us patrol the place - if you report the signatures which are too large then we will know about them.

Ok, numero uno:~

alienant cool.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2003 - 03:24 PM

Sorry for bumping a week old topic, but I guess I'm not as accustomed to cruising the Announcements as I should be confused.gif

A pixel is a pixel. Cerbera is correct. The amount of pixels a monitor can display and what it's being made to display are two different pixels. At any resolution, the Windows fonts are still set at the same size in pixels and will scale accordingly. HOWEVER, a person's browser can be made to override such settings in the confines of the browser itself.

I think the general population is getting a little too edgey over this. When a bunch of people start abusing the sigs feature, the staff could just as easily pull the plug on sig privileges altogether. In most areas of life, this punish everybody for the mistakes of few (education vs restriction) is employed. It would no doubt be an easier road for them to take than to hear a bunch of people complaining about a PRIVILEGE that they've chosen to allow us to have. It makes policing it tougher for them and it makes browsing the forums more time consuming for us all (in terms of bandwidth). Of the tens of thousands of the members here, I still see a VERY large percentage of them using sigs just fine. If the majority can get it, so can the few left who still insist on abusing it.

In terms of "newbies," I think opius summed it up. Not to mention, I am CERTAIN that the majority of the staff (especailly now that the rules have had time to set in) would address the situation of a new member accordingly. They could water down the punishment, or they might not. They don't have to. I'm just glad they've decided to let us keep the sig feature.

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:41 PM

Yea, they could just pull the plug... But when you run a forum like a nazi you can expect it to die pretty quickly.

MyMothersMySister
  • MyMothersMySister

Unkle Dysfunktional

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 13 October 2003 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (lesfleanut @ Oct 13 2003, 17:41)
Yea, they could just pull the plug... But when you run a forum like a nazi you can expect it to die pretty quickly.

Ever the cynic huh Les??

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 13 October 2003 - 07:48 PM

Ok OK, look at Cerberas sig for example, yes not breaking any rules but surely having all those images is still the same as having a sig that is 1 pixel too big angry.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2003 - 02:14 PM

user posted image
Precisely 500 pixels wide, including the table borders. All the images fit into far less than 100 pixels of height AND the text doesn't push it outside of the 150 pixel limit. 500x116 using 1096 characters - exemplary use of signature space, I think you'll find. rolleyes.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2003 - 03:20 PM

While I'm no fan of all these crazy sigs, I must admit that Cerbera's is formatted pretty well. Looks messy, but concise.

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2003 - 03:35 PM

I wasnt dissing his sig, i was just saying that having all those images in that small space must be the same as having a sig that is one pixel over limit, and yet the one pixel over limit sigs are taken out bored.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2003 - 09:03 PM

I wasn't saying you were. And I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you. One thing I will say is that they went to great length to be specific and let everybody know in time. There is nothing to gain by nitpicking about it, argue, etc. Your membership here is free and you'll just have to accept it. If you feel that he's pushing the rule to the limit, you'll just have to realize that in life, rules have boundaries and people push those limits or enter loopholes all the time. I think it's best if you just put it behind you so that we all can.

the_travis_s
  • the_travis_s

Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 October 2003 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (chunky monkey @ Oct 14 2003, 15:35)
I wasnt dissing his sig, i was just saying that having all those images in that small space must be the same as having a sig that is one pixel over limit, and yet the one pixel over limit sigs are taken out bored.gif

That's interesting, given that yours LOOKS bigger to me. I'm not sure how much space is being taken up, but the fact you have text below your sig makes the overall space appear larger. Cerb's sig may contain many images, but the overall size seems smaller.

It's all a matter of how you view it I guess.

punk_rocker128
  • punk_rocker128

Forum Moderator

• Members

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:22 AM

Can someone please tell me why my signature was tooken out? It is 399*90 pixels. Mr Mifussle took it out. I think the guy hates me......

user posted image

the_travis_s
  • the_travis_s

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:31 AM Edited by the_travis_s, 15 October 2003 - 07:31 AM.

QUOTE (punk_rocker128 @ Oct 15 2003, 07:22)
Can someone please tell me why my signature was tooken out? It is 399*90 pixels. Mr Mifussle took it out. I think the guy hates me......

user posted image

# Maximum dimensions of a SINGLE signature image is 468 x 70 pixels.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 19 October 2003 - 03:43 PM

Can we have a 500X100 sig image, then cut it into, say four 250X50 chunks? Technically, it's not breaking the rules, but I thought it would be best to check before I go off and start one.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2003 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Opius @ Oct 19 2003, 16:43)
Can we have a 500X100 sig image, then cut it into, say four 250X50 chunks? Technically, it's not breaking the rules, but I thought it would be best to check before I go off and start one.

That would still be breaking the rules as it would be a continous image larger than the rules allow. Just as if someone in an un-official gang decided to split there sig into 20px and 70px tall sections. sly.gif

Looking around the board, I see people are STILL breaking these rules, so I'm going on a sig-removal rampage starting tomorrow, Monday the 20th). Be sure you won't be a casualty! sly.gif

SigTech™ - ask for sig optimisations/re-formatting here.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:18 PM

i'm having a small question over avtar image sizes:

user posted image

you can see this everywhere, 64 * 64 avtairs somewat look odd in such a big space,
so i'm asking if you could change the rule to 128*64 in size for avtairs, this would fill the
unused space on the right, and wouldn't affect the height of a post table cell.
and this could efficiently make people here happier; especialy gang members that could use this instead of big signs and everyone else as you can't get nothing into the 64*64 small avtairs...

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Delfi @ Oct 20 2003, 15:18)
i'm having a small question over avtar image sizes:

user posted image

you can see this everywhere, 64 * 64 avtairs somewat look odd in such a big space,
so i'm asking if you could change the rule to 128*64 in size for avtairs, this would fill the
unused space on the right, and wouldn't affect the height of a post table cell.
and this could efficiently make people here happier; especialy gang members that could use this instead of big signs and everyone else as you can't get nothing into the 64*64 small avtairs...

Hmm, good point there Delfi. My new skin for this forum makes the width of that column shrink to the width of the text in it, so there's less wasted space. Thing is, most forums have 64x64 avatar rules so members wouldn't be able to use thier GTAForums avatar elsewhere... dontgetit.gif

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci

Posted 24 October 2003 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Oct 21 2003, 14:31)
Hmm, good point there Delfi. My new skin for this forum makes the width of that column shrink to the width of the text in it, so there's less wasted space. Thing is, most forums have 64x64 avatar rules so members wouldn't be able to use thier GTAForums avatar elsewhere... dontgetit.gif

all skins shrink the cell to image / text width which is average to 128,
also, gang logos are already bigger than avtairs, biggest i've seen is 33*88
and i think there are bigger ones too, and don't forget gang member group titles
these also widen the cells..

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2003 - 11:42 AM

These rules should probably be binned as you aren't using them. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users