94 replies to this topic
JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (ZanderZ @ Oct 23 2003, 13:07)
QUOTE (Demarest @ Oct 23 2003, 12:50)
Isn't it a file placed on the machine by DirectX 9? VC auto-installs DX9.

Yes, it's Direct3D version 9 (probably, given the name), so it's used for 3D stuff. Why ViceTXD uses it, I don't know.

vicetxd doesn't directly use it, the compressor vicetxd.dll uses it to compress images.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 November 2003 - 08:52 AM Edited by Delfi, 05 November 2003 - 08:54 AM.

spooky, i have took myself some time to make my compressor to work on vicetxd,
but i have come to problem, after compressing the dll makes a dds file with same name
what is the vicetxd expects right?
the file is dxt1 / 3 and has alaways all mipmaps, i tried replacing the vicetxd.dll
from the latest version and vicetxd gives an error after reading first 128 bytes of the output dds file (sysinternals file monitor)

here is the link:
http://www.infofeast...ecompressor.zip

can you spooky take a look what goes wrong with the output files?
they seem perfectly healthy dds files to me...
the dll params are still same as in the .c file you sent me right?

and a note to others, don't use my software compressor yet, it doesn't work!!

Spooky
  • Spooky

Prince of the Yolkfolk

• Members

Posted 05 November 2003 - 12:51 PM

It's because the program isn't expecting any mipmaps. It doesn't actually read the first 128 bytes, it skips them then tries to read the rest into the buffer, but as the buffer is only the size of the main texture, the extra mipmap data in the file overflows it.

Nice work Delfi smile.gif I checked out Dir Manager, it's very cool smile.gif .

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Spooky @ Nov 5 2003, 13:51)
It's because the program isn't expecting any mipmaps. It doesn't actually read the first 128 bytes, it skips them then tries to read the rest into the buffer, but as the buffer is only the size of the main texture, the extra mipmap data in the file overflows it.

Nice work Delfi smile.gif I checked out Dir Manager, it's very cool smile.gif .

but still, when i made a dds file without any mipmaps it still produced an exception...

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 24 January 2004 - 06:31 AM Edited by ashdexx, 24 January 2004 - 06:31 AM.

erm, im not comfortable bumping this, buuttt....

Delfi and Spooky - any chance of either of you adding .dds file support (import / export) to your apps? also, do you know if gta actually uses the MipMaps in the compressed textures (infernus)? if so, could you add an option to import them as well?

Spooky - the "Stretch" option on your app doesnt work. Also, could you put the "ExInfo" on a separate dialog or something? i have to click on an image to get the info for it, and sometimes the info gets caught up in the image and becomes difficult to read.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Jan 24 2004, 07:31)
erm, im not comfortable bumping this, buuttt....

Delfi and Spooky - any chance of either of you adding .dds file support (import / export) to your apps? also, do you know if gta actually uses the MipMaps in the compressed textures (infernus)? if so, could you add an option to import them as well?

Spooky - the "Stretch" option on your app doesnt work. Also, could you put the "ExInfo" on a separate dialog or something? i have to click on an image to get the info for it, and sometimes the info gets caught up in the image and becomes difficult to read.

dds.. bah! no way! it is microsoft!!

if it uses mipmaps then it is useful only for having different textures changing on
distance.. nothing else because gtavc probably automaticly makes mipmaps (as most of games)

i can test that btw with the same thing as mentioned above
but the compressing of the textures would take longer.

i can make both features availible, but what the f* would anyone want to use dds
files if you can use tga's with less headache and mipmaps are automaticly (probably)

give me a good reason and i'll make it.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:23 PM

well this is just a guess, but i think if vice auto-generated mip maps, then they wouldnt be included in the infernus.txd, assuming they even work. most of the games ive played that use DXT compressed textures, NFSU, BF42, some others, use the mip maps that are pre-generated, and stored in the dds file, and do not generate them on the fly. very useful for custom txd's that could have large textures.

mip mapping was about half of the reason why i wanted support for DDS. the others are so i dont have to compress the txd after i have it built, i could just import pre-compressed textures right from photoshop, which has many DDS format options available on DXT textures when you save them, including auto mip map generation (if you choose it) and native normal map (bump map) support, directly into the dds file (again, if you choose it).

Current method -
save .tga / bmp, import into app, compress, done.
Preferred - (by me)
saved pre-compressed DDS / import into app, done.

i think these are good reasons...

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Jan 26 2004, 22:23)
well this is just a guess, but i think if vice auto-generated mip maps, then they wouldnt be included in the infernus.txd, assuming they even work. most of the games ive played that use DXT compressed textures, NFSU, BF42, some others, use the mip maps that are pre-generated, and stored in the dds file, and do not generate them on the fly. very useful for custom txd's that could have large textures.

mip mapping was about half of the reason why i wanted support for DDS. the others are so i dont have to compress the txd after i have it built, i could just import pre-compressed textures right from photoshop, which has many DDS format options available on DXT textures when you save them, including auto mip map generation (if you choose it) and native normal map (bump map) support, directly into the dds file (again, if you choose it).

Current method -
Preferred - (by me)

i think these are good reasons...

let's take some things out:

"very useful for custom txd's that could have large textures."

i have no f*cking idea what you are talking about, all 7 mipmap levels take for another
same sized image bytes of data! so i don't understand how you think you are going to
save space with them??

"mip mapping was about half of the reason why i wanted support for DDS. the others are so i dont have to compress the txd after i have it built, i could just import pre-compressed textures right from photoshop, which has many DDS format options available on DXT textures when you save them, including auto mip map generation (if you choose it) and native normal map (bump map) support, directly into the dds file (again, if you choose it)."

my txd workshop compresses images only on importing - replacing a image.
same with vicetxd. txd workshop preserves previous compressed images with
no changes.

and on other word - my dxt compressor is >>same<< as used in photoshop.

the bump maping and other sh*t are only for dds files and their own special stuff
all that things are lost after getting image into txd format (except if there are some
kind of special image extension chunks for this - i won't be looking for them because
bump mapping info is in dff files)

on other word if i use same compressor as photoshop i can also implement auto
mipmap generation, right?

so:

you do:

but with vicetxd you actualy do same thing but instead of compressing with
photoshop txdworkshop compresses automaticly if image is dxt..

Spooky
  • Spooky

Prince of the Yolkfolk

• Members

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:44 AM

Its not a bad idea but the DDS format has alot of unnecessary features that would be lost on import and really anything that needs to be changed in a TXD now can be with the current tools available (except mipmaps with ViceTXD.. eek, I was working on that a while ago).

Current method -
Preferred - (by me)
ViceTXD -
Save .tga / bmp, import into app which auto-compresses it, done. tounge.gif

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Spooky @ Jan 27 2004, 05:44)
Its not a bad idea but the DDS format has alot of unnecessary features that would be lost on import and really anything that needs to be changed in a TXD now can be with the current tools available (except mipmaps with ViceTXD.. eek, I was working on that a while ago).

Current method -
Preferred - (by me)
ViceTXD -
Save .tga / bmp, import into app which auto-compresses it, done.

the best thing to do is delete mipmaps like i do, painless..

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:11 AM

I've got a problem using ViceTXD. I've already changed a lot of skins like buildings and so, and they all worked great. But when I try to change the loading screen (loadsc0.txd) , I get the following error :

Access violation at address 0045C9FC in module 'ViceTXD.exe'. Write of address 00C3C000.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. I saved it as an 8 bit image.

please help confused.gif

JBandit
  • JBandit

Huh?

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:04 AM

Try using txd workshop by delfi. It is at his site.

DiCanio
  • DiCanio

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:05 AM

i had the same problem and used the old TXT Tool
worked a treat smile.gif

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (DiCanio @ Feb 17 2004, 06:05)
TXT Tool

notepad? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:34 PM

Spooky - any updates?

Delfi - have you considered adding ps2 .txd support to your app? they're *essentially* the same as uncompressed pc textures, but the palette / rgb data is flipped around, and there's a bit more header info. hey, it would be a nice addition no matter what...

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:08 AM

True, they are all uncompressed, and there are even textures they forgot to update for the PC version (like leaves). Delfi has the source of my PS2 TXD Viewer, so he should be able to implement it into his tool...

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (ST.MU @ Mar 5 2004, 01:08)
True, they are all uncompressed, and there are even textures they forgot to update for the PC version (like leaves). Delfi has the source of my PS2 TXD Viewer, so he should be able to implement it into his tool...

what for??

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 15 March 2004 - 03:37 PM

Better quality textures? The upcomming SA PS2 version?

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 16 March 2004 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (ST.MU @ Mar 15 2004, 16:37)
Better quality textures? The upcomming SA PS2 version?

i wouldn't do that just to have a tool to edit gta:sa textures..

what if they change format?

i'll wait for the game to be released.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:43 PM Edited by ashdexx, 17 March 2004 - 01:24 PM.

trueee, they *could* change the format, but so far your app opens every txd type to date, tis almost a shame for it to NOT support ps2 txd right now. besides, that means it supports gta3 (ps2), vice (ps2), AND manhunt (ps2) right off the bat, there might be other games its useful for that we dont know about.

btw, i created a new txd with Steve's txd builder, and when i try to compress the images in your program, i get the following error report:
Access violation at address 00404E50 in module 'txdworkshop.exe'. Write of address 0138FFFC

The txd still works, but if i open it in spooky's app, it says error: read beyond end of file. that didnt happen before i compressed it...

edit: oh yea, did you ever get that hardware decompressor to work for the xbox txd's? or even at all?

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Mar 17 2004, 13:43)
...it supports gta3 (ps2), vice (ps2), AND manhunt (ps2) right off the bat...

Are Manhunt's textures also in such a scrambled format like those of VC (PS2)?

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Mar 17 2004, 13:43)
btw, i created a new txd with Steve's txd builder, and when i try to compress the images in your program, i get the following error report:
Access violation at address 00404E50 in module 'txdworkshop.exe'. Write of address 0138FFFC

The txd still works, but if i open it in spooky's app, it says error: read beyond end of file. that didnt happen before i compressed it...

Did you check it with the latest RWA? Maybe you can see the problem.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:14 PM

manhunt ps2 txd files are identical to the vice ps2 ones, with the exception of a different palette size for some images that cant be opened, but there are only a few images in that format, 99% of the games textures are 8-bit and work perfectly.

here, some people wanted the manhunt player skins to mess with, so ill post the link here as well
http://gregval.phpwe...nhunt_skins.rar
The first image in the txd pig_ps2, has one of the unkown paletted images i was referring to.

and the topic i posted about Manhunt editing...
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=127996

im pretty sure the access violation i mentioned was the compressor trying to compress 32bit images, which it cant, because the only time i get that error, is when the image is 32bit to begin with. i didnt see this listed in delfi's readme, nor was i aware of it beforehand.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Mar 17 2004, 23:14)
manhunt ps2 txd files are identical to the vice ps2 ones, with the exception of a different palette size for some images that cant be opened, but there are only a few images in that format, 99% of the games textures are 8-bit and work perfectly.

here, some people wanted the manhunt player skins to mess with, so ill post the link here as well
http://gregval.phpwe...nhunt_skins.rar
The first image in the txd pig_ps2, has one of the unkown paletted images i was referring to.

and the topic i posted about Manhunt editing...
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=127996

im pretty sure the access violation i mentioned was the compressor trying to compress 32bit images, which it cant, because the only time i get that error, is when the image is 32bit to begin with. i didnt see this listed in delfi's readme, nor was i aware of it beforehand.

- do you have the latest version of txd workshop?
- are the texture dimensions power of 2?
- if when compressing large pics throws that error, retry again, usualy works.

sonix
  • sonix

Stoned Monkey.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Delfi @ Mar 19 2004, 11:38)

Hi Delfi, I can't seem to find a link for your txd workshop on your website. Is it still avaliable for download? I'm having problems trying to extract certain texture files from gta3.img for gtavc. .txd files and dff files extract ok, but I want to extract the txd files that end in a different suffix .txdsu' (something like that anyway)

The crane in the scrap yard has it's textures in this format, as do the crushers, but when using img Ed or gta3 img progs, they say unable to extract. Does your workshop program extract / read these other texture files?

Thanks,

Sonix.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (sonix @ May 31 2004, 20:18)
QUOTE (Delfi @ Mar 19 2004, 11:38)

Hi Delfi, I can't seem to find a link for your txd workshop on your website. Is it still avaliable for download? I'm having problems trying to extract certain texture files from gta3.img for gtavc. .txd files and dff files extract ok, but I want to extract the txd files that end in a different suffix .txdsu' (something like that anyway)

The crane in the scrap yard has it's textures in this format, as do the crushers, but when using img Ed or gta3 img progs, they say unable to extract. Does your workshop program extract / read these other texture files?

Thanks,

Sonix.

Your describing 2 different problems. I use IMG Tool, and i have never, ever, had any problems extracting a file from the img, NOR have i seen any files in the img that dont end in .dff, .txd, or .col. whats the filename?

Txdworkshop wont help you open an IMG file, it opens txd's once they are extracted from the img. And it (txdworkshop) IS there, look a little harder..

sonix
  • sonix

Stoned Monkey.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:42 AM Edited by sonix, 01 June 2004 - 03:54 AM.

So you can extract every single file from the gta3.img file? Man that makes me jealous, there's too much I need to pull out, but can't cos of this problem.

On export, I can select the file path, but then an error message pops up saying unable to extract, or unable to creat path. In the same Img Ed session I can extract other files no problem.

The files in my gta3.img for VC have several suffixes. There are a lot of dff files, that are suffix dfffff and dfffffffff. Also there are alot of txd files (all the player1-12 dff and txd files for eg) that have these longer suffixes. ( .txdosu')

I have no seperate txd.img file.

Img Ed and Img tool will extract the .dfffff & variants, but none of the txds with weird suffixes.

I can post a screen shot from img Ed showing these files if necessary.

Thanks for the tip on the workshop, I'll have a deeper look at the website again.

---EDIT---- The txd file I need to extract is crusher_bn.txd but in my gta3.img file this is un-extractable, due to the weird suffix. Maybe you could check your img file and see if this is the same with you. Thanks. ---EDIT---

Sonix.

fahq
  • fahq

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:58 AM

Sorry, but this is just *slightly* off-topic;

Regarding your sig, ashdexx, I should think that you would be thrilled that someone finally had enough balls to stand up against the current criminal administration? (Since you are from NYC, I mean)

I haven't seen the movie myself, so I can't say whether or not it's what you say. I can say, however, that I didn't need a movie - or any other propaganda - on September 12, 2001, to come to the obvious conclusion that Bush/Cheney were just as responsible as bin Laden! I've never ever been political. I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican. In fact, I've never voted. And the last thing I want to do is stir-up an argument over the matter. He11, I'm not big on the Kerry idea myself. But the current administration has got to go! The damage that they have done - in less than 4 years - will haunt us, and our children, for decades to come.

These people are systematically destroying all that this country has stood for! The thing is, too many Americans are either too embarassed to admit that they were wrong (in supporting Bush). While the rest of them refuse to acknowlege any other media sources, other than the NY Times, CNN or Fox! I think if you did some research on your own - outside of the few that I just mentioned - you'd find out some pretty horrible stuff. The buck is supposed to stop with Bush. He is the President; He holds (or rather, stole) the top office in our nation; He therefore is the one who should be jailed. I could go on, bu I know this isn't the place for it. I'm just commenting on your sig.

Again, my intent is not to argue with you over the democrat/republican thing. I just think you should cut Moore some slack, since all he is doing is letting people have a look at what the administration so desperately doesn't want them to see. It seems to me, it's been pretty one-sided all along;
Until now.

Hey Delfi - whats up? I just checked my email, late again - and found your reply. I'll be talking to ya....

Sean.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:00 PM

http://www.spooky.ni...co.uk/Setup.exe

Spooky, this link gives me IMG Tool 1.3..

@ fahq, if you ever read this. i forgot what my sig was at that time, but im not from nyc, so its, um, moot point now.... turn.gif

Mercie
  • Mercie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Sep 29 2004, 19:00)
http://www.spooky.ni...co.uk/Setup.exe

Spooky, this link gives me IMG Tool 1.3..

@ fahq, if you ever read this. i forgot what my sig was at that time, but im not from nyc, so its, um, moot point now.... turn.gif

6 Months later....

Spooky, I PMed you, but ^ ^ ^ is still true.

Errr, bump? No, its piined anyway smile.gif

adammelo
  • adammelo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

ockay heres my problem i opened a file with the Vice TXD extracted all the stuff in it and put flames on the body and stuff then i replaced them all with the new ones i just eddited and close that then i went into the img editor and placed my pcg600 txd in there after deleting the original now when i get in game i only get this:
user posted image
(notice u see the black outline of the flames but my actual flames arent there!)
i tryed going to the paintshop and went in and out around 40 times still no flames so how do i get the flames on there? Note:i put the flames on only the texture first but after that didnt work i put them on the alpha too just to see if that would work and still no luck? So what up with this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users