Photo

alvin and the chipmunks

4 replies to this topic
prnl71
  • prnl71

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2003 - 05:48 AM

when i play  vice city i get normal sound at first then all of a sudden i get the chipmunks the radio andthe poeple sound like chipmunks the only way to stop this is quitting the game then
restarting it

i have a onboard sound card  which 90 percent of oyu will say that is my problem  but i cannot afford to get  a new card please help if oyu know of a setting or fix i can do

my card is a  via ac97 onboard sound card andy body else having this ??

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 16 June 2003 - 07:40 PM

The problem is with the drivers for that sound card.

If you can afford $30-40 you can ask your local computer hardware store, not something like BestBuy, if they sell OEM sound cards.

OEM is not a brand. Basicly it's a way of selling hardware without all the extras, like manuals and bonus software. If the case of soundcards, you get the card and a disc or 2 for the drivers and that's all.
I spend about $45 for my SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 instead of the $70-80 for the full package. And that was about 1 year ago.

I got it because the on-board audio was the AC'97 and it sucked. One set of drivers would let me hear all audio fine and use my mic giving me full duplex, but I wouldn't play more than one piece of audio at the some time. Where as other set of drivers, even listed as the be the correct set for the on-board chipset, allowed for multi-audio files to play but some sounded like pure crap and also only allowed for half-duplex if I was lucky.
VIA might make a great chipset for the rest of the mobo, but they suck for everything else, even tech support.

prnl71
  • prnl71

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2003 - 09:46 PM

the weird thing is that it starts off fine then gets that way
and now my mic does not work at all i cannot record sound or talk or nothing  i guess the drivers suck for the onboard i tried rolling them back but i really do  not think it works all that great  the roll back

so i should go get a new sound card oem type and then will i be plugging my mic into the new sound card??

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:09 AM

Right, get a new card
Uninstall the onboard audio drivers, restart to get at your BIOS and disable the onboard audio there
Then install the new card and it's drivers

Diablo SV
  • Diablo SV

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2003 - 09:49 AM

The problem is because you have a stupid lame onboard soundcard, everyone in the community knows these problems. My ex-GTA3 works with my SB Live, and all these games today use Sound Blaster cards.

I have a Gigabyte 845E M-Board with a counstructed onboard Sound card, so I found out that the sound keeps disappearing. So I just setted-up by good 'ol SB Live.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users