9700 Pro and Vice City Nightmare

10 replies to this topic
Cyburg
  • Cyburg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 12:25 AM

Hello everyone,

If you use the Radeon 9700 Pro chipset and are thinking of updating your drivers to v3.27.88 then you may want to read about my experience:

OK, a few days ago I had a perfectly working install of Vice City; since then I have updated the drivers for my Sapphire Radeon 9700 AIW Pro to the latest version, v3.27.88.

I ran into problems as soon as I tried to run Vice City, the Rockstar screen appears fine, the intro movie plays fine and the loading screen is visible, but then it all starts to go Pete Tong. :angry:

I get so much corruption on the main game menu that I can't see any options; looks to me like a game menu graphics file (containing chars) being displayed on the screen with Vice City flashing occasionally at the top. :furious:

I have already followed the advice given on the Take 2 Games Support Site and deleted the files listed below from my game dirs (only GTA_VC.SET was actually there), but it didn't help:
GTA_VC.SET
TXD.DIR
TXD.IMG
CAPS.DAT

I then tried uninstalling the game, deleted all dirs and files, and trawled the registry for garb to makes sure the beast was really gone.

Even this didn't solve the problem, I think maybe Vice City need's an update to work with these drivers (or maybe the drivers are bad, have improved performance with ALL my other games though, so I shouldn't think so), my advice would be to make an full backup before you try these drivers from ATi, I stupidly, didn't!! :sui:

Maybe someone with a 9700 Pro and a copy of Ghost could test my theory, I would be very interested to hear of any attempts to use the v3.27.88 drivers.

I would also be very grateful if any one has any alternative suggestions that may lead to a solution.

Thank you for reading,
Cyburg.

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 12:28 AM

is vice the only game this happens in or it it for all your games? and if its such a problem, then do the driver roll-back thingy and to get your previous drivers back. its not like they wont work because a newer version is out.

[TW]Fox
  • [TW]Fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:22 PM

I get this on my 9700 Pro as well. Just whack alt+tab, and then alt+tab back into the game and it fixes it.

ManOfAThousandNames
  • ManOfAThousandNames

Free Falling

• Members

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:29 PM

I still don't get why ANYONE buys ATi cards.

Most of the time games hate them and NViDiA usually has a faster card.

9700 and 9800 were faster then the FX 5800, but the 5900 is faster.

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 15 June 2003 - 06:43 AM

Quote (ManOfAThousandNames @ June 14 2003,16:29)

irrelavent, the 5900 is not even out yet, and for about 6 months the radeon 9700 pro dominated all. i am actualy a nvidiot but facts are facts. and the 5800, after the updates and fixes from Nvidia, was above a 9700 pro.

gluttony
  • gluttony

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2003 - 03:20 PM

Iv had a really similar problem with mine, i have a saphire radeon 9500 s/w modded to a 9700, updated to catalyst 3.4 and i get the same problem with the first menu. it goes away if i alt+tab out and back in but i now get texture corruption in the game and random shapes appearing from nowhere. it seems to only happen in Vice City, GTA3 works fine, and all of my other games work fine. iv tried everything i can think of! does anyone have any ideas?

mafia mupa
  • mafia mupa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2003 - 04:51 PM

mine comp freezes after intro with 3dconnect radeon 9700 pro
and i cant do anything after intro not even alt+ctrl+del.
i have tried every drivers to everything and resolutions with all color depths...nothing helps
im running windows ME, what a about u guys, what windows u have?

Why i dont have any files on my GTA user files?

Rondel Hazmat
  • Rondel Hazmat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2003 - 07:50 PM

like everyone has been saying for an entire month all over the net: "turn the frame limiter on"

fixes all the 3.4 problems.  you only have to alt+tab out and back to access the options and then never again

Cyburg
  • Cyburg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Atomic178, this only happens when I run VC, I had already rolled back to the previous driver release, which allows me to run the game, bit of a bummer though as the new ATi drivers offer a significant increase in performance and quality over the old set when running other games; I believe Rockstar maybe need to address this issue with a patch, and will forward this thread to their technical support department.

ManOfAThousandNames; I bought the Radeon 9700 AIW Pro because when I built my machine it was the most powerful and feature rich gfx card available to me; I have had no other issues with the gfx card at all, if your after a great gfx card BUY ONE!!   :colgate:

Rondel Hazmat; I have never run VC without the frame limiter turned on so that is obviously not an issue with this problem.

Mafia Mupa; If you have never successfully run the game I don't think there will be any configuration, or save game data present in your user files folder.

BTW, I am running VC with the follwing:

Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Intel Pentium 4 2533Mhz
Soyo SY-P4X400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition 533Mhz FSB
Sapphire The Beast All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro 128Mb
Creative Audigy 2 Platinum EX
Cambridge Megaworks 510 5.1 THX Audio System
Enermax EG651P-VE Diamond Blue 550W PSU
2 x 512Mb PC3200 DDR RAM
1 x Quantum Fireball 4.3Gb
1 x Western Digital Caviar WD600AB 7200RPM 60Gb 2Mb Cache
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 7200RPM 120Gb 8Mb Cache
Plextor PX-W2410TA
Lite-On LTD-165H DVD
Chieftec Dragon Full-Tower DA-01SLD
Macpower Digidoc 5 Silver
Cooled by Thermaltake

Hardy
  • Hardy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:50 AM

Quote (Atomic178 @ June 15 2003,08:43)
Quote (ManOfAThousandNames @ June 14 2003,16:29)

irrelavent, the 5900 is not even out yet, and for about 6 months the radeon 9700 pro dominated all. i am actualy a nvidiot but facts are facts. and the 5800, after the updates and fixes from Nvidia, was above a 9700 pro.

Please turn on 6x Anti Alias and 8x Anisotropic Filtering on your nVidia cards and try to have fun at 1600x1200.   :p

PS: I'm using a GF4, but I like the Radeon. I will upgrade when it becomes necessary. Until then I enjoy the silence of my Abit Siluro. :)

Cyburg
  • Cyburg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2003 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Hardy; I have already tried to run it with all filters off and texture quality to a minimum (in advanced display properties, D3D tab, using ATI Control Panel v6.14.10.5006 and Catalyst Radeon v3.27.88 drivers), didn't make any difference, game locked up in same place. :(

Sounds like you may have found a solution for the nVidia users though. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users