Problem: sound fx gone ?

15 replies to this topic
aceadrian1
  • aceadrian1

Ace

• Members

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:46 PM

Hi

GTA VC has been running fine for a couple of weeks now suddenly there are no sound effects  :/ the radios are fine and police radio frequencies but everything else is dead  :dozing:  does anybody have any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Ace  :sui:

Purple9
  • Purple9

WARNING: Contains Horse

• The Precinct

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:57 PM

Check the sound is properly installed in your computer; check sound is configured correctly in your Vice Folder..

But as you say, it worked fine before..hmm..how frustrating..just do it by trial and error, man.. try things to make it work..and if not, a new sound card! Your sound card may not be upto Vice's Standard!

:)

aceadrian1
  • aceadrian1

Ace

• Members

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:55 AM

thanks for your suggestions. i will have a fiddle around, but a new sound card... dang im outta cash @ the mo and i have a whole list of upgrades for my pc hehe  :) i will be fitting a new hard drive soon and i will be reinstalling windows and all my progs, so hopefully it will run ok then  :/ and if not then my fist will be going through my monitor hehe  :D

ty

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 04:40 AM

what sound card do you have? having that info would be very helpful.

btw, resize your sig to 468x70

Boef
  • Boef

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 06:21 AM

The problems of Aceadrian are the same i have, the strange thing is that other programms runs just fine. I thinks also the the problem of no sound effects comes easier when you're half way in the game then when i started.

so who have the answer i dont think a new sound card would help. never had any problems with the onboard card

Canadian Drunkard
  • Canadian Drunkard

Canadian Drinking Team

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 05:08 PM

Same exact thing happened to me today. VC has worked properly for weeks, however now there is no SFX but the music and the police chatter are still working.

I ran Dxdiag's sound test with an interesting result. I could not hear the Mono 8 bit 22Khz Hardware buffer test!  Thus the following error was reported by dxdiag:
DirectSound test results: Failure at step 20 (User verification of hardware): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

I have the latest version of Direct X 9.0a installed and the latest Creative drivers installed for my Creative Live! Value card.  It appears to be a compatibility issue between DX9 and the latest Creative drivers.

Quantum_Destabilizer
  • Quantum_Destabilizer

Ukraine Forever!!!

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 05:36 PM

Same for me I had that sound then yesterday my father installed some audio utilities, and SFX are gone, and I can't play w/out sound.
But GTA3 still have them! Isn't that strange (they use same engines)

Canadian Drunkard
  • Canadian Drunkard

Canadian Drinking Team

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 05:48 PM

Ok I have fired off an email to [email protected]  explaining the problem and gave them a link to this thread.  I suggest that all affected do the same.

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 06:22 PM

Yall know that direct x is a display program that has nothing to do with sound right?

Canadian Drunkard
  • Canadian Drunkard

Canadian Drinking Team

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 06:55 PM

Atomic... do me a favour.... Click Start> Run> and type in dxdiag
now... click on Sound tab at the top.... what does it say half way down the screen? Well, I'll give you a clue, it says "Direct X Features: Direct Sound Hardware Acceleration"

The Direct X software suite contains: Video, Sound, Input, and Network support.  Everything a growing boy needs.

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 13 June 2003 - 07:01 PM

Quote (Canadian Drunkard @ June 13 2003,13:55)
Atomic... do me a favour.... Click Start> Run> and type in dxdiag
now... click on Sound tab at the top.... what does it say half way down the screen? Well, I'll give you a clue, it says "Direct X Features: Direct Sound Hardware Acceleration"

The Direct X software suite contains: Video, Sound, Input, and Network support.  Everything a growing boy needs.

imagine that.....

ok then maybe dx has the ability to test sound options but i still stick to my statement that direct x does more with video than audio, and that its not a primary driver source for audio while the main drivers for your sound card, or device, are.

Canadian Drunkard
  • Canadian Drunkard

Canadian Drinking Team

• Members

Posted 15 June 2003 - 03:38 PM

Has anybody had any luck solving this issue yet?  I have not recieved a reply from  :r*:  yet.

Boef
  • Boef

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2003 - 11:28 AM

I like to know if everybody is using an onboard soundcard. my motherboard is an Asus

Canadian Drunkard
  • Canadian Drunkard

Canadian Drinking Team

• Members

Posted 16 June 2003 - 04:06 PM

Here is the reply from Take 2 Support:

have some suggestions for you to help get the GTA Vice City sounds up and running properly on your system.

First make sure that the software (or "drivers") for your computer´s sound device are Direct X 9 compatible. If you are unsure that your drivers are compatible, then contact the manufacturer of your sound device (for example, check their web page) for more information.  If you are certain your sound drivers and sound device are Direct X 9.0 compatible, then try the suggestion below.

Motherboard based sound chips ("integrated sound chips"):
We have found certain motherboard based sound chipsets do not report having a hardware sound buffer, and crash with Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. We found that running Microsoft´s "DXDIAG" and performing the sound tests, will present the user with an error message saying that a hardware buffer is not supported, and would you like to use a software buffer. Selecting a software buffer will allow this sound chipset to work with Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Sound Provider:
The first time you launch Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, we auto-detect the best sound provider for your available Sound Card. You can also manually select alternatives.  Providers which are not compatible with your Sound Card will not be selectable.

DO YOU HAVE A PARTITIONED HARD DRIVE, OR MORE THAN ONE HARD DRIVE IN YOUR COMPUTER?
f this is the case, make sure you install GTA Vice City in the primary partition or hard disk (this is most likely labeled "C:").

--WINDOWS XP USERS:  Try to play the game in "Windows Compatibility Mode."  In order to do this, you need to have a shortcut to GTA Vice City.  To make one, simply right-click on the GTA Vice City EXE icon in the directory where you installed the game, then select "Create Shortcut" from the menu that appears.  After this shortcut is created, follow these steps:

· Right click on the shortcut link of the program that you want to fix.
· Click on Properties.
· Click on the Compatibility tab.
· Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
· Windows 95
· Windows 98
· Windows NT 4
· Windows 2000
· Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is necessary for the program to work correctly:
· Run in 256 colors.
· Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
· Disable visual themes.
· Click on Apply.
· Click on Ok.
· Double click on the program.
- Be sure to change your in-game resolution to 1024 x 768 x 16-bit or lower.

Hope this helps!

Steve Thomas
Tech Support
Take2 Baltimore
9AM - 5PM EST, M-F

Canadian Drunkard
  • Canadian Drunkard

Canadian Drinking Team

• Members

Posted 16 June 2003 - 04:09 PM

I have a Creative Labs Live! Value card.  I wonder if the newest Creative drivers are not 100% Direct X 9 compatible

Canadian Drunkard
  • Canadian Drunkard

Canadian Drinking Team

• Members

Posted 16 June 2003 - 05:32 PM

Got mine working guys.  I selected Direct3d Software from the sound menu.  Funny how Creative Labs EAX stopped working all of a sudden.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users